Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Meaning of "usually resident" in spousal PR sponsorship

Wikiposts

Meaning of "usually resident" in spousal PR sponsorship

Old Dec 7th 2004, 8:44 am
Just Joined

andersandersen is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Meaning of "usually resident" in spousal PR sponsorship

I hold a Resident Return Visa, granted in July 2000 and expires in July 2005. During that period I lived in Australia from July until November 2000. We were planning to move back in June 2005 and, in preparation, soon would be applying for her Permanent Resident visa with my sponsorship.

In booklet 1 it states that the sponsoring spouse must be “usually resident in Australia� in order to apply for a visa.

What does “usually resident in Australia� mean in this instance? All of a sudden I am quite worried that our plan won't hold...

I appreciate any input that readers might have to offer.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meaning of "usually resident" in spousal PR sponsorship

Originally Posted by andersandersen
I hold a Resident Return Visa, granted in July 2000 and expires in July 2005. During that period I lived in Australia from July until November 2000. We were planning to move back in June 2005 and, in preparation, soon would be applying for her Permanent Resident visa with my sponsorship.

In booklet 1 it states that the sponsoring spouse must be “usually resident in Australia� in order to apply for a visa.

What does “usually resident in Australia� mean in this instance? All of a sudden I am quite worried that our plan won't hold...
'Usually resident' means where is the centre of your life. It is not inconsistent with a temporary absence from Australia, but really does depend on the circumstances surrounding the absence and ties held with Australia. How hard it will be for you will depend on how strictly the DIMIA office you deal with interprets this criteria.

You should get professional advice.

Jeremy