Wikiposts

MODL question

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MODL question

Originally Posted by DUTSKI
Thanks Jeremy,
#
Yes I agree, I have been on the IEAust and the UKEng orgs and we believe he would qualify under the Civil Engineering Technologist rather than Civil Engineer, however he does not have the up to date experience therefore I don't hink we can use this route.
One of the most common myths about skilled migration is that you must get a skill assessment based on your current occupation. Wrong. With some exceptions to the rule, you can usually select a different SOL occupation if the skill assessment process suits you better.

For Washington/Sydney Accord assessments, IEA does not look at work experience - only the degree. DIMIA will look for work experience, but any SOL occupation will do - not necessarily your nominated occupation.

All that said, there are numerous exceptions to the above where it will *not* work to try this route of using a different occupation for skill assessment. These are complex and anyone contemplating getting a skill assessment in a 'different' occupation needs good professional advice.

However, I am taking your advise and consulting an agent about this.
Make sure you choose an agent expert in skilled migration. Not all agents know much about the technicalities involved in having work experience in one skilled occupation, with a skill assessment in another.

Just out of interest, is the ACS process more painful than Vetassess then? I don't think my job (IT Project Manager, which I beleive fits best under the 1224-11 description) would fit into a vetassess role?
If you have a degree equivalent to an Australian bachelors (any subject) then Vetassess will be a lot easier. Pick a 50 point occupation that's as close as possible to your work experience, eg Management Consultant.

Vetassess do not care about degree subject.

Jeremy
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian0
The only time I have seen booklet 6 mention having 2 skills assessments was for the case when you nominate a 40 or 50 point occupation but use a 60 point occupation for recent work experience (the opposite of your case).
It depends on circumstances but often there's no problem using a 50 point nominated occupation with work experience in a 60 point occupation - eg if the work experience is in IT, and the nominated occupation is Mathematician or Management Consultant.

But there are lots of exceptions to the rule. It is *not* a do-it-yourself area.

It's much more complex if the nominated occupation is a 40 point one, but the work experience is in a 50 or 60 point occupation, as DIMIA may decide the skill level is not met.

I don't know what you exactly need to prove this work experience, but perhaps one of the agents on the site could give you more advice on that front.

Cheers,
Brian
Work references are the usual way.

Jeremy
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

A quick question Spottydog, did you apply as a 1224-11 Info Tech Mgr?

Kind Regards
Dutski
That's what I was assessed as, I've sent you a PM.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 10:51 am
Just Joined

DUTSKI is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spottydog
That's what I was assessed as, I've sent you a PM.
Spottydog,

Haven't received the PM, could you please re-send?

Thanks to all for your advice, hopefully will get a view form an experienced agent soon and will let you know,

Cheers
Dutski
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 10:53 am
Just Joined

DUTSKI is an unknown quantity at this point

Spottydog, please ignore last message, have found it!!!

Spottydog,

Haven't received the PM, could you please re-send?

Thanks to all for your advice, hopefully will get a view form an experienced agent soon and will let you know,

Cheers
Dutski