British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Migrants restricted to the working in the occupation assessed on? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/migrants-restricted-working-occupation-assessed-644663/)

FutureOz2016 Dec 13th 2009 8:28 pm

Migrants restricted to the working in the occupation assessed on?

Are migrants restricted to working in the occupation that they were assessed on?

So if a migrant gets in as an IT system administrator but also has programming skills then they can't switch to programming?

Or if they're really skint, they can't stack shelves or dig the road?

Concurent Dec 13th 2009 8:41 pm

Re: Migrants restricted to the working in the occupation assessed on?

Originally Posted by FutureOz2016 (Post 8169610)
Are migrants restricted to working in the occupation that they were assessed on?

NO!

Pollyana Dec 13th 2009 8:44 pm

So if a migrant gets in as an IT system administrator but also has programming skills then they can't switch to programming?

Depends on the visa. If you are on a general skills visa, no you can do whatever you like - or even nothing at all. Some visas are employer sponsored though and then you are obviously bound to work in the position they have sponsored you for.

ashraf_fathy Dec 13th 2009 8:47 pm

Sure not, I never heard before that you must stick with the occupation you were assessed on.

you can work anything you like, the important thing is to work "any work" to get money ;)

FutureOz2016 Dec 13th 2009 8:55 pm

Blimey, quickest replies to a thread yet :D

Concurent Dec 13th 2009 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8169638)
Depends on the visa. If you are on a general skills visa, no you can do whatever you like - or even nothing at all. Some visas are employer sponsored though and then you are obviously bound to work in the position they have sponsored you for.

Maybe I am not right ... but as far as you get ENS visa you can immediately change the job.

peaceboy Dec 14th 2009 2:35 pm

Assuming you are on 175 or 176 sub class, doesnt matter you have been assesd as a Computer Professional..you can simly change your career as a hair dresser if want to once you are here in auzi...

there is no ristriction or boundary as such...

you just need to get here..then do what ever you want...no ristriction waht so ever..:thumbsup:

Plove Dec 14th 2009 6:20 pm

Does that include starting your own business ? so if I get the GSM 175 CSL Approved visa and enter Australia, can I set myself up as an independant IT consultant ?

Kind Regards

capetosydney Dec 15th 2009 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Plove (Post 8172046)
Does that include starting your own business ? so if I get the GSM 175 CSL Approved visa and enter Australia, can I set myself up as an independant IT consultant ?

Kind Regards

Yes, you can.