Wikiposts

Medicals and Blood Pressure

Old Mar 7th 2006, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medicals and Blood Pressure

Help

I am desperately trying to loose weight before I take the medicals. One of the reasons is my blood pressure is high. My doctor says that it should go down as I loose weight ( I have already lost 1 stone 10lb). Would I be better going on medication to get my blood pressure down so that it is OK at the medicals. Does it go against you if you are on medication for blood pressure.

Any help appreciated.

Sunshine23
Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:18 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicals and Blood Pressure

Originally Posted by sunshine23
Help

I am desperately trying to loose weight before I take the medicals. One of the reasons is my blood pressure is high. My doctor says that it should go down as I loose weight ( I have already lost 1 stone 10lb). Would I be better going on medication to get my blood pressure down so that it is OK at the medicals. Does it go against you if you are on medication for blood pressure.

Any help appreciated.

Sunshine23
Hi sunshine, i would think that your dr would only put you on BP tablets as a last resort. You are doing really well with losing weight, I am sure you will be ok.

Do you know exactly how high your BP is?

Try not to stress about things cos that will definately make your BP higher!

Love jackie x
Old Mar 7th 2006, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

Help

Any help appreciated.

Sunshine23
Sunshine

I agree your doing extremely well losing the weight.
Has your GP done any tests about why it is high.
If your BP remains above 140/90 (they will do it several times if need be) you will fail the medical.
They will also ask for a cardiologists report if it is up too.
It maybe a good idea if you discuss your concerns with your GP who may reconsider putting you on medication.

I have essential hypertension that runs in my family and I take meds to keep it down. PM me if you want to discuss anything.

Ali
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alison1967
Sunshine

I agree your doing extremely well losing the weight.
Has your GP done any tests about why it is high.
If your BP remains above 140/90 (they will do it several times if need be) you will fail the medical.
They will also ask for a cardiologists report if it is up too.
It maybe a good idea if you discuss your concerns with your GP who may reconsider putting you on medication.

I have essential hypertension that runs in my family and I take meds to keep it down. PM me if you want to discuss anything.

Ali

Thanks for the help. Doctor has said she will see me again in a month to see if it is going down. Hopefully I will be able to get a bit more weight off me by then. She is convinced that it is to do with the weight.

I don't think all this immigration helps I seem to be in a panic about something most of the time.

Sunshine23
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the help. Doctor has said she will see me again in a month to see if it is going down. Hopefully I will be able to get a bit more weight off me by then. She is convinced that it is to do with the weight.

I don't think all this immigration helps I seem to be in a panic about something most of the time.

Sunshine23
You are doing brilliantly. It is far better to bring your BP down by lifestyle changes including losing weight rather than treating it with medication (although this might be inevitable if the lifestyle changes don't produce sufficient reduction.)

So keep going!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:20 am
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

Congratulations on losing so much weight. I know how hard it is. I don't know anything about blood pressure but I do know that losing just 10% of your body weight has huge health benefits. Keep at it, It's hard i know but well worth it not just in the health benefits but also for your self esteme.

I've lost 5 stone and it's taken over 2 years but the diference is unbelievable and yes i did struggle and still do probably more so as it gets harder the closer you get to your goal weight!.

Anyway just wanted to congratulate you and give you some support. Have some karma