Medicals NZ - heart murmur!

Old Jul 16th 2003, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicals NZ - heart murmur!

During the medical the doc discovered a slight flow heart murmur! what a shock for me, mrs fit as a fiddle! What experiences have people had when applying with ailments such as these? do the immigration officials come back to you and say they want to know more about it? It's of course not at all life-threatening I'm told, and lots of people have them, but it will mean yet another hassle and expense in having to have it checked out properly. Just wondered if anyone else has been in this position!
Old Jul 18th 2003, 7:15 am
Vincent

Default Re: Medicals NZ - heart murmur!

hi Donna,
just did my medicals and had the same thing..what they call a soft
murmur..and yes..always been fit as a fiddle and never had any
heart/Chest problems. Would suggest what I did, get an Electro
Cardiogram (ECG) to rule out anything and send this with your
medicals, will save time cause immigration here at least will ask for
it if they are not satisfied. My ECG came back normal...relief! good
luck
Vincent

DonnaS wrote in message news:...
    > During the medical the doc discovered a slight flow heart murmur! what a
    > shock for me, mrs fit as a fiddle! What experiences have people had when
    > applying with ailments such as these? do the immigration officials come
    > back to you and say they want to know more about it? It's of course not
    > at all life-threatening I'm told, and lots of people have them, but it
    > will mean yet another hassle and expense in having to have it checked
    > out properly. Just wondered if anyone else has been in this position!

Old Jul 18th 2003, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Medicals NZ - heart murmur!

Thanks Vincent

I've lodged the application now, but will organize an ECG if they do come back to me - didn't really want to pay out £265 until I needed to!
Old Jul 18th 2003, 9:11 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

i cant believe you had such a detailed examination.We had ours in Aberdeen and it was laughable,5 minutes and the doc said "you look fine to me" - "if i had to do everything on this form i'd have to charge 500 pound so i only alocate 5 minutes".......it took five minutes to say no to all the questions he asked.
Guess we were sort of glanced at really,perhaps i must smell or something.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Kerikeri, Bay of Islands, NZ (was Broadstairs, Kent, UK)
Pippa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Donna,

Well it seems that there are lots of people with the same trouble.

Funny how you dont know it till the most important Doctors visit of your life?? Just when you didnt need the stress!!!

My husband and I went for our medicals, just like you sporty fit as a race horse. Then when the Doc told Nick he had a heart murmer you could have knocked us down with a feather.

We went through a moment of panic but he went for an ECG and a consultants appointment and an Ultrasound of the heart all came back just fine. It seems that these are not uncommon and you can go through your whole life not knowing youve got it.

The doctor told him that its quite common in a lot of young fit people and was discribed as an ordinary flow murmer and nothing sinister.

Our application went in with the results from the tests and a letter from the consultant confirming his results and all was fine. No second queries from NZIS and our application was processed in normal time.

Would say that NZIS will need to have confirmation of the condition by way of an Ultrasound (to check the flow etc) and ECG (for electrical pulses etc) and the consultants (cardiologist)letter to set everything straight.

I know that going private is expensive but if you wait for an NHS appointment it could be weeks just for an ECG alone and 6 months to get the whole thing sorted out. Remeber that your medicals only last 3 months and the clock starts on the day you saw the GP not from when you send the form to NZIS.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Pippa & Nick xxx
Old Jul 19th 2003, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Hi Pippa and Nick

thanks for your good advice - to be honest, I'm less worried about having the murmur, than the hassle and further expense of something else, but at the end of the day NZ will be worth every penny I'm sure!

thanks again
Donna
Old Jul 19th 2003, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

max kilby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicals NZ - heart murmur!

Donna -

A shock I know - I discovered a similar problem and had to spend a shocking £250 (or thereabouts) to be passed fit.

If it's any consolation my Dad was diagnosed with a heart murmur at the age of 21 and he's now 76.....

Good luck with your application.

MAX