Migration Agents and skills assessments

Old Mar 9th 2001, 11:47 am
Jon

I've been in touch with a migration agent based in Perth regarding a skilled migration
visa. Now as far as I can see the main issue at stake is the skills assessment test - in
my case can I convince the ACS that my experience is satisfactory. I have a bit of a
problem here as I'm a contractor in the UK market and therefore deal with companies on a
business to business footing and have been for a number of years now. Their "tests" seem
to rely on the testimonials of people working for companies who have employed the
prospective migrants. So, what do I do - it's not a professional attitude to appraoch a
client for this type of information and some of these companies have policies which
preclude them doing this anyhow - I've asked informally. The agent has said that contracts
and employment contracts are sufficient, but the ACS website downloads seem to suggest
otherwise. Is the agent wrong? I'm also a little sceptical here as they want an initial
fee payment of around £1000 (including assessment fees) which will all be money in the pan
if the skills assessment fails. Additionally, I have a degree, non IT, but have about 15
years experience in IT so I'd probably have to rely on the recognition of prior learning.

Advice anyone?

Regards

Old Mar 9th 2001, 12:30 pm
George Lombard

Hi Jon,

Different agents have different skills and different fees. Your agent sounds close to the
market rate, but asking for everything up front is a bit stiff, particularly as it will be
three months before your visa application fee is required. We ask for our fees in two
instalments referable to the stage of processing. Happy to oblige if your agent won't
co-operate. Just make sure that they know what they are doing with your RPL.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

Jon <[email protected]>
    >
skilled
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >