British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Making a five? Ten year plan? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/making-five-ten-year-plan-848400/)

Tom12 Dec 7th 2014 10:13 pm

Making a five? Ten year plan?

Hello,

I come here seeking advice on a suitable migration path. I am a 22 graduate from an ex-poly with a 'Mickey Mouse' degree in a humanities subject. I have been back in the UK from an Aus year long working holiday for a few months and want to get back there as soon as possible. I did the three months of farm work earning myself a 2nd working holiday visa and thought that this would be an advantageous for a potential migration path. Reading other forums posts it seems it won't help much at all.

Thanks!

msmyrtle Dec 8th 2014 12:15 am

Re: Making a five? Ten year plan?

Unless you meet an Australian in your travels having a 'mickey mouse' degree and unskilled labour experience count for nothing towards skilled migration.

You're young enough, have you thought about studying/upskilling or gaining some work experience in the UK in something more skilled?

Bermudashorts Dec 8th 2014 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Tom12 (Post 11495533)
Hello,

I come here seeking advice on a suitable migration path. I am a 22 graduate from an ex-poly with a 'Mickey Mouse' degree in a humanities subject. I have been back in the UK from an Aus year long working holiday for a few months and want to get back there as soon as possible. I did the three months of farm work earning myself a 2nd working holiday visa and thought that this would be an advantageous for a potential migration path. Reading other forums posts it seems it won't help much at all.

Thanks!

Working holiday visas sometimes lead to sponsorship and other visas, but only for people that are already established in their career. So it can work for say the 28 year old WHV holder but it is unlikely that a fresh graduate would ever be able to stay at the end of the WHV.

As to what you can do next, well it is probably to put this on a back burner and start to work on your career. Visas are not given out on the basis of potential or promise or career interest, but you actually need to have established yourself somewhat before aiming for a visa.

As to what career you should establish yourself in, I would hate to suggest any as I think you should do what you are interested in. If you go to Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection and search for the skilled occupation lists (SOL or CSOL) you can get an idea of what occupations currently may lead to a visa, but note that the list can and does change and occupations come on it and go off it. That is one reason why I think you should embark on a career you are interested in, so it was not a waste of time if the list changes on you.

Dorothy Dec 8th 2014 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Tom12 (Post 11495533)
Hello,

Thanks!

I really hope you declared that drug caution when you applied for your WHV. If not, then it's going to show up when you try to apply for any other visa and need to get a police clearance.

Tom12 Dec 8th 2014 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11495703)
I really hope you declared that drug caution when you applied for your WHV. If not, then it's going to show up when you try to apply for any other visa and need to get a police clearance.

I certainly did not declare as I was told I didn't need to by BUNAC or the like, who said I would need to declare for the USA but not for Australia. I realise now this is not may not be the case. Surely this is a common error though? I wasn't convicted I was cautioned, to be 'convicted' you need to go through court proceeding.

Dorothy Dec 8th 2014 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Tom12 (Post 11495733)
I certainly did not declare as I was told I didn't need to by BUNAC or the like, who said I would need to declare for the USA but not for Australia. I realise now this is not may not be the case. Surely this is a common error though? I wasn't convicted I was cautioned, to be 'convicted' you need to go through court proceeding.

No, as was pointed out to you previously a caution is a conviction for immigration purposes.

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Common error or not, you have a caution for possessing a class A drug and you should have declared it on your application. What are you going to say when you have to provide a police clearance certificate for an application and it shows up?

Bermudashorts Dec 8th 2014 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Tom12 (Post 11495733)

I am not sure why you say you "certainly did not"? Because you most certainly should have done so, as requested in the application process. I think it should also have been declared on your landing card.

A caution is an admission of guilt to a criminal offence and of course it should be disclosed. Declaring the caution would have been very unlikely to have had any adverse impact on your Australian WHV application, other than perhaps to delay it by a few weeks.

But Australia takes a very dim view of inaccurate or omitted information on any visa application and this is likely to present a bigger problem than the caution itself would have, if it had been declared. For any permanent visa application a police check will be required and this will most probably reveal the issue.

Still, you are a long way off being eligible for any visa and perhaps this is moot anyway.

Tom12 Dec 8th 2014 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11495752)
No, as was pointed out to you previously a caution is a conviction for immigration purposes.

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Common error or not, you have a caution for possessing a class A drug and you should have declared it on your application. What are you going to say when you have to provide a police clearance certificate for an application and it shows up?

This was not pointed out to me before I before I applied for the WHV. The caution was for a class B substance, I was arrested on suspicion of possession of class A. I will tell them the truth.

Bermudashorts Dec 8th 2014 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Tom12 (Post 11495820)
This was not pointed out to me before I before I applied for the WHV. The caution was for a class B substance, I was arrested on suspicion of possession of class A. I will tell them the truth.

Who did you expect to point something go out to you? :confused: You are an adult and when you fill in forms you have to read them and fill them in honestly.

And again, you seem to be deliberately misunderstanding what a caution is, it is an admission of guilt to an offence. So it means you agreed you committed a criminal offence and therefore if you are asked about offences you have to disclose it..

verystormy Dec 10th 2014 12:23 am

Going back to your original post, regadless of the rest, at the moment i see no real way for you to stay beyond your WHV. The process in the end all comes down to if you have an occupation on one of the two lists, and at present you do not.

Of course, as your post title suggests, you could come up with a plan to gain the skills and experience required. However, the big caution here is that the occupation lists change regularly and occupations are added and removed. Therefore, there is a risk that by the time you undertake the process - which is going to be a number of years - it is no longer eligible. As an example, my occupation was in very high demand and gaining a visa simple. However, it is now about to be removed (At the request of our governing body).

Therefore, if you do decide to go down the route of re training in something elese, do it in something you enjoy that is just as likely to give you a fullfilling career in the UK as much as it is a potential path to Oz.

The last note i will say, is you do need to think hard and maybe even take some proffessional advice about how your caution may effect any future application.