Medical Check - Working in Classrooms

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:52 am
Just Joined

vidon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Check - Working in Classrooms

Hello everyone - we will be marrying soon in Australia, and then applying for my partner to migrate as a spouse. I spent close to five months last year living with my partner in London; he's been in Australia for seven months now on a working holiday visa. We're trying to put together all the bits and pieces for our application, so that we can file once we have married.

One question on the visa medical form has me stumped. It asks whether the applicant plans to teach or attend class. My partner is currently working casually as a tutor at a university: is this the sort of class they mean? Or is this question directed toward people who plan to teach children, rather than in the higher ed sector?

Also: what difference does the answer to this question make? Is the health check more onerous if you plan to teach?

All advice appreciated - many thanks...
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 3:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Check - Working in Classrooms

Originally Posted by vidon
Hello everyone - we will be marrying soon in Australia, and then applying for my partner to migrate as a spouse. I spent close to five months last year living with my partner in London; he's been in Australia for seven months now on a working holiday visa. We're trying to put together all the bits and pieces for our application, so that we can file once we have married.

One question on the visa medical form has me stumped. It asks whether the applicant plans to teach or attend class. My partner is currently working casually as a tutor at a university: is this the sort of class they mean? Or is this question directed toward people who plan to teach children, rather than in the higher ed sector?

Also: what difference does the answer to this question make? Is the health check more onerous if you plan to teach?

All advice appreciated - many thanks...
Doesn't really matter on a Spouse Visa as you have a full medical anyway. However if they found anything that required monitoring of the applcians health after arrival then working with children might not be an option. Does your fiance plan to continue working in a university? If so I'd wirte that on to be on the safe side, but it won't affect the medical.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 3:33 am
Just Joined

vidon is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for this.

My partner hasn't ever worked with children, and doesn't plan to, but has been teaching undergraduate students casually in an Australian university on his working holiday visa. He may or may not continue doing this, but it's certainly a possibility. Writing a note on the side is a good idea.

I had been puzzled by the question, as it didn't seem like it would add anything to the medical exam, regardless of what the answer was - but I guess the same form is used for different purposes, and sometimes it might matter?

Thanks again...
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:21 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vidon
Many thanks for this.

My partner hasn't ever worked with children, and doesn't plan to, but has been teaching undergraduate students casually in an Australian university on his working holiday visa. He may or may not continue doing this, but it's certainly a possibility. Writing a note on the side is a good idea.

I had been puzzled by the question, as it didn't seem like it would add anything to the medical exam, regardless of what the answer was - but I guess the same form is used for different purposes, and sometimes it might matter?

Thanks again...
Its because the form gets used for different visas, I think - for a 457 visa (for instance) because its temporary, they only usually ask for an Xray, but if someone is going to be working with children then they ask for a medical as well, to cover things in more detail.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice
Question Re: Medical Check - Working in Classrooms

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its because the form gets used for different visas, I think - for a 457 visa (for instance) because its temporary, they only usually ask for an Xray, but if someone is going to be working with children then they ask for a medical as well, to cover things in more detail.
so if my husband is applying for 457 as a civil engineer, he needs an xray. I am a teacher and although I dont plan to work for a while, do I need to get my medical here or can I get one out there when its time to think about work. Also do my 2 and 5 year old ned full medicals??

Thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 9:40 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by heldownunder
so if my husband is applying for 457 as a civil engineer, he needs an xray. I am a teacher and although I dont plan to work for a while, do I need to get my medical here or can I get one out there when its time to think about work. Also do my 2 and 5 year old ned full medicals??

Thanks
If you're a teacher and you plan to work once you are here, yes they will probably ask you for a medical. Don't know about the children - best to ask an agent or someone else on a 457 with kids, sorry.