London Expo

Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Shaun200 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: London Expo

Oh what a dilema!
Hubby getting train down in the morning. Not sure it's worth it now. He's looking at engineering/construction.

We've done all research etc on net so not sure will learn anything we don't already know.

I'm kinda just hoping it'll spur him on

Confused of Worcester
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

jo1304 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my god, cant believe the expos have been a bit of a washout, my husband is down at the strand palace hotel tonight for his appointment tomorrow morning, he is in IT and although there isnt much on offer for IT, we thought at least he could get some useful info. Surely the DIAC know that it is impossible to conduct seminars in that volume in such a short space of time with so many people, it sound like they are just wasting peoples time and money, I feel quite deflated now
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Shaun200
Oh what a dilema!
Hubby getting train down in the morning. Not sure it's worth it now. He's looking at engineering/construction.

We've done all research etc on net so not sure will learn anything we don't already know.

I'm kinda just hoping it'll spur him on

Confused of Worcester
dont get me wrong there is a couple of engineering stands so you might find it usefull, i just have the hump because i took the wife to london , did the show thing prob cost 300-400 plus and did not really get anything usefull.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Shaun200 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bet the wife's happy though
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:13 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Oh what a dilema!
Construction, he may find something of use. Downstairs IIRC.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by GarryP
What a horrible mess of an expo.

Unless you are one of the very few types of people you see mentioned in the exhibitors list I suggest not wasting the train fare. Every stand you might want to talk to people on had a huge slow moving queue snaking around the hall (I queued for over 1 hour to talk to the ONE person on the NSW stand, no joke). Once you do get to talk to them there is little to be learnt that you couldn't find out on a website or via email.

Badly organised, excepting the outside queuing, and with little to recommend it. You would do MUCH better going to the expo in London in April - a better range of employers and no extreme queuing (a new olympic sport for 2012 maybe?)

Do the maths, 300 people per hour, 1 or two people on a stand. Each chat on average 3-5 mins. Be generous and its a max of 40 people per hour per stand. 40 into 300 means most people don't get the time to talk to people on most stands they might wish to encounter, particularly state and DIAC. Its designed to create huge purposeless queues.
What's the expo in April?

Simon.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

OH is an Avionics Technician/Aircraft Electrician...got an invitation and he is going tomorrow...is it worth his while???
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:42 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonG
What's the expo in April?

Simon.
London 12-13 April
http://www.expo-australia.com/Expo_dates.aspx
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:55 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flixy
My OH went today and echos all you have all said (especially the brownie points!!) He finally got to the SA stand and they didn't even know what pathway D was she said she only dealt with the sponsorshio applications, OH said that he thought that he needed the skills assessment before he could apply for sponsorship, she said ' oh yeah, you do need that but i've no idea how you go about it' Luckily we do - been there, didn't get the T-shirt because of pathway D
He also got speaking to a guy who wasn't even on the sol list who applied to see if he got an invite - and he did, so i'm guessing not many people were rejected.
gutted now Flix, hoping you might have come up with something good...bought OH his train ticket now! Do you think I could get a refund?

errrrrr what to do! Ems x
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by smiling4
gutted now Flix, hoping you might have come up with something good...bought OH his train ticket now! Do you think I could get a refund?

errrrrr what to do! Ems x
Hi Ems,
OH only got one sort of positive in his field, they took his CV and said they would be in touch, I looked at their website - www.workforceaustralia.co.uk, but couldn't find out much from that. They told him that he could get a sponsored visa that wouldn't involve the TRA and he could live there on a pr visa, me being the pessimist (and realist) thought this was a load of b*****cks, but hopefully i'm wrong! But OH isn't as thorough as me, so hopefully your OH will find out more if he can be bothered queueing!
Poor old hubby couldn't even go for a beer afterwards as our little boy was ill today so he came home early (well he would have still gone to the pub, but I made it clear that I wasn't happy!)
Flix x
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Mehiho is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Can you tell me how to get an invite to the expo.I have been searching but have not found anything.
Thanks
Mehiho
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

Bet the wife's happy though
she was, she also got to have 2 hours shopping while i stood in line at aus house, dreading the credit card bill,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:52 am
Just Joined

GuinnessCat will become famous soon enoughGuinnessCat will become famous soon enough

Hi (first BEpost)

I went along to too this today, not sure whether I feel it was a waste of time or not yet...

postive: - it convinced me that I will go through the 175 route (convinced me that I did want to make the move)

negatives: - I'm in IT, don't think that's popular at the mo.

OK - what really annoyed me was there seames to be alot of bull - would really like other peoples opions on this - examples :-

On living in canberra stall (thinking of moving to that kinda area) whislt no mention of ITjobs being in demand - when I asked about ITvacancies I got told there were over 1000 IT jobs coming up per week that they were desperate to get filled.

In ATC presentation - got told several 'facts' such as:
canberra has more sunshine hours than anywhere else in AU - more restraunts pet head - better salaries - better infraftructure, lover crime etc...

whenever people start claiming alot like this, I normally stop believing. would love to know other peoples feelings on this - were all the states giving presentations pushing themselves this much?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

all areas at the expo will push themselves with facts and figures, its a long way for them to come to say "yep we have an alright state" you are always going to get the sales pitch. now you are a member here you will find people that can give you all the advice you need, and usually its non biased and very acurate, (this is my experiance anyway). ask away and you will find.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice

Originally Posted by Flixy
He also got speaking to a guy who wasn't even on the sol list who applied to see if he got an invite - and he did, so i'm guessing not many people were rejected.
I looked at the application for the Expo a few weeks ago thinking it was just for people on the SOL list but in the drop down bar of 'skills' I found Driver.

I filled it in as my OH is a Digger Driver (Excavator) and also site foreman. I filled in his field of experience of operating various sizes of machinery and the running of sites and was really excited that last week when he got an invitation. Although after a call to a recruitment agency last week in Perth who told me there were plenty of Australian Excavator Operators already and after reading your posts re the Expo, I'm not sure if we should just throw the towel in.

I tried emailing some of the exhibitors and got an automated reply that they were unavailable as they were at the London Expo :curse: and I called the Local WA Government one on Friday and the guy there hadn't got time to talk to me but I was asked to email any questions prior to the Expo and I've not had a reply.

Does anyone that's been think it will be a waste of time for us or could we find something possitive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.