Wikiposts

A little help please...

Old Apr 5th 2009, 4:46 am
Just Joined

fbooth3306 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A little help please...

I am a Yank (sorry to intrude on your website, but my ancestors were expats) living in the US. I want very much to move to Australia to work but am reading that only people with non-restricted visas need apply to several posted jobs. I have read opinions on what this is and what it means, but disagreement on whether they are steadfast on this. First what is a non restricted visa and second, should I apply for that first? ANY help on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Seles83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A little help please...

Originally Posted by fbooth3306
I am a Yank (sorry to intrude on your website, but my ancestors were expats) living in the US. I want very much to move to Australia to work but am reading that only people with non-restricted visas need apply to several posted jobs. I have read opinions on what this is and what it means, but disagreement on whether they are steadfast on this. First what is a non restricted visa and second, should I apply for that first? ANY help on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
To find out which visa suites u case visit: www.immi.gov.au and use find visa function tool: restrictive visas i wud like think they mean temp or permanent resident visas holders who are sponsored by state or regional government coz the first 2 yrs u r obligated to work and live in a state or region that did sponsor u....

Last edited by Seles83; Apr 5th 2009 at 8:27 am. Reason: spell check
Old Apr 5th 2009, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

If you are US citizen check out visa Subclass 462. It will allow you to live and work in Australia for 12 months with conditions. See if you meet the requirements (<30 years, Uni Degree + enough cash).

Unrestricted is probably Perm Residents I'd guess - basically they don't want to have to sponsor anyone in.

I came to the UK on a working holiday visa 10 years ago with no job, found a job in my area, visa came to an end and the company decided to sponsor me for a work permit, 10 years later I'm a British Citizen.

Of course I've now ended up in the US.

If you meet the requirements its a great way to see if you want to live in a country and also enables you to get some Australian experience which may help in future.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 1:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fbooth3306
In order to work in Australia you will need a visa which allows employment. Take a look at www.immi.gov.au to see whether you qualify for a visa on your own or if you would need to gain a skill first.

What the job adverts mean is that you have to have a visa already in place which allows for unrestricted work rights. Some visas have conditions on them, such as being limited to 20 hours of work per week or only able to work for any one employer for a maximum of 6 months. Other visas are temporary, and employers are not willing or able to hire temporary residents. You will find that Commonwealth (federal) government jobs almost always require citizenship or eligibility for citizenship, so those are limited as well.