Wikiposts

Moving to NZ Questions?

Old Oct 22nd 2001, 3:52 am
Mark

X-No-archive: yes

My family (Me, wife and 15 yr old daughter) and I are US citizens and have lived in
the USA (Dallas, Texas) all of our lives. We are seriously considering moving to NZ.
Possibly Auckland, Christchurch, Wellington or somewhere similar. The reason for this
is for a better way of life in business and in the beauty of your country. We want to
'simplify' our lives. We understand everywhere has it's good and bad, but we are
ready for a drastic change. And we think NZ is a wonderful place.

Is there anyone out there who has lived in the US, now living in NZ, and can tell me
what it's like to live in NZ? Housing, employment, taxes, neighborhoods, cost of
living, crime, schools and the like? I know it varies from city to city just like
anywhere else. But if you could give us some of your own personal experiences and
thoughts, it would help immensely. A comparison perhaps, bullet lists, whatever you
can provide. Also, recommendations of where to consider moving within NZ would help.
I have been an IT professional for over 10 years, with an MS degree and several
computer certs, so I will likely need to be near a 'larger' city for jobs. Unless you
know of a smaller area that has a lot of jobs.

Overall, we are just tired of the 'fast pace' of American life and business, and we
want to slow down a little bit in your beautiful land. I have researched places for
almost a year. And NZ comes out on top for so many reasons.

Just for note. We have passed the 'Point' system to get residency. Now we have to do
the application process.

You can either post it here or email me privately. Thank you very much for taking the
time to help us!

Regards, Mark