Wikiposts

Meeting with Agent, result???

Old Oct 9th 2005, 3:25 am
Just Joined

Clairj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Meeting with Agent, result???

Hi

Thank you to everyone that responded to my thread regarding meeting an agent and the questions that we needed to ask.

Well my husband is a Chef by trade but over the last 10 years has progressed to management, so here is the problem we can go as a Chef but he has to work as one for 12 months, we have 2 small children (18months & 6months) and this would mean a drop in his wages by about half, I have also started to work as an estate agent Friday, St, Sun and Monday so it's not really possible to work as a chef part time (usually weekends) because of my work. Or he goes in under Management of which he has not qualifications so if he studies with OU for example he can get a Diploma in 9 months this sounds the best to me but we will hear from the agent in a week or so to see what he recommends!

Either way we are not going to be doing anything soon! Does anyone out there have similar issues??

Clair
Old Oct 9th 2005, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meeting with Agent, result???

Originally Posted by Clairj
Hi

Thank you to everyone that responded to my thread regarding meeting an agent and the questions that we needed to ask.

Well my husband is a Chef by trade but over the last 10 years has progressed to management, so here is the problem we can go as a Chef but he has to work as one for 12 months, we have 2 small children (18months & 6months) and this would mean a drop in his wages by about half, I have also started to work as an estate agent Friday, St, Sun and Monday so it's not really possible to work as a chef part time (usually weekends) because of my work. Or he goes in under Management of which he has not qualifications so if he studies with OU for example he can get a Diploma in 9 months this sounds the best to me but we will hear from the agent in a week or so to see what he recommends!

Either way we are not going to be doing anything soon! Does anyone out there have similar issues??

Clair
sounds frustrating for you clair, really sorry it didnt go as well as you had hoped. But that is where we started the ball rolling and followed the advice the agents gave to get to a stage where we are almost ready for app to go in. The more research you do the better.

Would be good to hear what the agent recommends when he gets back in touch.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 10:46 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

If husband can secure a State Nomination he may only need to return to work for 6 months ... as a State Nomination would enable you to apply for a Skills Matching visa (subclass number 134). State Nominations are on offer in WA, SA, VIC, and TAS (I haven't checked the Wanted List for all of these States to see whether Chef is on their respective Lists, but I would expect it to be there, because Chef is a MODL occupation).

I hasten to add that there are some that think you can only secure a Skills Matching visa if you find an employer to sponsor you from the Skills Matching database: not so. We have several clients who have 134 visas via the State Nomination pathway.

Happy to have a chat if you would like to send me an email.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by Clairj
Hi

Clair
Old Oct 9th 2005, 10:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
If husband can secure a State Nomination he may only need to return to work for 6 months ... as a State Nomination would enable you to apply for a Skills Matching visa (subclass number 134). .
All this presumes his existing work experience isn't acceptable - the option of being skill assessed as a chef and using work experience in another SOL occupation ought not to be ruled out.

Nor should one rule out the option of getting an Australian employer to sponsor for permanent residence through ENS or RSMS. The RSMS visa doesn't require work experience, and cities like Adelaide and Canberra are eligible.

Jeremy
Old Oct 9th 2005, 11:01 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's a fair point, Jeremy.

Clair - to expand a little on Jeremy's point: for skilled migration your recent work experience doesn't have to be in the same occupation as the one in which you obtain a positive skills assessment classification ... but it must be on the Skilled Occupations List.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by JAJ
All this presumes his existing work experience isn't acceptable - the option of being skill assessed as a chef and using work experience in another SOL occupation ought not to be ruled out.

Nor should one rule out the option of getting an Australian employer to sponsor for permanent residence through ENS or RSMS. The RSMS visa doesn't require work experience, and cities like Adelaide and Canberra are eligible.

Jeremy
Old Oct 9th 2005, 11:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Yes, that's a fair point, Jeremy.

Clair - to expand a little on Jeremy's point: for skilled migration your recent work experience doesn't have to be in the same occupation as the one in which you obtain a positive skills assessment classification ... but it must be on the Skilled Occupations List.

Best regards.

And to add further to Alan's point, this can be a tricky option, depending on the exact combination of nominated occupation, work experience, and one's skills/experience. However it should always be looked at in detail to see if it can work.

Jeremy
Old Oct 9th 2005, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Mark Webster is on a distinguished road

clairj,

If he has been in manangement, there are a number of possible skilled occupations which might be close enough to meet the essential recent work experience requirment.

For example:
- Head Chef/Executive Chef: this role mainly covers menu planning & staffing, with little actual cookery involved
- Hotel manager: generally covers situations where a restaurant might be managed along with accommodation facilities
- General manager: if he's gone into an unrelated field

Hard to really say without exact deails of his tasks & duties. Need to be careful because seemingly closely related occupations such as "restaurant & catering manager" are not on the SOL.

If claiming work experience in a different occupation to the nominated occupation, being requested for skills assessment in that occupation is possible, but unlikely if he clearly has a great deal of relevant work experience.

Hope this helps...