London Expo

Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice
Default Re: London Expo

Originally Posted by johnknight001
going on sat, any one else looking at the qlds seminar, also any ideas of what to expect. booked at 10.30.
john
Booked in for 10.15 to 10.30 for the qld seminar. Don't know what to expect but will tart up the old cv and also I have a nation of photo's of work I've been doing all ready for my vetasses application. I'll condense it all down into a sheet or two and also have it all electronically with me.

Simon.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

graemestuart99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a secondary school teacher going on saturday, booked in at 1.45pm and interested on going to Victoria.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

simon,
are you taking copies of certs ect, and what do you expect to get from the expo
john
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

simon,
are you taking copies of certs ect, and what do you expect to get from the expo
john
John,

No I'm not going to take copies just cv and evidence of work done. With being self employed I've been taking photo's (bathrooms, etc) for ages to help with my evidence.
As for the expo and what I'm expecting, worst case I spend two hours out of a weekend and know nothing more than I do now (at least I will have had a weekend away with the family) and best case, I might find a job!

What are your thoughts on it?

Simon.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

nudefrogtrev is an unknown quantity at this point

Graeme,

What do you teach? I am heading over at 11.15. Looking to move to WA. The idea of a job on arrival, subsidised housing, extra cash if remote all apeals to us. Down side is your not a perm res for 2 years.

Dan
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

simon
im going down on my own, wife staying at home with son. i hope it will give guidance on state sponsorship possibly, and also looking for possible job with sponsorship. have you applied for trade test yet. im going to take a copies of C.V and also a copy of certs for info, booked a hotel in waterloo. any idea where in queensland you want to go.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

simon
im going down on my own, wife staying at home with son. i hope it will give guidance on state sponsorship possibly, and also looking for possible job with sponsorship. have you applied for trade test yet. im going to take a copies of C.V and also a copy of certs for info, booked a hotel in waterloo. any idea where in queensland you want to go.
John,

There's me, the wife and youngest (13) going down, they're going to keep themselves occupied for a couple of hours whilst I'm inside. We thought we might as well make a weekend of it. Have'nt applied for trade test yet, just started the ball rolling after many months considering. Lot of info to collect. Whereabouts in Queensland is the easy bit, the wife's sister lives in Camira, between Ipswich and Brisbane. They've been there a lot of years and have quite an extended family now. Been out there twice for visits. Whereabouts are you fancying going too? Read a lot of horror stories about plumbing, licensing, pay and re-training but have also been told it's not as bad as it sounds. Was at the York expo last year and was talking to a bloke who's been out there 18 months down near the Gold Coast and was loving it.

Simon.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

hi simon
looking at going to brisbane, or at least the surrounding area, i think this is best for work, i have a mate in the area and he says that it is not that bad, very stringent but all achievable. i think it is a matter of learning their ways of doing things, after all it works for them. i have learnt form all the forums that a lot of peole try to do it their way because it works in the uk, but it is not the uk.
are you looking at going the gas route or plumbing, i also see you do tiling.
john
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

hi simon
looking at going to brisbane, or at least the surrounding area, i think this is best for work, i have a mate in the area and he says that it is not that bad, very stringent but all achievable. i think it is a matter of learning their ways of doing things, after all it works for them. i have learnt form all the forums that a lot of peole try to do it their way because it works in the uk, but it is not the uk.
are you looking at going the gas route or plumbing, i also see you do tiling.
john
Hi John,

I will be avoiding the gas, so down the plumbing route. Although I do like the tiling side, it's good to go in and be able to do the full bathroom without the need for others. Saves co-ordinating trades and it makes sure all my first fix pipes stay in the same place after the tiling.

Like I say I've heard horror stories but will go (hopefully!!) with an open mind and expect to do things the 'Australian Way', there's no other way to go. When in Rome..... and all that.
The Nieces husband runs his own company south of Brisbane, rendering, and is extremely busy so work wise should be fine. Also sister in law has said that the papers are full of jobs for plumbers. Initially we would be able to stay with them, especially has they are planning to travel for 12 months starting June/July time. My wife would also be able to work at the same place has her sister, she's already spoke to the company about a job. All we need to do now is get there!

Simon.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

simon
sounds like you have done all your homework. i have all the paperwork in place for the trade assessment, i thought i would wait before submitting it to see the outcome of the open day. i am currently teaching plumbing at a local college so im stuck inside most of the time, looking forward to getting over there and enjoying life more. my wife is coming to london with me now, looking to see a show (lucky me). there does not seem to be a lot of plumbers on this forum, not sure why.
john
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

simon
sounds like you have done all your homework. i have all the paperwork in place for the trade assessment, i thought i would wait before submitting it to see the outcome of the open day. i am currently teaching plumbing at a local college so im stuck inside most of the time, looking forward to getting over there and enjoying life more. my wife is coming to london with me now, looking to see a show (lucky me). there does not seem to be a lot of plumbers on this forum, not sure why.
john
John,

If I had really done my homework we would have moved about 15 years ago when we first looked at it. I've also put everything on hold for a couple of weeks, who knows what will come of the day in London?

That's why we want the move, not financial, but life.

Your right about the lack of plumbers, there was a forum created for plumbers but nobody really uses it. Don't know why.

Simon.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

simon
i have held of for a few weeks as well, we are also going for the life, its mainly for my son to give him the best start i can but also for us, hoping to get somthing positive out of the weekend, then start the paperwork. as i said i have all the info ready just got to submit. do you have far to travel to london. im only 2 hours so not to bad.
john
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

graemestuart99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dan

I am an ICT & Business teacher wanting to go on the skilled route. Victoria are willing to sponsor me as they are short on ICT teachers. I dont mind where i teach (city or small town) it will be better than Morecambe and a lot warmer. I dont know if i expect anything from this weekend but it is worth a try and is a night in London.

Graeme
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

simon
i have held of for a few weeks as well, we are also going for the life, its mainly for my son to give him the best start i can but also for us, hoping to get somthing positive out of the weekend, then start the paperwork. as i said i have all the info ready just got to submit. do you have far to travel to london. im only 2 hours so not to bad.
john
Going on the train or it would be 4 to 5 hours by car, down from County Durham. Not a big deal though with making a weekend of it. I'll have to got sorted with somewhere to stay.
My oldest won't be going he's 24 in April and has his own life, middle is 16 in July and won't go (but she's at that age where she won't do anything, especially if it's come from us) and the youngest, 14 in June, who wants to go when the wind blows in the right direction.

Simon.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

simon
i guess im lucky, mine is 3 and he does as he is told (most of time). biggest issue is the grandparents, i had the whole cant belive you will take MY grandson away, they do not understand it is our life and we have to live it. Out of interest have you got your unvented ticket or solar energy, i hear these can be popular in aus.
john

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.