British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Long Term Tourist Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/long-term-tourist-visa-913163/)

Dondons1uk May 25th 2018 3:38 pm

Long Term Tourist Visa

Hello all

I'm back. You all gave such helpful advice re partner visa. Just by way of update I've applied off shore for my partner visa (applied about 5 weeks ago) after some possible bad advice about going in as tourist and applying on shore and getting bridging visa. So that's underway. My son is now an Australian citizen too!!

Now our house is selling and we are keen to be in Australia pending the outcome of my application which could be another 10 months or so, rather than rent in London. My MARA agent said I could apply for a long term tourist visa.

We will have money in an account (approx. $150k from the sale of our flat) so can evidence we can afford me not working. We will have some savings now (around $20,000) that is in my husband's account. My husband will get work when in Australia (he is Australian). And we will be living with his parents and they can write a letter confirming they're happy to support us whilst there.

So I basically want to apply for 12 months and say we are awaiting outcome of the application. I'll have a return ticket in case partner application refused but whilst we are waiting we'd rather be in Australia where we can have family support with baby whilst young rather than in UK. I can buy health insurance to cover me whilst I'm there as a tourist.

Does that sound reasonable? The sort of thing they'd likely reject? Anything I'm missing....

I currently have a 12 month visa multiple stays until December - presumably if I am granted a new tourist visa that one just falls away?

Any info greatly appreciated!

verystormy May 26th 2018 6:31 am

Re: Long Term Tourist Visa

You can not be granted the visa while on shore if you have applied off shore, though you can notify the department and they will contact you before grant so you can leave prior to grant.

Off shore partner visas are currently being granted very quickly - seeing many being granted in 2-3 months

bakedbean May 29th 2018 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Dondons1uk (Post 12505096)
Hello all

I'm back. You all gave such helpful advice re partner visa. Just by way of update I've applied off shore for my partner visa (applied about 5 weeks ago) after some possible bad advice about going in as tourist and applying on shore and getting bridging visa. So that's underway. My son is now an Australian citizen too!!

Now our house is selling and we are keen to be in Australia pending the outcome of my application which could be another 10 months or so, rather than rent in London. My MARA agent said I could apply for a long term tourist visa.

We will have money in an account (approx. $150k from the sale of our flat) so can evidence we can afford me not working. We will have some savings now (around $20,000) that is in my husband's account. My husband will get work when in Australia (he is Australian). And we will be living with his parents and they can write a letter confirming they're happy to support us whilst there.

So I basically want to apply for 12 months and say we are awaiting outcome of the application. I'll have a return ticket in case partner application refused but whilst we are waiting we'd rather be in Australia where we can have family support with baby whilst young rather than in UK. I can buy health insurance to cover me whilst I'm there as a tourist.

Does that sound reasonable? The sort of thing they'd likely reject? Anything I'm missing....

I currently have a 12 month visa multiple stays until December - presumably if I am granted a new tourist visa that one just falls away?

don't think you can apply for another tourist visa if you have already applied for another visa partner visa. Is one or t'other I believe.

Pollyana May 29th 2018 6:55 am

Hello all

As Verystormy has said, you would have to go offshore when they are ready to grant your Partner Visa.

It is possible to apply for a long term tourist visa while waiting the outcome of the Partner Visa but I would add a couple of caveats to that.
Firstly, if you arrive on a tourist visa, with your family and all your goods and chattels, they MAY refuse you entry as you are clearly not a genuine "visiotr" especially with the 309/100 being processed. Its unlikely but possible.
Secondly,you can only hold one visa at a time, and the issuing of a new one cancels the one currently being held. The long term tourist visa is not an instant grant like the evisitor usually is, is can take several weeks to come through. Current offshore (UK) processing for the 309/100 is only around 2-3 months. There is a very real risk that if you apply for the 600 and it takes a while to be processed then the 309 could be granted first -and then be cancelled by the subsequent issue of the 600

Pollyana May 29th 2018 6:57 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 12506849)
don't think you can apply for another tourist visa if you have already applied for another visa partner visa. Is one or t'other I believe.

You can apply for as many visas as you like, but only one can be held as valid at any one time. So if they apply for the 600 while the 309 is being processed, and the 309 is granted first, then the subsequent issuing of the 600 ( tourist visa) would cancel out the Partner Visa.

bakedbean May 31st 2018 11:23 pm

:thumbup:

SoCalDon Jun 3rd 2018 3:28 am

Hello all

Now, I don't really know what I'm talking about (!) but, when I had my 12 month 626 Tourist Visa a few years ago, it allowed multiple entries and, each time I entered Australia, it allowed me to stay for another 12 months. If that it the case with your tourist visa, would that work better for you?

Mind you, if offshore visa's are only taking 2-3 months that doesn't sound too long to wait.

Good luck!

Pollyana Jun 3rd 2018 6:05 am

Originally Posted by SoCalDon (Post 12509719)
Now, I don't really know what I'm talking about (!) but, when I had my 12 month 626 Tourist Visa a few years ago, it allowed multiple entries and, each time I entered Australia, it allowed me to stay for another 12 months. If that it the case with your tourist visa, would that work better for you?

Mind you, if offshore visa's are only taking 2-3 months that doesn't sound too long to wait.

Good luck!

Was it a 676? If so, that class now doe not exist for new applicants.

SoCalDon Jun 3rd 2018 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12509733)
Was it a 676? If so, that class now doe not exist for new applicants.

Ah yes, 676. 626 was my old Mazda!

It's just that the OP said that she had a 12 month visa with multiple stays until December and, if it works the same way as mine did it may cure her problem. It worked beautifully for me.

Hope you're keeping well Polly - we live out in the sticks now so don't get back to Brissy much nowadays. :)

Pollyana Jun 3rd 2018 9:43 am

Originally Posted by SoCalDon (Post 12509735)
Ah yes, 676. 626 was my old Mazda!

:D

Originally Posted by SoCalDon (Post 12509735)
It's just that the OP said that she had a 12 month visa with multiple stays until December and, if it works the same way as mine did it may cure her problem. It worked beautifully for me.

Hope you're keeping well Polly - we live out in the sticks now so don't get back to Brissy much nowadays. :)

No sadly that visa no longer exists
I'm ticking on, same as ever, lucky you being away from the city, you must be loving it out there in the sticks?