Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Masters In Social Work - Enter on a Subclass 573 & change to 176

Masters In Social Work - Enter on a Subclass 573 & change to 176

Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

surhythms is a jewel in the roughsurhythms is a jewel in the roughsurhythms is a jewel in the roughsurhythms is a jewel in the rough
Default Masters In Social Work - Enter on a Subclass 573 & change to 176

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the following or has done the same thing. I know Im doing alot of thinking here but Im trying to think of the best options to get us to Oz. Basically at the moment we have applied for SS with the ACT - when it is successful we will lodge our 176 before July 1st. At the moment we are using the OH occupation 2231-11 Systems Manager to apply for our 176.

As we don’t know the new SOL or the SMP for the ACT we could be in for a 2/3 yr wait which will bring us up to possibly June 2012/2013 and its highly unlikely that the occupation will be on the new SOL and at the moment 2231-11 has been changed to the offlist and is not in demand anymore.
At the moment I am continuing my degree which will be completed by July 2011 - but I will have actually have it in before then - just the results dont come out until July 2011.
Ive done alot of research into the area that I am currently working in and unless I am a qualified Social Worker/Psychologist my opportunity for work will be limited so I have actually decided to do a Masters in Social Work when I arrive in Australia. Ive already checked to ensure that I can meet the requirements for this course and I definitely do. At the end of 2 years study I will be a qualified Social Worker and will be able to become a member of the AASW. It makes practical sense for me to do this for my long term career prospects. The sample SOL also has Social Worker on their list so I would imagine at this stage it will be on the new SOL- HOPEFULLY. Social worker however is on the Quota list for the ACT at the moment and is limited but of course all of this could change.
I have been in touch with the Australian Catholic University in Canberra and I know that I will have to wait until August 2011 to apply. The masters starts in February 2012. Because we aren’t sure at this stage if our 176 will be granted or not and I know that it is a risk to take ........ but we were thinking in the interim we could apply for a subclass 573 – higher education visa for Australia (Masters by Coursework). This would allow me to work 20 hrs per week and my OH could go on this visa as my defacto and it states that if you are doing a masters that your dependants can work an unlimited amount of hours. Obviously we know we would have to pay international fees for both myself and my daughter plus Health Insurance.
So I was wondering could we go on a subclass 573 with me as main applicant, then when we arrive in Canberra we change our 176 to an onshore 886 as my OH is the main applicant on the 176. Does anyone know how this works or if it is even possible?
Any advice, opinions or comments would be grately appreciated.

Thanks

Suzanne
Old Apr 9th 2010, 12:44 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masters In Social Work - Enter on a Subclass 573 & change to 176

I'm a bit confused but I'll try and help if I can!

So, you are thinking of applying for a 176 SS by ACT in July this year. You are not sure how long this will take to process - or even if your husbands occupation will stay on the list.

If his job stays on the list - it will be quicker than 2/3 years - as he is 'in demand'

If it doesn't stay on the list then ACT will not offer sponsorship - so unless you are eligible for an independent 175 visa it may not be granted at all.

Your other option - student visa 573 - is of course possible. And after you finish the Masters you may be eligible to submit a NEW application for a 885 or 886 application for YOU - not your husband. In this instance you would withdraw the 176 application if it was still in the system - you can't 'swap'.

The 886 or 885 would have you as the main applicant as you are the one studying the Masters - and you would not be eligible to apply until you have completed 2 years of full-time study.

This is based on the current system/rules - these may of course change at any time and with little notice.

Good luck.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:08 am
Just Joined

surhythms is a jewel in the roughsurhythms is a jewel in the roughsurhythms is a jewel in the roughsurhythms is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tking
I'm a bit confused but I'll try and help if I can!

So, you are thinking of applying for a 176 SS by ACT in July this year. You are not sure how long this will take to process - or even if your husbands occupation will stay on the list.

If his job stays on the list - it will be quicker than 2/3 years - as he is 'in demand'

If it doesn't stay on the list then ACT will not offer sponsorship - so unless you are eligible for an independent 175 visa it may not be granted at all.

Your other option - student visa 573 - is of course possible. And after you finish the Masters you may be eligible to submit a NEW application for a 885 or 886 application for YOU - not your husband. In this instance you would withdraw the 176 application if it was still in the system - you can't 'swap'.

The 886 or 885 would have you as the main applicant as you are the one studying the Masters - and you would not be eligible to apply until you have completed 2 years of full-time study.

This is based on the current system/rules - these may of course change at any time and with little notice.

Good luck.
Hi tking

Yeah you mostly have it right. We are applying for our 176 before July - now the ACT will honour the sponsorship but we may be waiting 2/3 years because with the new SOL we may not be priority. So I was thinking that if we dont get our 176 by August 2011 (when I will be applying for my masters in Canberra) we could go on a 573 (me as main applicant) and then when our 176 comes through we could leave Australia on a short trip and re-enter to gain PR. Or can we do this?

Cheers

Suzanne
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Suzanne - yes that sounds like the right plan.

Good luck.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Hi Suzanne - yes that sounds like the right plan.

Good luck.
FANTASTIC!!!!

Thanks so much for the reply!! - So it looks like we are going no matter what route we decide to take

Im very happy that Social Worker will be on the new SOL - nearly sure it will anyway!