Medicals - have them done in Oz?

Old Sep 16th 2008, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future
Default Medicals - have them done in Oz?

Hi,

We are off to oz in december for a month to do a reccie, and i was wondering if it would be worthwhile getting our medicals done whilst we are over there. It may save us money ( are medicals cheaper in oz?)and we could even hand deliver them to the DIAC!!

Or, if we had our meds done here in the uk in november, would it be possible for us to physically carry the medical forms etc with us in our luggage when we visit in December and post them/hand deliver them when we are in Oz? Do the Drs automatical keep everything to post on or do you get the choice of delivering/posting them off yourself?

thanks!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Medicals - have them done in Oz?

Well ive stumbled on part of the answer at http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497602 we wouldn't be allowed to take our meds over, as its the job of the panal drs to send them to lcu.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:27 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

You can have your meds done anywhere in the world - as long as it's a panel doctor - so yes you can do them while you're here!

The other major advantage is that HSA (Health Services Australia) do all their results electronically which basically means there's no chance of them going missing in the post.

Google HSA and book your appointment. The prices will be on the website too.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
You can have your meds done anywhere in the world - as long as it's a panel doctor - so yes you can do them while you're here!

The other major advantage is that HSA (Health Services Australia) do all their results electronically which basically means there's no chance of them going missing in the post.

The major disadvantage is the fact that the meds are only valid for one year from the date on which theynare done. When your visa is granted the validation date will almost certainly be based on the meds date, so you will have to enter Australia to validate your visa by next December, if you do them while you are here.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replys guys!!

tking - that does sound good about the electronic sending, one less thing to worry about! well be checking out the HSA website!

But yes i do understand the 12 month expiry Pollanna - so am still in two minds whther to do them end of this year or just wait till im asked to do them by my co. I applyed end of June so i thought 6 months after lodging would be about the right time to do the medicals.

Thanks again!!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ive checked out the HSA website - and am just wondering what is the best way to book the meds.

You can book it online, but its geared up for the input of Australian addresses. Shall I put in my Aunts address? She lives in sydney, but we would be planning on having the meds done when in Perth. Does this matter as long as its an oz address?

Or as we will be doing them whilst holidaying, is it best to stay up till the wee small hours and ring the Perth HSA office and explain all this, and book them over the phone?

One last thing - how much in advance is it best to book? a month, a week?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TandC23
Ive checked out the HSA website - and am just wondering what is the best way to book the meds.

You can book it online, but its geared up for the input of Australian addresses. Shall I put in my Aunts address? She lives in sydney, but we would be planning on having the meds done when in Perth. Does this matter as long as its an oz address?

Or as we will be doing them whilst holidaying, is it best to stay up till the wee small hours and ring the Perth HSA office and explain all this, and book them over the phone?

One last thing - how much in advance is it best to book? a month, a week?

I would book over the phone.

I think it would be best to book them using the same address as you have put on your visa application.

I would book as far in advance as you can!

HSA does all sorts of medicals - not just immigration medicals.
Although I do not work for HSA I do do some of their (non -immigration!) medicals (they have no offices in rural Australia so contract out to some GPs). Sometimes they are booked in 6 weeks or more in advance - so I would say the earlier the better if your time in Australia is restricted.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Originally Posted by tking

Mine was given to me in a sealed envelope from HSA. Also read another poster given his/her medical results from HSA in a sealed envelop to be submitted to immigration with the visa application. Heard from quite a few posters that HSA send the results electronically to immigration which is making me a bit confused. Add to that the response from HSA that my results are not accessable by immigration electronically.