British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   MPsych Graduate Skills Assessment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/mpsych-graduate-skills-assessment-903637/)

mwrowell Sep 21st 2017 7:20 am

MPsych Graduate Skills Assessment

Hi there, i am looking to emigrate on the 189 skill select via the psychologist route. I have just completed a four year undergraduate masters degree (MPsych) back in the UK. This contains a normal BSc with honours & a masters level degree, but gets you around from paying for the final masters year on your own - they call it a 'master of psychology degree'.

Now i know the APA require the equivalent of six years studying psychology for someone to enter. However, i seem to have the same qualifications as someone would after 6 years studying here in australia - just with a different/one title...

Do the APA see my undergraduate masters (MPsych) as the same level as an MSc? If so i means i can successfully apply.

I was wondering if anyone who has been through the process/understands the APA qualifications assessment in more depth than i do could help.

Thankyou!

verystormy Sep 21st 2017 9:53 am

Re: MPsych Graduate Skills Assessment

Originally Posted by mwrowell (Post 12343023)
Hi there, i am looking to emigrate on the 189 skill select via the psychologist route. I have just completed a four year undergraduate masters degree (MPsych) back in the UK. This contains a normal BSc with honours & a masters level degree, but gets you around from paying for the final masters year on your own - they call it a 'master of psychology degree'.

Now i know the APA require the equivalent of six years studying psychology for someone to enter. However, i seem to have the same qualifications as someone would after 6 years studying here in australia - just with a different/one title...

Do the APA see my undergraduate masters (MPsych) as the same level as an MSc? If so i means i can successfully apply.

I was wondering if anyone who has been through the process/understands the APA qualifications assessment in more depth than i do could help.

Thankyou!

No. Your 4 years is the same as a normal degree in oz where degrees are 4 years.

goldchoccycoin Sep 23rd 2017 6:17 am

Re: MPsych Graduate Skills Assessment

I didn't go through APA but Vetassess considered my BSc (Hons) [3 years] + MSc [1 year full time] only the equivalent of a 4 year undergraduate degree from Australia.

Having subsequently taught undergraduate courses in my discipline (at a GO8 uni) I strongly disagree - but that might only be in my discipline.

Australia loves a certificate - and are super keen on being fully 'qualified' according to their standards even if the 'standard' is equal or lower than overseas.

I do know psychology is (as it should be) highly regulated (particularly clinical psychology) and they require quite a large time commitment post Masters undergoing supervised practice before being certified.

Best of luck.