Medical: HSA Brisbane

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 11:47 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medical: HSA Brisbane

Hi all;

This is just a reference post for anyone in the future who may require medicals at Health Services Australia (HSA) in Brisbane and is a bit nervous about it!

I am applying onshore for a Permanent Residency visa so needed a chest X-ray, blood and urine test and a full medical.

1. Booked appointment online at HSA (http://www.healthoz.com.au/). Chose my preferred date and time for the full medical part of the appointment online and paid online (cost $296.00 in March 2007). After you have paid, you print off the receipt and booking details.

2. Rang HSA to arrange a date and time for my Blood and Urine Tests and Chest X-ray - which needed to be done 1 week prior to the full medical so the Doctor can have the results in front of him.

3. So one week before medical, I brought both forms 26 and 160 (fully completed but not signed), passport and receipt to HSA (Adelaide Street, Brisbane CBD) for my blood/urine appointment (you also need any glasses/contacts you need). I would recommend arriving early for your appointment as reception can be busy and the photo took a while to organise. They take a digital photo of you and then the nurse takes you through for blood draw. They also did my height, weight and eye test. I then had to give my urine sample.

4. I was then directed to Brisbane Private Hospital (20 minute walk from HSA) for my chest X-ray. They require to see your passport, form 160, and you need to bring one passport photo. X-ray was quickly taken and they arrange for the X-ray to be delivered to HSA prior to your medical.

5. One week later - arrived at HSA for medical. Showed passport only, as they had already collected my form 26. Went through for medical. (I also had to do a repeat urine test as they had found small traces of blood the previous week - but most people won't have to do this!). Medical consisted of;

-Going through previous medical issues/injuries etc as I had listed on form 26.
-touching toes
-back and neck twisting side to side (???)
-pulling against the Doctors hands
-raising my arms in front, to the side and over my head (??)
-lying on the examination bed, having stomach and lower abdomen prodded for about 5 seconds (still fully clothed, just pulled up t-shirt)
-had heart and lungs listened to with stethoscope while breathing in-and-out.

And that was it! - I was not even asked about breast check or pap smear (I'm a female under 30 so maybe he wasn't too concerned???). I did not have to strip off at all (even though I'd worn my best undies!!). It was quick and entirely painless.

Hopefully this post may reassure someone in the future! I was a bit nervous but it was fine.

Good luck to all!!

PS. In case anyone else has the same problem and does a search (like I did!) I'll just relate my 'blood in urine' experience.

I still had microscopic blood in my urine the second time (which they test with a dipstick test at HSA) so I was referred to my own GP who said it's really common as the dipstick test is a bit unreliable (so I can't work out why HSA use it!) and she has people referred to her from HSA all the time! So I did another blood draw and urine test and they were sent off for more tests. I will update this post when I get the results on Thursday.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:23 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical: HSA Brisbane

Just to update the above (I cannot for the life of me find the edit button where it's supposed to be!!);

Got the results from the urine/blood tests today. There is no blood in my urine (not even a trace!). The Doctor reiterated that the dipstick test that HSA use to test for trace blood is unreliable. Personally, I can't understand why HSA (and I'm sure many other panel doctors around the world) continue to use an unreliable test, it simply increases the stress and anxiety on people who are already stressed an anxious about the visa process.

I'd rather pay extra to get the urine tested properly first time around to eliminate the stress of a false reading.

Hopefully this will reassure anyone in the future who gets a positive result at their medical and does a search on this forum. A further urine and blood test will most likely show nothing and I imagine it's only a very small number of people who will require further tests with a nephrologist if they genuinely do have blood in their urine.

Last edited by goldchoccycoin; Apr 4th 2007 at 11:24 pm. Reason: added sentence
Old Apr 5th 2007, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

melpieters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I've just gone through the same thing at the Sydney HSA. It's a bit simpler as they do everything in one go at one place, so in theory you only have to go once.

I went last week, and failed the urine test with blood traces too. I'll go along next week to have it tested again - but your post has put my mind at ease a bit! If they end up referring me to my GP I'll probably be fine (I hope). Luckily the HSA is not far from where I work.

I found the staff friendly if a bit tired (it was last thing on a Friday and they'd obviously had enough!).
Old Apr 11th 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Hi

Aren't they supposed to send the results directly to LCU Sydney?

How is this does and How long does it take (From Test to delivery of medicals to Sydney) - Is there a way to track the reports though DHL - UPS etc..
It seems HSA is reputed to have on the most stringent health screening policy...My children will be undergoing her meds next wk in Perth and i hope this won't take long.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 2:58 am
Addicted to browsing BE

Originally Posted by olauf
Hi

Aren't they supposed to send the results directly to LCU Sydney?

How is this does and How long does it take (From Test to delivery of medicals to Sydney) - Is there a way to track the reports though DHL - UPS etc..
It seems HSA is reputed to have on the most stringent health screening policy...My children will be undergoing her meds next wk in Perth and i hope this won't take long.
Hi

Yes they do send the results to LCU in Sydney but they let you know if they require any follow up tests that need to be completed before the medical can be finalised (so they told me to repeat my urine test).

I was told the medical results are sent electronially from HSA in Brisbane to LCU in Sydney, so I imagine it's almost instantaneous. Otherwise, if it's by post, I guess it'd be 3-5 working days. I was not given any tracking number or anthing like that.

Hope it goes smoothly for your children.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tking
Hi

Yes they do send the results to LCU in Sydney but they let you know if they require any follow up tests that need to be completed before the medical can be finalised (so they told me to repeat my urine test).

I was told the medical results are sent electronially from HSA in Brisbane to LCU in Sydney, so I imagine it's almost instantaneous. Otherwise, if it's by post, I guess it'd be 3-5 working days. I was not given any tracking number or anthing like that.

Hope it goes smoothly for your children.

Hi King
Except the urine test which seems to be unreliable, i think i need not worry about the other as i know children is in on good health.
I reckon HSA being a ''trustworthy'' body for diac, LCU staff does'nt really have to scrutinize the details once they get them. (wishful thinking) - Hope then ASPC will not take long to finalise thereafter.
Thanks again