Meds help...High Blood Pressure

Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Dbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really nice
Unhappy Meds help...High Blood Pressure

Hi,

my OH went to his doctors today for a routine check-up, and i told him to get his doctor to do the basic health checks so we are in peace of mind that he would pass his meds when it's time for us to do them. the doc said my OH had a high blood pressure reading of 157 ! he was otherwise deemed healthy, no diabetes or anything and just slightly overweight (he deffo doesn't look it!)...would his high blood pressure still cause a problem in that he could fail his meds even though he has no other problems? has anyone been in the same situation where they had high blood pressure but still got their visas?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really nice
Default Re: Meds help...High Blood Pressure

Originally Posted by Dbhudia
Hi,

my OH went to his doctors today for a routine check-up, and i told him to get his doctor to do the basic health checks so we are in peace of mind that he would pass his meds when it's time for us to do them. the doc said my OH had a high blood pressure reading of 157 ! he was otherwise deemed healthy, no diabetes or anything and just slightly overweight (he deffo doesn't look it!)...would his high blood pressure still cause a problem in that he could fail his meds even though he has no other problems? has anyone been in the same situation where they had high blood pressure but still got their visas?
Hi, and first of all good luck. My OH failed his med on his blood pressure. It turned out that he has white coat hypertension. It only goes up when he visits the Drs. We bought a home monitor and tested it 3 times a day at home and it was fine. Our GP sent a letter stating wot it was and we were passed. Hope this may help hun.

Good luck and kind regards Lou xx
Old Nov 21st 2008, 10:44 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

tell your OH to eat bananas regularly. bananas have high potassium content which helps lower blood pressure.

obviously he has to monitor his diet and must exercise regularly, but in the meantime the bananas should help. however the best way to deal with it i think is go to your doctor and seek advice.

Last edited by commonwealth; Nov 21st 2008 at 10:58 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Dbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really nice

Originally Posted by commonwealth
tell your OH to eat bananas regularly. bananas have high potassium content which helps lower blood pressure.

obviously he has to monitor his diet and must exercise regularly, but in the meantime the bananas should help. however the best way to deal with it i think is go to your doctor and seek advice.
hi

thank you both for your message. I asked my OH if he got nervous when he went to visit the docs, maybe thats why his BP went haywire, but he claims docs don't make him nervous, unless he's nervous, but just doesnt realise it!
i think the doc managed to scare him a bit, so he's going onto a health regime, eating healthy, joining the gym etc so hopefully things will calm down by the time we are requested to do meds in 6-8 months time.
i'll definately tell him to start chomping on more banana's!

do you know if it's poss to fail meds due to high blood pressure that may not be white coat hypertension related?
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

hi

thank you both for your message. I asked my OH if he got nervous when he went to visit the docs, maybe thats why his BP went haywire, but he claims docs don't make him nervous, unless he's nervous, but just doesnt realise it!
i think the doc managed to scare him a bit, so he's going onto a health regime, eating healthy, joining the gym etc so hopefully things will calm down by the time we are requested to do meds in 6-8 months time.
i'll definately tell him to start chomping on more banana's!

do you know if it's poss to fail meds due to high blood pressure that may not be white coat hypertension related?
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 3:29 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

it is possible to fail meds if the australian health officer thinks the future medical costs will be a burden to the australian healthcare system. don't know how they determine that though.

yur OH may have to go through ECG and other tests.

general guide from http://www.iscah.com/diacmedical

Last edited by commonwealth; Nov 22nd 2008 at 3:37 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

The Randalls will become famous soon enough

If it's any encouragement,my hubby has been diagnosed with slightly high blood pressure and has been on medication for several years.. similarly with no diabetes,etc. However as it is controlled, there was no problem with our medicals..
Perhaps its worth getting it properly checked out with your own GP and getting the BP controlled?
Just a thought :-)
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Lanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud ofLanners has much to be proud of

Hi

I was a bit stressed when we went for our medicals and the more they took my bp the higher is was going. At the last reading it was 159/125!!!! It should have been below 140/90.

The panel doctor was very good and said that I would have to have a heart trace & some further blood work done before he would send off our meds. Apparently this is what HOC would have requested anyway so it speeds things up if it is all done first.

I had everything done at my doctors and everything was fine. My doctor also provided a letter saying that although my bp was on the high normal side he did not consider that it required treatment.

Because my bp was higher than the level required by HOC ie 140/90 my med was classed as a B, the rest of the family were classed as A's.

Everyone elses medicals were finalised by HOC on 05/11/08 and I was expecting quite a wait whilst my med was looked at by HOC doctors. However on 07/11/08 my med was also finalised and the 176 visa granted on the same day!

Therefore the moral of this rather long winded story is that you can get a visa is your bp is high during your medical.

Good luck to everyone going through this process there is light at the end of the tunnel and if you are going for your meds - DON'T STRESS

Sarah
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Actually, that makes me feel slightly better!!
i always suspected that my OH may have some problems because i always told him he was taking short shallow breaths even if he was just laying there watching TV! but it's had no impact on his health in any other way and has never needed medication for it. on the plus side, he's changed his diet, given up smoking (always a good thing as i have been trying to get him to quit for years!) and joined the gym in the hope that when we come to doing our meds in 6-9 months time, all will be normal!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

If his BP was high now, he should take the doctors advise and try and get it down and monitor it. The worst would be that he would need to take medication for it. [The risks of having hypertension and not doing anything about it are very serious - stroke, kidney damage etc].

You can fail the medical for high BP but it's something that can very easily be managed. A lot of men apparently have no idea they have high BP - I hadn't a clue until I went for an aviation medical and it was well over the limit.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
If his BP was high now, he should take the doctors advise and try and get it down and monitor it. The worst would be that he would need to take medication for it. [The risks of having hypertension and not doing anything about it are very serious - stroke, kidney damage etc].

You can fail the medical for high BP but it's something that can very easily be managed. A lot of men apparently have no idea they have high BP - I hadn't a clue until I went for an aviation medical and it was well over the limit.

I think my OH's doctor scared him to death when he mentioned he had high BP and the very next day, he joined the gym, gave up smoking and changed his diet. so he's definately working on it and we can only hope that by the time we do our actual meds, his BP wouldnt be quite so high.

Commonwealth, he started eating bananas everyday when i mentioned it can help with his BP

Sarah, your story actually gives me some hope and makes me think that all is not lost! i think my OH's brother had high blood pressure too because his wife mentioned that on his meds, he was put on the treadmill...but he passed his meds and was granted PR.

thank you all for your help and for putting my mind at ease. i'll just tell my OH to keep on working at getting his BP lowered!

Last edited by Dbhudia; Nov 25th 2008 at 12:45 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:39 pm
Daffyd Duck

I think my OH's doctor scared him to death when he mentioned he had high BP and the very next day, he joined the gym, gave up smoking and changed his diet. so he's definately working on it and we can only hope that by the time we do our actual meds, his BP wouldnt be quite so high.

Commonwealth, he started eating bananas everyday when i mentioned it can help with his BP

Sarah, your story actually gives me some hope and makes me think that all is not lost! i think my OH's brother had high blood pressure too because his wife mentioned that on his meds, he was put on the treadmill...but he passed his meds and was granted PR.

thank you all for your help and for putting my mind at ease. i'll just tell my OH to keep on working at getting his BP lowered!
banana can also help reduce weight, in japan there's this banana diet craze going on that there's now a shortage of bananas! search it on google and you will see!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

I am petrified my OH and I are going for a RSMS meds on Wednesday and both of us have slightly raised BP - I have already had an ECG at my Dr's and it was clear and they just wanted to monitor it but not put me on meds OH was slightly raised and no need to panic apparently! Just dreading that we have come so far that this may stop it - I know that it is not necessarily going to be case but I am worried - God that is not going to help my BP either is it?????
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Faircity
I am petrified my OH and I are going for a RSMS meds on Wednesday and both of us have slightly raised BP - I have already had an ECG at my Dr's and it was clear and they just wanted to monitor it but not put me on meds OH was slightly raised and no need to panic apparently! Just dreading that we have come so far that this may stop it - I know that it is not necessarily going to be case but I am worried - God that is not going to help my BP either is it?????

Faircity, I am petrified of the docs too, even going there to book an appointment is a cause for concern and raises my BP and don't even get me started on how i react when i visit relatives at hospitals!
that's the one thing i am not looking forward to. luckily my mum in law has a BP monitor at home, so i will be checking my BP to make sure its not off the chart on a normal day! just take a few deep breaths and just remember that this is one of the final hurdles and your nearly there! think of the end result and dont stress! Best of luck for the meds!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Faircity, I am petrified of the docs too, even going there to book an appointment is a cause for concern and raises my BP and don't even get me started on how i react when i visit relatives at hospitals!
that's the one thing i am not looking forward to. luckily my mum in law has a BP monitor at home, so i will be checking my BP to make sure its not off the chart on a normal day! just take a few deep breaths and just remember that this is one of the final hurdles and your nearly there! think of the end result and dont stress! Best of luck for the meds!

Thanks Dbhudia! I am trying not to stress but it is reading that others have failed on this basis has made me panic even more! Never mind we just need to go and see - we have put it on the forms and that I had an EGC so fingers crossed it might make the process easier - not too sure if the type of a visa makes a difference either I guess I can ask the question on that one - but your right I just need to take a deep breathe and think of the other side!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.