Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Mental health issues, visa health check advice

Mental health issues, visa health check advice

Old Aug 18th 2014, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental health issues, visa health check advice

Sugo, you seem to be the one with hang-up about mental illness - making such an issue of it.

I have suffered from depression for about 30 years and have had treatment for it all that time. I had no trouble passing my medical to come here 10 years ago, and I told the truth about it and my meds thoughout.

I don't have Medicare. My GP treats and monitors my depression - cost is $40-65 per visit, every 6-12 months, and meds cost me $20 per month. I claim some back on my insurance, but it doesn't exactly break the bank.

Please just go and get treatment and nothing will seem as threatening or as bad. I know you can't stop worrying about it but if you get help life will be so much easier for you.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

oh well, thanks for the support guys
Old Aug 18th 2014, 10:57 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

That was a great post, lesleys.

Sugo, a bit of a wake up call for you which you can take or leave. You've no doubt faced some discrimination and dodgy attitudes via your sexual orientation and mental health issues, but that giant chip on your shoulder could turn out to be a far worse burden.

You're by no means unique amongst posters on this forum, many of whom battle daily with health problems, disability, personal issues and discriminatory attitudes. A little grace towards people who attempt to help you wouldn't go astray - whether or not you agree with their advice.

Best of luck with your treatment and future plans.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 10:59 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo
There is no stigma in declaring depression on a visa medical so there would be no reason to be dishonest. You can pass the medical even with hospitalised depression. Whether you can use your private medical to pay for a visa medical though is something I have no idea about.

Also, everyone's visa medical includes a chest xray not just those working in schools or hospitals
Old Aug 19th 2014, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo
This reply is exactly why you should try and get the depression relieved. You probably wouldn't have said that if you weren't depressed. Life and other people are so much nicer when you don't have depression. I do understand what you might be going through and it would help you so much to let your defences drop a little and ask for a bit of practical support from your GP. It won't be easy or get you feeling better instantaneously but when it does work out you won't regret it.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 10:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
This reply is exactly why you should try and get the depression relieved. You probably wouldn't have said that if you weren't depressed. Life and other people are so much nicer when you don't have depression. I do understand what you might be going through and it would help you so much to let your defences drop a little and ask for a bit of practical support from your GP. It won't be easy or get you feeling better instantaneously but when it does work out you won't regret it.
Really good advice again from lesleys.

My post probably sounded harsh, but I do speak from experience and I know I appreciated a bit of 'tough love' - aka a boot up the arse (as long as it's tempered with kindness). I survived 32 years of every type of abuse you could imagine during my first marriage - strangely enough it was after I'd plucked up the courage to leave and my life was going fantastically that I fell into a heap.