British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Moving to Australia... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/moving-australia-768135/)

sherry9oct Aug 13th 2012 6:32 am

Moving to Australia...

Well I am moving to Australia but my wife is pregnant. I have already landed in australia.

So should I move to Australia for birth of my child or wait back in home country till birth and then make a move but by then my child will need to go through immigration process which may take very long i guess (or not correct me if I am not wrong)

I have Medicare can anyone guide me what medical conditions and to what extent are in covered in Medicare plus centrelink.

peaceboy Aug 13th 2012 7:41 am

Re: Moving to Australia...

Originally Posted by sherry9oct (Post 10224096)
Well I am moving to Australia but my wife is pregnant. I have already landed in australia.

So should I move to Australia for birth of my child or wait back in home country till birth and then make a move but by then my child will need to go through immigration process which may take very long i guess (or not correct me if I am not wrong)

I have Medicare can anyone guide me what medical conditions and to what extent are in covered in Medicare plus centrelink.

Hi,

Is your wife in your PR? if yes what are you expecting by leaving her in your birth country? if she gives birth to your child in Australia your child will be a born citizen else you need to apply for a child visa which i feel that unnecessary hassle in your case.

Cheers,
PB :thumbup:

mrsgreenstar76 Aug 13th 2012 7:48 am

Originally Posted by peaceboy (Post 10224178)
Hi,

Is your wife in your PR? if yes what are you expecting by leaving her in your birth country? if she gives birth to your child in Australia your child will be a born citizen else you need to apply for a child visa which i feel that unnecessary hassle in your case.

Cheers,
PB :thumbup:

He doesn't have PR - he has a 475. So the child (if born in Australia) would have to be added to their visa.

Tramps_mate Aug 13th 2012 9:26 am

Would the child be given citizenship?

sherry9oct Aug 13th 2012 9:27 am

I am on PR and my wife is on PR too. But moving to a new country looking for job and going to hospital and stuff plus having no body when you are not at home. like its difficult to leave some body at home alone with medical conditions.

sherry9oct Aug 13th 2012 9:28 am

If mother and father are on PR then the child will be citizen

sherry9oct Aug 13th 2012 9:41 am

My reson for this thread was to ask how is the medical system in Australia. See its our first child so we both have no idea like what to do. As I have no one in australia that I know that can help us (experience wise). I will be giving up my job in my home country and in australia I will be jobless durring my child birth (how much medicare can help). So my reason for asking this question was that should I delay my move to Australia or I should go with it and it will not be that difficult to move to australia.

Dorothy Aug 13th 2012 9:42 am

Originally Posted by sherry9oct (Post 10224340)
I am on PR and my wife is on PR too. But moving to a new country looking for job and going to hospital and stuff plus having no body when you are not at home. like its difficult to leave some body at home alone with medical conditions.

Having a baby is not a "medical condition". It's a normal, natural part of life. Millions of women do it every day.

It's really up to you and your wife what you do. If it were me I would come to Australia before the baby is born so he/she is born in Australia. That way the baby is automatically an Australian citizen and you don't have to go through the hassle of applying for his/her visa and waiting many months for it to be come.

If your wife really wants or needs support then why not have her mother come over for a holiday around the time the baby is due for a couple of months?

With Medicare you are entitled to prenatal care and the birth in a public hospital.

Tramps_mate Aug 13th 2012 10:32 am

I thought that a baby takes same status as the parents. i.e. if the parents aren't citizens then the baby doesn't assume citizenship..

Bermudashorts Aug 13th 2012 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate (Post 10224431)
I thought that a baby takes same status as the parents. i.e. if the parents aren't citizens then the baby doesn't assume citizenship..

If the parents (or one of) are on a PR visa and the baby is born in Australia then it is born a citizen.

If the parents (or one of) possess a PR visa but the baby is born outside Australia then the baby has no status at all for Australian immigration purposes and the parents have to apply for a visa for baby.

If the parents are on a temporary or provisional visa, like the 475 (which somebody mentioned OP has) then if the baby is born in Australia it will automatically assume a 475 visa status too.

If parents are on a temporary or provisional visa and the baby is born outside Australia, then (this is the one I am not sure of) the parents need to apply to get the baby the same visa as they hold.

peaceboy Aug 13th 2012 11:40 am

Originally Posted by sherry9oct (Post 10224342)
If mother and father are on PR then the child will be citizen

YES!

peaceboy Aug 13th 2012 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10224438)
If the parents (or one of) are on a PR visa and the baby is born in Australia then it is born a citizen.

If the parents (or one of) possess a PR visa but the baby is born outside Australia then the baby has no status at all for Australian immigration purposes and the parents have to apply for a visa for baby.

If the parents are on a temporary or provisional visa, like the 475 (which somebody mentioned OP has) then if the baby is born in Australia it will automatically assume a 475 visa status too.

If parents are on a temporary or provisional visa and the baby is born outside Australia, then (this is the one I am not sure of) the parents need to apply to get the baby the same visa as they hold.

Well explained and I hope the doubts are now cleared.. :thumbup:

Pollyana Aug 13th 2012 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by sherry9oct (Post 10224361)
My reson for this thread was to ask how is the medical system in Australia. See its our first child so we both have no idea like what to do. As I have no one in australia that I know that can help us (experience wise). I will be giving up my job in my home country and in australia I will be jobless durring my child birth (how much medicare can help). So my reason for asking this question was that should I delay my move to Australia or I should go with it and it will not be that difficult to move to australia.

Have a browse through the main forum, which is designed for lifestyle questions while this one is more for visa issues.
Many people there have experienced childbirth in Australia and will be able to give you their views :)
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54

sherry9oct Sep 4th 2012 7:29 am

I lost my baby :(

old.sparkles Sep 4th 2012 7:40 am

Originally Posted by sherry9oct (Post 10262744)

That's so sad - is your wife okay?

mrsgreenstar76 Sep 4th 2012 8:07 am

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Dorothy Sep 4th 2012 9:44 am

I'm really sorry to hear that Sherry. Take care of yourself and your wife at this difficult time.

sherry9oct Sep 4th 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks god she is fine now...I am very sad had so many things planned

moneypenny20 Sep 4th 2012 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by sherry9oct (Post 10263184)
Thanks god she is fine now...I am very sad had so many things planned

Very sad news but your wife being well is excellent news.

peaceboy Sep 4th 2012 12:57 pm

OMG! thats so SAD! is your wife ok? :unsure:

sherry9oct Sep 5th 2012 7:59 am

yes