British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Marriage Certificate Issue. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/marriage-certificate-issue-621751/)

rjumar Jul 23rd 2009 11:13 am

Marriage Certificate Issue.

Dear All,

I hv come to a problem ... My marriage certificate has different age of mine and my spouse as compared to our Identity Card.

I want to ask ... "DIAC considers marriage certificate as a proof of Marriage or the age written in the certificate should also be accurate"???

If I submit this marriage certificate with age errors, will it be right or wrong???

I am pretty worried as I am trying to solve this matter from last 2 months and wasting my time a lot on this issue.

Please guide me.

RJUmar

ZeeAsh Jul 23rd 2009 11:39 am

Re: Marriage Certificate Issue.

Originally Posted by rjumar (Post 7776957)
Dear All,

I hv come to a problem ... My marriage certificate has different age of mine and my spouse as compared to our Identity Card.

I want to ask ... "DIAC considers marriage certificate as a proof of Marriage or the age written in the certificate should also be accurate"???

If I submit this marriage certificate with age errors, will it be right or wrong???

I am pretty worried as I am trying to solve this matter from last 2 months and wasting my time a lot on this issue.

Please guide me.

RJUmar

I guess you can make the correction in marriage certificate and I think its legal anywhere in the world to make correction in any document on the basis of proof.

And you ur ID cards as a proof and I am sure ur passports have also the same age as of IDs.

Shellyj Jul 23rd 2009 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by ZeeAsh (Post 7777048)
I guess you can make the correction in marriage certificate and I think its legal anywhere in the world to make correction in any document on the basis of proof.

And you ur ID cards as a proof and I am sure ur passports have also the same age as of IDs.

That is not true. In the UK at least your marrige certifcate is a legal document and can not be changed unless by a registered offical, a registrar. That would usually be at the time or close to it, of the error being made.

I wouldnt suggest changing it as Australia looks upon marige certificates as offical legal documents also. If it's a genuine error and you can not get it changed by an offical there, a registrar or similar that you have in yor country, then send both with an explanation of the error.

chizwiz Jul 23rd 2009 2:59 pm

Suggest you have it corrected by your local civil registrar (or similar agency) ASAP. Our marriage certificate had a discrepancy on my date of birth. When we lodged our application, we included an affidavit of discrepancy but the CO wanted a corrected copy and not just the affidavit.

rjumar Jul 24th 2009 10:48 am

Originally Posted by rjumar (Post 7776957)
Dear All,

Please guide me.

RJUmar

Any other idea or suggestion will also be highly appreciated.

Shellyj Jul 25th 2009 6:33 am

Originally Posted by chizwiz (Post 7777615)
Suggest you have it corrected by your local civil registrar (or similar agency) ASAP. Our marriage certificate had a discrepancy on my date of birth. When we lodged our application, we included an affidavit of discrepancy but the CO wanted a corrected copy and not just the affidavit.

Originally Posted by rjumar (Post 7780291)
Any other idea or suggestion will also be highly appreciated.

I doubt there are any other suggestions. The above poster has explained they were in a similar situation as you and their CO wanted a corrected copy of the document with the error.

When you were married which agency/person filled in and gave you the marrige certificate? You need to go back there with your birth certificate and/or ID Card or passport and ask an offical there to correct it.