Wikiposts

Medicals

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:21 am
Just Joined

forbess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicals

Hi

I am new to this forum, I hope that someone can help. I am due to have my medical in a couple of weeks and I am very worried about having the HIV test as I am terrified on needles - I am wondering if the test is like taking/giving blood or if it is more of a "pin prick" just to get some blood and test it that way?

I am hoping for the latter!! If anyone can give me their experience that would be great.

Many thanks

Sharon
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:25 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medicals

Originally Posted by forbess
Hi

I am new to this forum, I hope that someone can help. I am due to have my medical in a couple of weeks and I am very worried about having the HIV test as I am terrified on needles - I am wondering if the test is like taking/giving blood or if it is more of a "pin prick" just to get some blood and test it that way?

I am hoping for the latter!! If anyone can give me their experience that would be great.

Many thanks

Sharon
Blood tests usually come from the upper-side of your elbow on the forearm, Not much pain involved. But it is a needle that goes in which is about a inch long then two or three test tubes are drawn out. No worries

A little like this

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Sep 23rd 2009 at 7:34 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Ms_Fi will become famous soon enough

I had my bloods taken while I had still had the blood pressure cuff on - was so distracted by how tight the cuff was that I didn't notice the needle going in.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:58 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not good with having blood taken either, but I just look the other way and concentrate on something else. If I think about what is going on then I'm liable to faint. Actually, the blood test for the immigration medical was the best one I've ever had - hardly felt a thing and absolutely no bruising!