457 and state issues

Old Nov 4th 2017, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Charz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 and state issues

Hi

Bit of confusion here hope someone can help.

I currently work in Perth as a 'programme and project administrator' on a working holiday visa (so this occupation is now on 2 years only sponsor list as on STSOL).

I am looking at this particular occupation on the website (link below) to understand which state 'could' sponsor me (457) and here lies the confusion. There is a green tick for this occupation in the first table against 457, then in the table below (regarding 190 and 489 visas), the secton for WA has red crosses for these two visas

So the question is, does a 457 have state restriction for sponsorship like the permanent pathway clearly does or not, I.e, am I wasting my time in WA or is it feasibly possible to acquire sponsorship.

Many thanks!

P.s I can't paste the website link as I have less than 5 posts so I'll try and get around that below...

www . anzscosearch . com / 511112
Old Nov 4th 2017, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 and state issues

Due to the economic downturn, Western Australia is no longer offering state sponsorship for permanent visas. This was announced by the McGowan Government when it took office.

457s are employer-sponsored, not state-sponsored.

Are you able to apply for a 189? That is a permanent, unrestricted visa that does not require sponsorship and would allow you to live where you want.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

A 457 is an employer sponsored temporary visa which in your case would be for up to two years and with the potential to renew for up to two years.

State sponsored visas are the 190 and 489. WA will not sponsor your occupation. You could look at other states but they may take a poor view if you attempt to while living in WA
Old Nov 4th 2017, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Thank a lot for the reply!

I actually didn't realise the 189 and 190 visas were different one being state and other just skilled, so thanks for that

Unfortunately my current occupational is on STSOL and not MTLSOL which means there's no entry via 189.

I think that leaves hoping for employer sponsorship (457) for up to 2 years with potential for a further 2 years but that will be a very long shot looking at the criteria

Time for a re-think!!

Originally Posted by carcajou
Due to the economic downturn, Western Australia is no longer offering state sponsorship for permanent visas. This was announced by the McGowan Government when it took office.

457s are employer-sponsored, not state-sponsored.

Are you able to apply for a 189? That is a permanent, unrestricted visa that does not require sponsorship and would allow you to live where you want.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Update* just answered my own question by looking, only Tasmania will give state sponsorship for this occupation!!!!

Thanks for the message

I wasn't clear on the state sponsorship side so this really helps. I assume if my occupation is on the short term list I won't be able to apply for state sponsorship in another state anyway because I need an occupation on the medium to long terms list?

Originally Posted by verystormy
A 457 is an employer sponsored temporary visa which in your case would be for up to two years and with the potential to renew for up to two years.

State sponsored visas are the 190 and 489. WA will not sponsor your occupation. You could look at other states but they may take a poor view if you attempt to while living in WA

Last edited by Charz; Nov 4th 2017 at 10:48 am. Reason: Adding more info
Old Nov 4th 2017, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure?

Taken from the Immi web site for the 190:

"you will need to nominate an occupation that is included in the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) subject to the occupation specific exclusions specified in the tables below – see section 7 and 8 of IMMI 17/072: Specification of Occupations and Assessing Authorities."

I didn't see your profession listed as an exclusion. If Tasmania is offering to sponsor that visa, you can take it, do your two years in Tasmania, and then the location restriction is lifted and you can move back to Western Australia if you want.

Verystormy, can you elaborate on your comment that the other states and territories would be prejudiced against a 190 application from someone onshore? I wouldn't think it mattered where the applicant was.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

All of the states routinely take the view from on shore applicants that there is no intent to live in the sponsoring state and routinely refuse sponsorship as a result. If the OP wants to pursue Tas sponsorship, then I would advise him to move to Tas prior to applying.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Post Re: 457 and state issues

Thanks

I was referring to the 189, which is different in that it is only MLTSSL, so yep
Tasmania would be my only option for this occupation for the 190 and state sponsor so I will look into this, thanks again!

Thanks verystormy too for that info, makes sense

Originally Posted by carcajou
Are you sure?

Taken from the Immi web site for the 190:

"you will need to nominate an occupation that is included in the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) subject to the occupation specific exclusions specified in the tables below – see section 7 and 8 of IMMI 17/072: Specification of Occupations and Assessing Authorities."

I didn't see your profession listed as an exclusion. If Tasmania is offering to sponsor that visa, you can take it, do your two years in Tasmania, and then the location restriction is lifted and you can move back to Western Australia if you want.

Verystormy, can you elaborate on your comment that the other states and territories would be prejudiced against a 190 application from someone onshore? I wouldn't think it mattered where the applicant was.