Wikiposts

MSc + 1.5yrs experience

Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:57 am
Just Joined

jamezz34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MSc + 1.5yrs experience

I've done a lot of reading on the subject of emigrating to australia but im finding it hard to determine whether or not i would be eligible to work in australia other than for a working holiday. Seem plently of websites wanting to assess you but I really have had spam email for now.

Basically got BSc and MSc in Accounting/Finance with 1.5yrs of Accounts experience (PQ CIMA). Am I completely deluded in thinking I could emigrate?

Cheers for the help, much appreciated
Old Oct 5th 2012, 1:07 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MSc + 1.5yrs experience

Originally Posted by jamezz34
I've done a lot of reading on the subject of emigrating to australia but im finding it hard to determine whether or not i would be eligible to work in australia other than for a working holiday. Seem plently of websites wanting to assess you but I really have had spam email for now.

Basically got BSc and MSc in Accounting/Finance with 1.5yrs of Accounts experience (PQ CIMA). Am I completely deluded in thinking I could emigrate?

Hi and welcome to BE. It seems you got yourself familiar with the basics, but just in case - the skilled process starts with the skills assessment and (in some cases) an English test, then you can file a Expression of Interest. You need to check if you meet the rest of eligibility criteria, such as age (does not seem to be an issue), not having a substantial criminal record and be in good health to name just a few. The EoI are selected based on the score - have a look at the points test/visa wizard on immi.gov.au to see where you are at.

in any case, the starting point would be to get your skills assessed, so you map your education and experience to one or the other code in the immi.gov.au/asri database and check two things - if the code is listed in the Skilled Occupation List or on Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (define which visa you can eventually go for) and the assessment authority requirements to get your background vetted as eligible for migration. You can read this go get an idea of what they want and whether or not you can provide it. http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/r...migration.html

WHV is a good visa to get there quickly, but you may have hard time getting employed in your profession, which could in turn ruin your chances to get something more permanent. Not to say nobody got past the bartendering on a WHV, people migrated using this as a vehicle to get in in person and eventually settle, but if you have a shot at a permanent visa, I'd rather do that then mess around with a temporary visa.

Hope this moves you in a right direction.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

shah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: MSc + 1.5yrs experience

Originally Posted by jamezz34

Welcome to BE. Go through DIAC site in detail, you will find everything there. To round it up, you need to nominate an occupation from the Skill Occupation List, give IELTS (if required), apply for a skill assessment with the relevant assessing body against your nominated occupation, and make sure you score minimum 60 points, based on your age, experience, degree, etc - the more points you score the better.