Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Originally Posted by MrsE
I know we could also get more points if he did an IELTS test - not sure how many points though.
Ten - so you would need family sponsorship unless you could find another five down the back of the sofa. I hope you are not including MODL points in your total (I've not read all the thread closely). If so, you have a problem.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Hi - thanks. Nope - none behind the sofa unfortunately! So I guess it's the family sponsorship route then!

Anyone else done the skilled visa via family sponsorship? How long does that take? I guess it all depends whether or not Accountants remain on the CSL?

Originally Posted by louie
Ten - so you would need family sponsorship unless you could find another five down the back of the sofa. I hope you are not including MODL points in your total (I've not read all the thread closely). If so, you have a problem.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Pozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nice

Im also planning to apply later this year and lose the 15 points from the MODL situation. This leaves me with 115.

I gather the IELTS will take me back up, but I cant imagine the MODL wont be replaced with something otherwise there will be 1,000's in professional occupations that are just short on the points needed.

Im waiting with baited breath!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Yeah - us too! Feel as though we are in no mans land at the moment. Have you been out there yet? WHen are you going to apply?

Originally Posted by Pozz
Im also planning to apply later this year and lose the 15 points from the MODL situation. This leaves me with 115.

I gather the IELTS will take me back up, but I cant imagine the MODL wont be replaced with something otherwise there will be 1,000's in professional occupations that are just short on the points needed.

Im waiting with baited breath!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Pozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nice

Im applying in August to get it in before im 35, but allowing enough time to get my skills assessment info, and enough time to support my relationship as defacto.

I physically cant do it any earlier which is the frustrating part.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

charw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant future

Hi Bermudashorts

Yes, we go for a 5 week reccie mid march - not long now - yippee! I'm hoping accountants aren't taken off If they are I'm assuming we still get the 60 points for him being an accountant? That will take us down to 105 points. Hubby does have an aunt and uncle out there so we could get sponsorship I guess so we would only need 100 points. I know we acould also get more points if he did an IELTS test - not sure how many points though.
It's highly probable that there will be a cap for no of grants for accountants in the time to come ( provided that SOL retains profession & in my opinion it's yes ). So that once the planning levels reach rest of accountants have to wait until next program year to get theirs processed. Some indications of such a move was indicated in minister's speech yesterday.

On the other hand raising the English bar for accountants would mean less no of grants already, wrt to earlier scenario,
Old Feb 9th 2010, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Trust me, the "treats and tricks" used by UK based migrants pales into insignificance when compared to those used by overseas students within Australia.

Typical are catering colleges with no kitchens, and hairdressing schools that are actually hair salons where the students sweep floors for no pay for 2 years, then apply as a skilled migrant.

Sadly I personally know many students who are abusing the system, and they would probably make good Australians, however they have no interest and no ability to take the jobs that they are being admitted under.
Australia will still need skilled migrants in many areas, so I really wouldn’t give up hope yet.

But the days of rorting the system will come to an end.

I personally feel very sorry for those right now who feel let down, disappointed and worried about their migration hopes. Please don’t give up.....

My question is this...so Accounting was on the CSL but now it won't even be there, it seems? I had intended to go to school in Australia and get accounting, do the CPA certs and emigrate that way, but is it futile now? I looked just a couple of months ago and saw something like over 2500 accounting vacancies nationwide. Can't tell me there isn't a shortage of them.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Brav

It hasn't actually been said that they are taking Accountants off the list. I wouldn't have thought so but even so, we have to wait til the list comes out at the end of April I guess. How frustrating

Originally Posted by Brav
My question is this...so Accounting was on the CSL but now it won't even be there, it seems? I had intended to go to school in Australia and get accounting, do the CPA certs and emigrate that way, but is it futile now? I looked just a couple of months ago and saw something like over 2500 accounting vacancies nationwide. Can't tell me there isn't a shortage of them.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:05 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brav

It hasn't actually been said that they are taking Accountants off the list. I wouldn't have thought so but even so, we have to wait til the list comes out at the end of April I guess. How frustrating
IMO they'd probably keep accountants on the list but with higher work experience and/or English skills requirements.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

capetosydney will become famous soon enoughcapetosydney will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by commonwealth
IMO they'd probably keep accountants on the list but with higher work experience and/or English skills requirements.
Tighten up on skill assessment process, as that is where the issue seems to be, and number of people qualifying will drop. I had to prove 6 years of IT experience, plus a degree (which alraedy makes it grand total of 10 years) plus 3 years exact IT experience before ACS was even willing to asses my skills as Oz equivalent of IT degree. No free or easy ride there, can’t be done overnight or through 12 month course.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'd like to think so too (positive thinking!) Hubby and are both english and he has many years experience as an account nt

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to think so too (positive thinking!) Hubby and are both english and he has many years experience as an account nt
The media keeps saying that Accountants will be off the list as there are too many – same situation with Hairdressers and Cooks.

But again, it’s still speculation at this point.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Duncan_Mc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What happens if your occupation is removed?

Hi

Hubby's occupation is currently on the CSL (Accountant) but we don't plan to apply for a visa until after our reccie in April. If we apply for a visa in April and they subsequently remove Accountants from the CSL in June does this mean that a refund will be given or do we just lose out as we don't have enough points? I understand the new thing is the SOL and replaces the CSL.

Thanks
New SOL will replace old SOL not CSL. It's a huge difference.

New SOL will apply to all applications lodged after 08/02/2010. But it doesnot exist right now. Got the trick?

So, If you apply now under existing SOL and then accountants are no longer in a NEW SOL it might make your application invalid. Not just losing CSL gueue.

However, I think accountants will remain in SOL but with additional provisions like IELTS 7.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:47 am
Just Joined

leo_mean_lion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What happens if your occupation is removed?

Originally Posted by Duncan_Mc
New SOL will replace old SOL not CSL. It's a huge difference.

New SOL will apply to all applications lodged after 08/02/2010. But it doesnot exist right now. Got the trick?

So, If you apply now under existing SOL and then accountants are no longer in a NEW SOL it might make your application invalid. Not just losing CSL gueue.

However, I think accountants will remain in SOL but with additional provisions like IELTS 7.
I have read from DIAC website that new SOL will be announced on 30 April 2010 and it will take effect from mid 2010.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

engr_kiiuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Bad impact of 8th February on the pending visa grant applicant.

Hi friends,

After the change of 8th February, i think there is something bad impact on the pending visa grant applicant. Before 8th February, in my research, i found that the visa grant of 175 category was started for July 09 Applicants. Though there are still some applicants of April, May 09. However, some applicants of HR countries (like Pakistan) are waiting for long time, but the reasons are mostly due to the external security check, which is mostly done by the government agencies of the applicants. Another fact is that the change on priority processing on and after 23 September, emphasize mostly on CSL. It reduced the speed of applicant who have state sponsorship but not included in CSL/MODL. So lots of 175 category applicant were getting visas based on the CSL. But from the end of 2009, we saw a slow speed in visa grant due to the ongoing review on MODL. And in 8th February change, we find that the minister is surely emphasizing on State government sponsorship. In last two days, we saw some applicants out of CSL/MODL but having state sponsorship got their visa surprisingly, whereas visa for 175 Category have no sound. A frozen silence in the visa grant of June 09, July 09. In viewing the change in priority processing and minister emphasis, I think the CO's are now reviewing the applicants and they are mostly looking for those who have state sponsorship of 2008 and 2009, whatever they are in CSL or not. Also there would be silence capping of the applicants of, which was found less demand in recent review. And may be in other cases, grant might slow down after it reaches certain number for a certain category. Moreover, the CSL will be revoke from June this year. So, I think the recent change on 8th February, has made a great impact on the possibility of the visa grant of pending applicants. It might bring further delay on pending visa grant and who knows what it will be if an applicant remains pending after the CSL revoke on June 09. Surely, the state sponsored applicants of CSL are safe but I feel the great danger for the non sponsored, Independent CSL 175 category applicants. I am curious to see any news of 175 category visa grant. Thoughts
But still I hope the good only.
Regards,
Engr_kiiuk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.