Visa Help needed

Old Nov 10th 2017, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

chan012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Help needed

Hi All,

Apologies If this has been posted before but I am just after a little bit of info regarding the 457 visa.
My friends received their 457 visa a couple of weeks ago and they have been told that they had to have the Visa for 3 years to enable them to apply for residency which also needed to happen before he turns 45.

Question is the Visa was granted in Oct, he turned 42 this week but won’t be arriving to activate the Visa until late Dec/ Early Jan. Does the required 3 years start from the date the Visa was issued which will mean he can apply for residency just before his 45 birthday or does the required 3 years start on they day he arrives to activate / starts employment with the sponsor which could then mean he will already be 45 and not able to apply for residency

Thanks in advance
Lynn
Old Nov 11th 2017, 2:48 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Help needed

Originally Posted by chan012
Hi All,

Apologies If this has been posted before but I am just after a little bit of info regarding the 457 visa.
My friends received their 457 visa a couple of weeks ago and they have been told that they had to have the Visa for 3 years to enable them to apply for residency which also needed to happen before he turns 45.

Question is the Visa was granted in Oct, he turned 42 this week but won’t be arriving to activate the Visa until late Dec/ Early Jan. Does the required 3 years start from the date the Visa was issued which will mean he can apply for residency just before his 45 birthday or does the required 3 years start on they day he arrives to activate / starts employment with the sponsor which could then mean he will already be 45 and not able to apply for residency

Thanks in advance
Lynn
The 457 doesn't have a straightforward path to residency like the 489 does. He can be sponsored for permanent residency at any time by his employer if his profession is on the list & he has the requisite skills assessment. He wouldn't need a skills assessment if he has worked for the employer for two years. If he doesn't want to be employer sponsored for PR, then he will need to apply for PR independently (i.e. through SkillSelect under a 189 or 190 (state sponsored)).

If he hasn't secured sponsorship for PR from his employer, or applied for PR separately, by the end of his visa, then he'll have to leave Australia.