Life in N.Z....... Can someone reply?

Old Aug 15th 2002, 11:01 am
Bewildered

Default Life in N.Z....... Can someone reply?

Hi,

I know it's rather vague. It depends on many factors- yes, I know. BUT let
me explain.

We intend settling near Auckland or it's suburb. I am talking about a family ,
Hubusand & wife both working in 'some' business house( sales& secretary),living in a
place with rental about $200-$250/week (we would love to maintain a garden if
possible at this rent), not too ambitious or carrer oriented, looking for quality
life. Would want do some social work during weekends, if kiwis permit. How far one
has to live from "downtown"

What's an average day? Meaning, what's an average daily living in terms of
travelling,work etc.

Another thing. Is learning Moari lang. tough? Will it help in getting jobs quicker?
What about french which both of us know. Actually we learned it thinking we would go
canada...but it appears we destained to go to N.Z.

Would appreciate any kind of input on this. Thanks

Old Aug 15th 2002, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life in N.Z....... Can someone reply?

From what I gather, most people in the know about NZ on this forum advise against settling in Auckland. A better quality of life can usually be found outside of big cities. We are heading to the South Island so I can't comment on Auckland personally, but have you considered elsewhere or do you have to go to Auckland for work, etc.

Regards

Lizzie
Old Aug 15th 2002, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

p.s. Japanese is probably a good language to learn

Lizzie
Old Aug 16th 2002, 4:25 am
Bewildered

Hi lizzie,

Thanks for your response. We are not particular about Auckland.

But where excatly - I mean the towns , one would find jobs for us ( Technical sales
& Personal secretary jobs). I did a bit of search on the net & found the jobs in the
south are relatively less. We are just happy to lead decent life( without eating
onto our saving too much/ not borrowing).

Any specific advantages that you have found in choosing south,. By the way
which town?

It's a good idea to learn japan.

Thanks again lizzie.

lizzie <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > p.s. Japanese is probably a good language to learn
    > Lizzie

Old Aug 17th 2002, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bewildered

I'm by no means an expert on NZ but would expect that secretarial positions can be found wherever there is industry but I couldn't comment on technical sales ( perhaps someone in NZ reading this will be able to comment).

We are heading to Christchurch in the South Island, mainly because we have friends there and know a little about the place. It is supposed to be quite an 'english' place but this actually puts me off quite a bit because when I get to NZ I don't want to be British any more. Having said that it seems a good base to make a start from and the climate is relatively kind (compared to what we are used to in the North of England). We've also researched jobs on the net and newspapers and there are programming jobs to be had there for my partner.

We shall be going on a working visa as we need the extra points to meet the passmark so basically we aren't tied to one area - it just depends where the job turns up. But we are decided that we shan't try Auckland unless absolutely desperate - neither of us are big city types. Also, if you are watching your money - property there is probably more expensive than elsewhere in NZ. I quite like the look of Wellington which is also a good place for programming jobs but the weather isn't the best.

I would be interested to hear if anyone out there has any experience of other towns in NZ that might be worth a try?

Where are you leaving to go to NZ?

Regards

Lizzie
Old Aug 17th 2002, 11:54 pm
Kevin.Swain

Hi Lizzie, We moved from Farnborugh to Auckland last year and we love it here.
Auckland has everything to offer if you fancy going into town you can party 24 x
7. it has excelent beaches , views etc.. and the weather is much better then the
south island. I work from home in the North Shore of Auckland and my company is in
down near Christchurch which I fly to every couple of weeks. It is a LOT colder
down there.

Take yesterday we went to the hot springs for a swim which are only 1/2 hour drive
away and its still winter here yet the sun is out !

I hope this helps

Kevin

"lizzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > From what I gather, most people in the know about NZ on this forum advise against
    > settling in Auckland. A better quality of life can usually be found outside of big
    > cities. We are heading to the South Island so I can't comment on Auckland
    > personally, but have you considered elsewhere or do you have to go to Auckland for
    > work, etc.
    > Regards
    > Lizzie
    > --
    > lizzie
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 18th 2002, 7:42 am
Ian Guy

Bewildered - did you get the message on your hotmail?

Lizzie - I've posted on here before about towns. Mail me for the low don on places.
"lizzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Bewildered
    > I'm by no means an expert on NZ but would expect that secretarial positions can be
    > found wherever there is industry but I couldn't comment on technical sales (
    > perhaps someone in NZ reading this will be able to comment).
    > We are heading to Christchurch in the South Island, mainly because we have friends
    > there and know a little about the place. It is supposed to be quite an 'english'
    > place but this actually puts me off quite a bit because when I get to NZ I don't
    > want to be British any more. Having said that it seems a good base to make a start
    > from and the climate is relatively kind (compared to what we are used to in the
    > North of England). We've also researched jobs on the net and newspapers and there
    > are programming jobs to be had there for my partner.
    > We shall be going on a working visa as we need the extra points to meet the
    > passmark so basically we aren't tied to one area - it just depends where the job
    > turns up. But we are decided that we shan't try Auckland unless absolutely
    > desperate - neither of us are big city types. Also, if you are watching your money
    > - property there is probably more expensive than elsewhere in NZ. I quite like the
    > look of Wellington which is also a good place for programming jobs but the weather
    > isn't the best.
    > I would be interested to hear if anyone out there has any experience of other towns
    > in NZ that might be worth a try?
    > Where are you leaving to go to NZ?
    > Regards
    > Lizzie
    > --
    > lizzie

Old Aug 18th 2002, 10:06 am
Bewildered

Hi Lizzie,

Why choose to move to N.Z.?

a) Our son will be attending his ungrad. programme at Griffith university at oz.
b) NZ appears to be lot less agressive than Canada in terms of life style,. peoples
approch though we have not visied N.Z. yet. Like some poster said unless one
visits the country the ideas about that country could be vauge. Agreed. But we
think the size does matter- I mean the population.

We are planning for a dash to N.Z in Jan. in case our approval gets delayed.
Let's see.

Bye & Thanks again for the input.

lizzie <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Bewildered
    > I'm by no means an expert on NZ but would expect that secretarial positions can be
    > found wherever there is industry but I couldn't comment on technical sales (
    > perhaps someone in NZ reading this will be able to comment).
    > We are heading to Christchurch in the South Island, mainly because we have friends
    > there and know a little about the place. It is supposed to be quite an 'english'
    > place but this actually puts me off quite a bit because when I get to NZ I don't
    > want to be British any more. Having said that it seems a good base to make a start
    > from and the climate is relatively kind (compared to what we are used to in the
    > North of England). We've also researched jobs on the net and newspapers and there
    > are programming jobs to be had there for my partner.
    > We shall be going on a working visa as we need the extra points to meet the
    > passmark so basically we aren't tied to one area - it just depends where the job
    > turns up. But we are decided that we shan't try Auckland unless absolutely
    > desperate - neither of us are big city types. Also, if you are watching your money
    > - property there is probably more expensive than elsewhere in NZ. I quite like the
    > look of Wellington which is also a good place for programming jobs but the weather
    > isn't the best.
    > I would be interested to hear if anyone out there has any experience of other towns
    > in NZ that might be worth a try?
    > Where are you leaving to go to NZ?
    > Regards
    > Lizzie

Old Aug 20th 2002, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Kevin.Swain:

Auckland has everything to offer if you fancy going into town you can party 24 x
7. it has excelent beaches , views etc.. and the weather is much better then the
south island. I work from home in the North Shore of Auckland and my company is in
down near Christchurch which I fly to every couple of weeks. It is a LOT colder
down there.

Hi Kevin, I realise that what suits one won't suit all. Unfortunately as the 36 year old mother of 3 I feel my partying 24 x 7 days are over and am looking for a more peaceful, tranquil, great lifestyle for the kids and ourselves type of place so I can't be enticed by the bright lights.

I know the weather is warmer in the North, however I believe it can get oppressively humid in the Summer and as a fair-skinned northern babe who sweats like a piglet at the remotest hint of heat I think any improvement on our current climate will be appreciated but I don't want to be constantly mopping my top lip!!

You work from home which means you luckily miss the rush-hour commute that blights all cities. I could also mention property prices, we'd be paying a premium to live in Auckland.

Thanks for your info on Auckland, Kevin, but I have yet to be swayed.

Regards

Lizzie
Old Aug 20th 2002, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

lmaynard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lizzie:
Hi Bewildered

I quite like the look of Wellington which is also a good place for programming jobs but the weather isn't the best.

Regards

Lizzie

I'm curious about the Wellington weather comments. Wellington has a very fresh feel about it but The wind is not as bad as people think and we are told that it gets more hours of sunlight than anywhere else in NZ. I'm currently looking out over Wellington harbour and it's clear, bright, sunny and wind free (did I mention stunning??) It's about 12 degrees and we're in for a great day.

You don't get the humidity, the air pollution or the traffic congestion of Auckland. We've got the best rugby stadium in NZ and we beat Christchurch last Friday....

Jobs are much easier to come by here than Christchurch and property prices are reasonable.
Old Aug 21st 2002, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

ex kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Life in N.Z....... Can someone reply?

I'm curious about the Wellington weather comments.
10 deg/C colder than Auckland year round.

It's about 12 degrees and we're in for a great day.
hhhhmmmm sounds like there summer??

You don't get the humidity, the air pollution or the traffic congestion of Auckland.
You don't get heat full stop! No traffic congestion because Wellington's 1.7km square. everyone rides a bike

We've got the best rugby stadium in NZ.
But the worst team!!!!!!!

Only kidding!

Median house prices in Wellington are very close to Aucklands $260000ish
Old Aug 21st 2002, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

lmaynard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ex kiwi:
I'm curious about the Wellington weather comments.
10 deg/C colder than Auckland year round.

It's about 12 degrees and we're in for a great day.
hhhhmmmm sounds like there summer??

You don't get the humidity, the air pollution or the traffic congestion of Auckland.
You don't get heat full stop! No traffic congestion because Wellington's 1.7km square. everyone rides a bike

We've got the best rugby stadium in NZ.
But the worst team!!!!!!!

Only kidding!

Median house prices in Wellington are very close to Aucklands $260000ish
Obviously an Aucklander talking...

10 degrees cooler all year? a bit of an exaggerration methinks. 2 degrees probably - a small price to pay for clean fresh air.

Also the size of Wellington is a plus point surely? For all you brits - Auckland's like Manchester (sprawling) but with palm trees
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by lmaynard:

I'm curious about the Wellington weather comments. Wellington has a very fresh feel about it but The wind is not as bad as people think and we are told that it gets more hours of sunlight than anywhere else in NZ. I'm currently looking out over Wellington harbour and it's clear, bright, sunny and wind free (did I mention stunning??) It's about 12 degrees and we're in for a great day.

You don't get the humidity, the air pollution or the traffic congestion of Auckland. We've got the best rugby stadium in NZ and we beat Christchurch last Friday....

Jobs are much easier to come by here than Christchurch and property prices are reasonable.
When listening to people's opinions on this ng it is often difficult to deduce what things are really like. I appreciate your comments re Wellington. The only reason we have chosen Christchurch initially is because we have friends there and know no-one in Wellington. However, we have decided to travel for the first 6 weeks upon arrival and will spend time in both and see which we get the better feel for, plus the required job!!

Auckland was on the tv last night - I know you can't get the full feel for a place from a travel programme - but it didn't do it for me, lovely waterfront, beautiful beaches, nice surroundings but the city is too high rise. No doubt, someone will now come to its defence!

Regards
Lizzie
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 10:06 am
Just Joined

jaycee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lizzie:

When listening to people's opinions on this ng it is often difficult to deduce what things are really like. I appreciate your comments re Wellington. The only reason we have chosen Christchurch initially is because we have friends there and know no-one in Wellington. However, we have decided to travel for the first 6 weeks upon arrival and will spend time in both and see which we get the better feel for, plus the required job!!

Auckland was on the tv last night - I know you can't get the full feel for a place from a travel programme - but it didn't do it for me, lovely waterfront, beautiful beaches, nice surroundings but the city is too high rise. No doubt, someone will now come to its defence!

Regards
Lizzie
Hi there,

I'll defend Auckland. I'm not to sure about it being highrise. It's only really the Queen Street area and Downtown. The highrise area at a guesstimate is about a square mile. Outwards from there it's the usual villa living, albeit a sprawl.

However Auckland is blessed by being surronded by two large bays and within short distance of around 100 beaches and plenty of bush clad islands.

Not such a bad place after all.

Jaycee
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 11:13 am
Ian Guy

And it is the rainiest city in NZ (just like Manchester) "lmaynard"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by ex kiwi:
    > > I'm curious about the Wellington weather comments. 10 deg/C colder than Auckland
    > > year round.
    > >
    > > It's about 12 degrees and we're in for a great day. hhhhmmmm sounds like there
    > > summer??
    > >
    > > You don't get the humidity, the air pollution or the traffic congestion of
    > > Auckland. You don't get heat full stop! No traffic congestion because
    > > Wellington's 1.7km square. everyone rides a bike
    > >
    > > We've got the best rugby stadium in NZ. But the worst team!!!!!!!
    > >
    > > Only kidding!
    > >
    > > Median house prices in Wellington are very close to Aucklands $260000ish
    > Obviously an Aucklander talking...
    > 10 degrees cooler all year? a bit of an exaggerration methinks. 2 degrees probably
    > - a small price to pay for clean fresh air.
    > Also the size of Wellington is a plus point surely? For all you brits - Auckland's
    > like Manchester (sprawling) but with palm trees
    > --