Light Vehicle mechanic vetassess test

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

deano1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Light Vehicle mechanic vetassess test

I thought i would do a little write up about the practical test for the light vehicle mechanic i done mine a few weeks ago which i just logged on to find out i was succesful. Im 23 so not that long qualified.
At the test i was crapping it until about 12 oclock, and in the end i thought i done rubbish to be honest so im not sure how they grade you.
right il start with the tasks
1- Measure the taper and ovality of a crankshaft and camshaft, measure brake disc thickness and the runout.
2- Check a battery using a drop tester and the acid tester
3- Replace a injector on a petrol engine really easy as the engine is on a engine stand not in a car
4- Timing belt on a 2.0 ecotec engine vetra, they have timing tools so really simple
5- Remove a strut from a rover 25, Just remove a strut you dont have to take the spring off,
6- Remove brake pads from a rover 25.
7- Check for brake lights not working on a mondeo its not the bulbs, they just want you to write out the steps on how you would diagnose
the fault.
8- Carry out a coolant pressure test sure its on a rover
9- check 3 thermostats with a kettle and a thermometer
10- check 3 cups of anti freeze
11- Remove a crown wheel from a rear diff and refit and measure im not sure what you measure to be honest i never done that one.
12- Check a charging system on a vectra
13- Measure a throttle postion sensor

Thats all the practicals that they said to do when i was there. I didnt do some of them but a few of the other guys done they ones. They have all the tools you will need i took a couple of my own like my own multi meter. If you dont know how to do something then just ask him he will say that to you. As he said everyone is good at somethings and carrys out diffrent jobs so he takes that into consideration.

They also ask you questions
1-What does coolant do?
2-Why is the cooling system pressurised
3-what should a battery drop to when you crank it over to start
4-If you turn a steering wheel left/right and it doesnt return to the centre what steering angles effect this?
5-If you have a pull to the left what steering angles effect this
6-What should you do when changing a fuse(comment sense)
7-What could happen to your emissions with an exhaust blow
8-Why should you check a catlyst after a misfire
9-What does the egr system do

Thats about as close as i can remember of what he asked me, You have to write them down on a bit of paper and explain a bit. The guy is good if you get it totally wrong he will explain it to u and then you write it down but you have to have some clue. He also will give you it back to have a think about if your answer is closee but needs a bit more explaining.

I think aslong as your willing to learn and have some clue you will be fine. I thought i done rubbish to be honest i was soo nervous my mind went blank but he does make you at ease. Very nice guy. So i wouldnt worry, even though you still will. I thought I would write this as there isnt much information on the mechanic practical compared to the joiner/electrician.

hope this was a help and goodluck who ever is next
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

gaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nice
Default Re: Light Vehicle mechanic vetassess test

Originally Posted by deano1987
I thought i would do a little write up about the practical test for the light vehicle mechanic i done mine a few weeks ago which i just logged on to find out i was succesful. Im 23 so not that long qualified.
At the test i was crapping it until about 12 oclock, and in the end i thought i done rubbish to be honest so im not sure how they grade you.
1- Measure the taper and ovality of a crankshaft and camshaft, measure brake disc thickness and the runout.
3- Replace a injector on a petrol engine really easy as the engine is on a engine stand not in a car
4- Timing belt on a 2.0 ecotec engine vetra, they have timing tools so really simple
5- Remove a strut from a rover 25, Just remove a strut you dont have to take the spring off,
7- Check for brake lights not working on a mondeo its not the bulbs, they just want you to write out the steps on how you would diagnose
the fault.
11- Remove a crown wheel from a rear diff and refit and measure im not sure what you measure to be honest i never done that one.

Thats all the practicals that they said to do when i was there. I didnt do some of them but a few of the other guys done they ones. They have all the tools you will need i took a couple of my own like my own multi meter. If you dont know how to do something then just ask him he will say that to you. As he said everyone is good at somethings and carrys out diffrent jobs so he takes that into consideration.

1-What does coolant do?
4-If you turn a steering wheel left/right and it doesnt return to the centre what steering angles effect this?

Thats about as close as i can remember of what he asked me, You have to write them down on a bit of paper and explain a bit. The guy is good if you get it totally wrong he will explain it to u and then you write it down but you have to have some clue. He also will give you it back to have a think about if your answer is closee but needs a bit more explaining.

I think aslong as your willing to learn and have some clue you will be fine. I thought i done rubbish to be honest i was soo nervous my mind went blank but he does make you at ease. Very nice guy. So i wouldnt worry, even though you still will. I thought I would write this as there isnt much information on the mechanic practical compared to the joiner/electrician.

English test next week?
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

sambafaye is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Light Vehicle mechanic vetassess test

the fault.

1-What does coolant do?

Hey Deno1987
The info you have posted is great hubby and i or just starting the process of the visa application and he is a Motor mechanic and he was keen to find out what kind of tasks were involved ,and what you have listed is a great help.where did you do your test to?

Faye
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

no probs, I knew how hard it was trying to find out when i done the test.
I done the test at Accrington college.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

sambafaye is an unknown quantity at this point

no probs, I knew how hard it was trying to find out when i done the test.
I done the test at Accrington college.
Hey
Thanks for the reply,we are based in Exeter so i guess there would be one closer.good luck and hope you get visa soon.
Faye
Old Apr 30th 2011, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

msbds is on a distinguished road

Hi, thanks for the de-brief on what they cover during the assessment - my other half is doing the practical assessment this weekend and was wondering whether he needed to take any overalls, boots, safety glasses, tools, etc with him.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

I just took my overalls, saftey glasses gloves just in case.
Tools and stuff like that are provided. He should pass no problem its more the nerves than anything else
Old Apr 30th 2011, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

msbds is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick reply! Will pass that on to him and get him to have a read through your post detailing the tasks.

Good luck with your application.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

no probs. These are the tasks I done not sure if they change them around. Im sure he will be fine.
Good luck with his assesment
Old Aug 21st 2011, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

frankiebhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by msbds
Thanks for the quick reply! Will pass that on to him and get him to have a read through your post detailing the tasks.

Good luck with your application.
Hi there I was reading your post to Deano and was wondering how your oh got on with vet assess?
Was it similar to what Deano done or different. I am in the same position and am unsure about doing the vet assess, as I have had no training in 20 years and cars have moved on since then.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Old Aug 27th 2011, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

ZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant future

Good bit of info not much has changed in the test going on what you said i did mine 3 years ago and it was more or less whay you have said so they obviously dont change it much,where you heading in oz?
Old Aug 27th 2011, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

heading to Melbourne hopefully, I am just waiting on the requesting my medicals. what about yourself?
Old Aug 28th 2011, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

ZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant future

heading to Melbourne hopefully, I am just waiting on the requesting my medicals. what about yourself?
heading to perth going in november to validate my visa,best of luck mate, rich
Old Aug 28th 2011, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

aww thats good, how long did it take for your visa to come through? I have applied for the 175 state sponsored visa its been 4 months so far
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

sophjb is an unknown quantity at this point

Deano you said you hadnt long qualified. How long have you been qualified if you dont mind me asking? Only asking as we are at the start of the process and partner has only been qualified 22 months

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.