Lost passport on route to postoffice

Old Apr 28th 2003, 10:41 am
Jaj

Default Re: Lost passport on route to postoffice

Your visa remains valid even though you've lost your passport!

When you get your new one, just send it to DIMIA with a letter of
explanation. If you have a formal loss report for your current
passport, send a copy of it too.

Jeremy

>On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:36:11 +0000, greenwayb wrote:
    >What do I need (in terms of DIMIA) to do to get this new passport get
    > the visa placed in it?

This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction

Old Apr 28th 2003, 12:33 pm
Jaj

He's not a permanent resident until he is immigration cleared on first
entry to Australia.

But I say once again, the validity of his visa is not affected by a
lost passport! Just send new passport to DIMIA with a letter of
explanation.

Jeremy

>On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:15:43 +0000, jude wrote:
    >greenwayb,
    >This may seem a very obvious soultion, but can you not call and talk to
    >you case officer at DIMIA? I am sure even the Australian Embassy in
    >London will be keen to respond - now that you are a permanent resident
    >of Australia. Personally I think if you can send the letter from UKPS
    >and your police report to DIMIA you will be OK. No reason otherwise.
    >Jude

Old Apr 28th 2003, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

greenwayb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost passport on route to postoffice

Hi

Recieved my grant letter on Saturday. Today I went to post my passport to Austrlia House.

I parked the car and went for a hair cut before taking my passport to the post office. On route to the hair dressers I was on the phone. My passport was in an unsealed envelope (Because I had a return addressed envelope inside that which I was going to get a royal mail special delivery envelope for)

After leaving the hairdresser I went to the post office. I gave my envlope one final check before hadning it over at the counter.

No passport.

Panic.

I retraced my route back to the car scanning the floor. Checked the car. Checked my pockets. Wondered if I'd left it at the office after all. Drove back to work. Checked there. Phoned Hairdressers. Phoned police. Phone UK passport office.

So I can give it a day or two to see if it turns up at the police, other than that its lost!

I can geta new passport issued but that will take weeks. If I get a new passport it will have a new number.

<b>What do I need (in terms of DIMIA) to do to get this new passport get the visa placed in it? </b>

I feel really bad.

I am normally so careful with the passport .. I cant believe it!

I am still hoping that its going to be handed in so need to give it a few days.... yuch.

Ben
Old Apr 28th 2003, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

jude is an unknown quantity at this point

It happens! Solution is attach the police report with the new passport and certified copy of the old passport. In addition United Kingdom Passport Service (UKPS) will issue you a letter stating what passports you have held in the past (with all associated passport numbers). All this information WILL prove that you have indeed lost your passport and they should stamp the new passport.

Jude

Originally posted by greenwayb
Hi

Recieved my grant letter on Saturday. Today I went to post my passport to Austrlia House.

I parked the car and went for a hair cut before taking my passport to the post office. On route to the hair dressers I was on the phone. My passport was in an unsealed envelope (Because I had a return addressed envelope inside that which I was going to get a royal mail special delivery envelope for)

After leaving the hairdresser I went to the post office. I gave my envlope one final check before hadning it over at the counter.

No passport.

Panic.

I retraced my route back to the car scanning the floor. Checked the car. Checked my pockets. Wondered if I'd left it at the office after all. Drove back to work. Checked there. Phoned Hairdressers. Phoned police. Phone UK passport office.

So I can give it a day or two to see if it turns up at the police, other than that its lost!

I can geta new passport issued but that will take weeks. If I get a new passport it will have a new number.

<b>What do I need (in terms of DIMIA) to do to get this new passport get the visa placed in it? </b>

I feel really bad.

I am normally so careful with the passport .. I cant believe it!

I am still hoping that its going to be handed in so need to give it a few days.... yuch.

Ben
Old Apr 28th 2003, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jude
It happens! Solution is attach the police report with the new passport and certified copy of the old passport. In addition United Kingdom Passport Service (UKPS) will issue you a letter stating what passports you have held in the past (with all associated passport numbers). All this information WILL prove that you have indeed lost your passport and they should stamp the new passport.

Jude
I can't get a certified copy of the old passport because it is lost, or am I missing something here?

So once I get the new passport I can just send it with the other documents you give here straight to Australia house and without talking to DIMIA again?
Old Apr 28th 2003, 2:08 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

I can't get a certified copy of the old passport because it is lost, or am I missing something here?

So once I get the new passport I can just send it with the other documents you give here straight to Australia house and without talking to DIMIA again?
Do you maybe have a certified copy of your passport left over from when you were appliying to emigrate, or did you only get the number of copies you needed for the application form?
Old Apr 28th 2003, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by mika24me
Do you maybe have a certified copy of your passport left over from when you were appliying to emigrate, or did you only get the number of copies you needed for the application form?
I can look ... but I dont think so. Some things I doubled up on, but dont think I did for that one.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Passport still not been found, I was hoping for a phone call or something last night as the passport had a phone number in. Havent heard from the police either.

Still wondering do I need to contact DIMIA or just send the passport to Australia House with the information relating to the passport loss?

Do I need to fill in another 1022 to notify dimia of passport number change?

Any ideas?
Old Apr 29th 2003, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

jude is an unknown quantity at this point

greenwayb,

This may seem a very obvious soultion, but can you not call and talk to you case officer at DIMIA? I am sure even the Australian Embassy in London will be keen to respond - now that you are a permanent resident of Australia. Personally I think if you can send the letter from UKPS and your police report to DIMIA you will be OK. No reason otherwise.

Jude

Passport still not been found, I was hoping for a phone call or something last night as the passport had a phone number in. Havent heard from the police either.

Still wondering do I need to contact DIMIA or just send the passport to Australia House with the information relating to the passport loss?

Do I need to fill in another 1022 to notify dimia of passport number change?

Any ideas?
Old Apr 29th 2003, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

i know it's not much help to you but

everything i've sent regarding emigration has been scanned and saved on the old p.c first.

b.c's tra stuff p.ports etc etc..(i even tried scanning my x-ray -don't bother;-)

cheers

richard
Old Apr 29th 2003, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

So do I need to send passport (or certified copy as was done on applicattion) to DIMIA before I then send it to Australia House in the UK (who are responsible for putting the visa in), or just send it to Australia House and explain?

Thanks

Originally posted by Jaj
Your visa remains valid even though you've lost your passport!

When you get your new one, just send it to DIMIA with a letter of
explanation. If you have a formal loss report for your current
passport, send a copy of it too.

Jeremy

>On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:36:11 +0000, greenwayb wrote:
    >What do I need (in terms of DIMIA) to do to get this new passport get
    > the visa placed in it?

Old Apr 30th 2003, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Had this from the case officer:

"Please let me know in a few days time whether the passport has been found. Otherwise I will need to get the visa transfer from London that I sent returned, and re-do the record, as I believe the London High Commission cannot change passport details once a visa is granted. This process may take a coupe of weeks to do."

Looks like quite a delay then since I will have a delay of a few weeks to obtain passport, then get the details changed, then resend passport again :-(.

Passport still not turned up ... hoping it will in the next few days, but chance is now extremely small.