Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Length of Time For American Migrating to Australia?

Length of Time For American Migrating to Australia?

Old May 30th 2002, 3:20 pm
Suresh

Default Length of Time For American Migrating to Australia?

Hello. I apologize if this has been asked before but I did not see anything about
this in the group. How long does it usually take for an American citizen to be
accepted for immigration under the skilled migrant catagory? I did the self assesment
test and received 20 points over the minimum. I have a Bachelor of Science in
Computer Science / Information Systems with about 2 years experience. I have plenty
of cousins, aunts, and uncles who are Australian citizens. Oh yeah, and I'm under 45.
I want to get there as soon as possible so I hope this process does not take to long.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I would love to hear similar personal
experiences.

Thanks,

Suresh

Old Jun 6th 2002, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

ad_can_immig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Length of Time For American Migrating to Australia?

Hi Suresh!
Could you let me know if you are utilizing an agent and if so which one. Thanks.
Old Jun 6th 2002, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thomas will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Please check out at this site. http://www.austimeline.com/index.jsp

This one was set up by some nice soul from this group and has contributions from many, showing their timelines for obtaining VISA to Australia.

The timeline depends on the category of VISA that you are applying for and to some extent on the load of applications in the particular Australian HC. Depending upon the skill sets in demand at a particular point of time, certain category of applications are fast tracked- e.g. I.T.

BTW, an American citizenship, by itself, does not earn you any additional points nor priority treatment, nor fast-tracking in the application procedure. So, be prepared to wait alongwith the others, from this friendly planet - unless you are eligible for fast tracking in view of your skill set.

Good Luck.

Cheers
Old Jun 7th 2002, 11:20 pm
David

it takes around 6 months. thanks