British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Medical health help needed! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/medical-health-help-needed-605059/)

edman Apr 23rd 2009 9:50 am

Medical health help needed!

I have my application in for a spouse visa and have just noticed that the medical documents mention hypertension (blood pressure) as a possible reason for failing the medical.

Can anyone please let me know if they had any issue with this? It seems like an odd thing to fail on since so many people do have it.

I am a bit concerned that it may be hinder my app....please help.

Thank you

Edman

mala Apr 23rd 2009 9:58 am

Re: Medical health help needed!

Originally Posted by edman (Post 7506496)
I have my application in for a spouse visa and have just noticed that the medical documents mention hypertension (blood pressure) as a possible reason for failing the medical.

Can anyone please let me know if they had any issue with this? It seems like an odd thing to fail on since so many people do have it.

Thank you

Edman

oh.. i am the main applicant and i have spouse and 2 dependents .... i have hypertention too and so does one other dependant.. where did you see this? i am curious to know?

wijay Apr 23rd 2009 10:04 am

Hi all

I just had my medical last week. I got a high blood pressure as well, and I am on medication for that. I think it depends on how high the hypertension is. The reading was 135/89. My doctor asked me to provide a blood test to check the cholesterol as well. For the medical, I was given B, meaning that there is a concern over the medical. But he said that many other people had the same problem, but passed the medical.

I think if you are having hypertension, overweight, and high cholesterol level, it might be a problem. Hypertension itself won't fail you.

Regards
Wijay

edman Apr 23rd 2009 10:06 am

Hi Mala
its on form 1071i health req for perm entry to Aus. You can get it off the web site.

It specificaly mentions "diabetes, heart disease (inc hypertension) and arthiritis. Such conditions may mena you are assessed as not meeting the health requirement"

A bit of a worry

edman

edman Apr 23rd 2009 10:08 am

Originally Posted by wijay (Post 7506523)
Hi all

I just had my medical last week. I got a high blood pressure as well, and I am on medication for that. I think it depends on how high the hypertension is. The reading was 135/89. My doctor asked me to provide a blood test to check the cholesterol as well. For the medical, I was given B, meaning that there is a concern over the medical. But he said that many other people had the same problem, but passed the medical.

I think if you are having hypertension, overweight, and high cholesterol level, it might be a problem. Hypertension itself won't fail you.

Regards
Wijay

Wijay

thanks for that....

edman Apr 23rd 2009 10:55 am

Anyone else have experience of this?:confused::confused:

Davy Apr 23rd 2009 11:22 am

Hi I took my medical last September. I had high blood pressure at the time. When I went for my medical I was on a lot of painkillers as I had an operation 2 weeks previous. [major hernia]. I am quite fit though and train 5 out 7 days. All my other medical info was fine. The doctor said it was because of my medication that my blood pressure had increased. He also said if it hadn't been for my medication he would have been obliged to refer me to a cardiologist for follow up.
When my medicals were submitted my status went to referred for about a month and the Met. I think if there's anything to query on your med they send it to a medical examiner for further investigation. Luckily in my case they found it normal in the circumstances.
Hopefully this helps.:thumbsup:Davy:thumbsup:

mala Apr 24th 2009 3:42 am

thanks everyone.. i am a bit over weight...though.. i think i need to get my butt straight to the gym...

Pollyana Apr 24th 2009 6:22 am

Originally Posted by edman (Post 7506496)

Thank you

Edman

If you are going for a spouse visa then you might like to know that they often take an easier line with medicals for those as they like to keep families together. So some serious cases which would not pass a skills visa may get a waiver for a spouse visa.
Having said that, I would also think that going by forum posts over the years it would probably have to be fairly serious hypertension, probably combined with other things in order to prevent you getting a visa - but it will probably be referred to the medical panel for review, so be prepared for a few extra weeks before the visa is granted.

mala Apr 24th 2009 8:53 am

thanks pollyana... i am the main applicant on 175.

edman Apr 24th 2009 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 7509522)
If you are going for a spouse visa then you might like to know that they often take an easier line with medicals for those as they like to keep families together. So some serious cases which would not pass a skills visa may get a waiver for a spouse visa.
Having said that, I would also think that going by forum posts over the years it would probably have to be fairly serious hypertension, probably combined with other things in order to prevent you getting a visa - but it will probably be referred to the medical panel for review, so be prepared for a few extra weeks before the visa is granted.

:thumbup:
Thanks Pollyana, I am indeed applying for a spouse visa and yes my hypertension is high but controlled (family thing thanks to those who went before me) I am in no rush for my visa anyway so if it takes longer I dont mind but thank you for helping put me at ease. So long as it isnt a deal breaker I am content. Appreciate your message :cool:

whitedog Apr 24th 2009 10:14 am

Hi everyone!

When I took medical exam, the panel doctor say nothing about exam results. Is this mean I have no related health problem ?

Davy Apr 24th 2009 11:58 am

Hi. Hopefully your medical will have went fine however because the doctor didn't say anything doesn't mean you have passed. The doctors are only obliged to tell you if there is something life threatening.Immigration say the doctor isn't suppose to tell you. However sometimes at the time of your medical he will hint at it. Davy:thumbup:

whitedog Apr 24th 2009 1:52 pm

Hi. Hopefully your medical will have went fine however because the doctor didn't say anything doesn't mean you have passed. The doctors are only obliged to tell you if there is something life threatening.Immigration say the doctor isn't suppose to tell you. However sometimes at the time of your medical he will hint at it. Davy

Yeah, after examination, my doctor did not asked me making any further check, do you think that is OK?

edman Apr 25th 2009 9:51 am

Anyone else have experience with this? :cool: