Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Manchester expo stopping of 5 year to entER

Manchester expo stopping of 5 year to entER

Old Mar 21st 2010, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

Kayelem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Manchester expo stopping of 5 year to entER

Hi. My apologies if this has already been covered, but I went to the Expo in Manchester where we listened to a seminar on getting a job in Oz. We already have our visa but found it interesting to listen to the changes that are going to happen already discussed by George Lombard. However they did raise another issue that I thought may be of interested to some.

How the system works now where you can validate within 12 months and then have up to 5 years to move over there is going to be scrapped and it will be more like move within 12 months. I hadn't considered this before but it does make sense, if a person gets a visa because their job is on the CSL but then decided not to go to OZ until 5 years later, this is not benefitting the Austrailian economy who need the skill now not in 5 years. Also some migrants are going over and unable to get a job because their skill for which they got their visa a few years back is no longer in demand. This has resulted in peoples dreams of a new life in OZ being shattered because they can't get work once there.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Dills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant future
Default Re: Manchester expo stopping of 5 year to entER

Hmm interesting, however if they did scap the five year rule after validating, I doubt I would bother applying for a visa, 12months is a very short time to sort your life out, ie sell house etc.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kayelem
Hi. My apologies if this has already been covered, but I went to the Expo in Manchester where we listened to a seminar on getting a job in Oz. We already have our visa but found it interesting to listen to the changes that are going to happen already discussed by George Lombard. However they did raise another issue that I thought may be of interested to some.

How the system works now where you can validate within 12 months and then have up to 5 years to move over there is going to be scrapped and it will be more like move within 12 months. I hadn't considered this before but it does make sense, if a person gets a visa because their job is on the CSL but then decided not to go to OZ until 5 years later, this is not benefitting the Austrailian economy who need the skill now not in 5 years. Also some migrants are going over and unable to get a job because their skill for which they got their visa a few years back is no longer in demand. This has resulted in peoples dreams of a new life in OZ being shattered because they can't get work once there.
Before a lot of people panic, do you - or anyone else - have a link to this information?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

wookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nice

Yeah, i heard that as well, I was there. I found it to be very small. very limited information. Did you see the job posting boards next to the cafe in the corner?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 6:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Probably nothing more than rumour at this stage but it's absolutely consistent with what's happened so far. And makes a lot of sense.

In the past, it was like this and migrants were expected to move to Australia immediately. Then it went to 3 years, then 5 years ... now it seems that the majority like to wait ages before moving (and some never move). This is not what Australia wants and with limited places in the migration program, it makes sense to give priority to those really committed to moving.

If this dissuades some people from applying, the Minister is probably quite happy with that.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

wookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Probably nothing more than rumour at this stage but it's absolutely consistent with what's happened so far. And makes a lot of sense.

In the past, it was like this and migrants were expected to move to Australia immediately. Then it went to 3 years, then 5 years ... now it seems that the majority like to wait ages before moving (and some never move). This is not what Australia wants and with limited places in the migration program, it makes sense to give priority to those really committed to moving.

If this dissuades some people from applying, the Minister is probably quite happy with that.
I believe this information was mentioned by the DIAC guy which was there. But i spoke to a member of the DIAC team which wasat goverment stand, he did mentioned possible implementation date about the slimmed down SOL.(Its just hear say as its not offical)
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dills
Hmm interesting, however if they did scap the five year rule after validating, I doubt I would bother applying for a visa, 12months is a very short time to sort your life out, ie sell house etc.
Rubbish! We had the offer of a job in the September and were in Melbourne on 2nd Jan. It doesn't take that long to organise if it's what you want to do.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Before a lot of people panic, do you - or anyone else - have a link to this information?
It was a scheduled seminar that alot of people were listening to as well as us. The people who said it were agents I think because you could pay £99 to have a one to one with them to assess your eligibility to get a visa after their presentation. They were very frank about the visa application situation and changes to come. I felt very sorry for those people who were there who may have just been at the very start of the process. They must have left feeling very deflated. DIAC people were there also listening so I don't think the lady doing the presentation would have been allowed to come out with a rumour.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wookiee06
Yeah, i heard that as well, I was there. I found it to be very small. very limited information. Did you see the job posting boards next to the cafe in the corner?
Yes the jobs postings I saw were all health related and not many of them. My OH specifically went for IT oppurtunities and there wasn't one stand on IT. We are going in June and this has made us worry a little.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes the jobs postings I saw were all health related and not many of them. My OH specifically went for IT oppurtunities and there wasn't one stand on IT. We are going in June and this has made us worry a little.
whats the one in june?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wookiee06
whats the one in june?
What I mean is we go in June and OH doesn't have a job yet so we were a bit concerned as to if he is going to struggle to get one, as there was no one at the EXPO to promote IT, but there was for health and engineering.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

What I mean is we go in June and OH doesn't have a job yet so we were a bit concerned as to if he is going to struggle to get one, as there was no one at the EXPO to promote IT, but there was for health and engineering.
ive given you a name of a person of an it agent in private, which i spoke to at wa expo

Last edited by wookiee06; Mar 21st 2010 at 8:03 pm. Reason: jjkklkl
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Dills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pootle
Rubbish! We had the offer of a job in the September and were in Melbourne on 2nd Jan. It doesn't take that long to organise if it's what you want to do.
Your life and circumstances are different to mine, where do you get off saying I am talking rubbish! I would not be able to just up root my life and move within 12months, so I stated if this did come in then I wouldnt apply. I want to live in Australia, however I am a parent with four children, their education, housing and emotional wellbeing is far morre important to than living in Australia, so I would need longer to organise things. I don't know why the hell I am justifying myself to you, these are my reasons and I am entitled to them, please refrain from calling my reasons rubbish as you dont even know me, however I am pleased that things worked out for you, I am kind like that
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dills
Your life and circumstances are different to mine, where do you get off saying I am talking rubbish! I would not be able to just up root my life and move within 12months, so I stated if this did come in then I wouldnt apply. I want to live in Australia, however I am a parent with four children, their education, housing and emotional wellbeing is far morre important to than living in Australia, so I would need longer to organise things. I don't know why the hell I am justifying myself to you, these are my reasons and I am entitled to them, please refrain from calling my reasons rubbish as you dont even know me, however I am pleased that things worked out for you, I am kind like that
You're right - I apologise. I realise everyones circumstances are different and that some peoples lives may take more organising before the move. Yes we were lucky and things were straightforward but by the time of visa grant, most people will have already done a lot of planning. Sorry if I sounded rude to you (I'm from Yorkshire - it's just a phrase!)

All the best with your plans ..
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pootle
You're right - I apologise. I realise everyones circumstances are different and that some peoples lives may take more organising before the move. Yes we were lucky and things were straightforward but by the time of visa grant, most people will have already done a lot of planning. Sorry if I sounded rude to you (I'm from Yorkshire - it's just a phrase!)

All the best with your plans ..
some would of done alot research before hand,estimated projection time scales

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.