Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Leaving RSMS 119 earlier from fixed term contract

Leaving RSMS 119 earlier from fixed term contract

Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

dsugums is a jewel in the roughdsugums is a jewel in the roughdsugums is a jewel in the roughdsugums is a jewel in the roughdsugums is a jewel in the rough
Default Leaving RSMS 119 earlier from fixed term contract

Hope someone can help me. I am holding RSMS 119 visa and been in employment since Nov 2010 (visa granted Aug 2010).

My fixed term contract ends on the 30th Oct 2012 and no further contract is mentioned or obliged by employer. Literally, I will be jobless by Oct 2012 (I need to take my leaves as well before that).

I have started to look for another permanent job now and might land a job sooner or later since I am in engineering field. It might take 3-6months for me to get it finalised (if I am lucky enough).

I am wondering of my visa will have an issue of I were to leave the employment a few months earlier (maybe 5months). I dont think my employer bother about me leaving since I have already completed the project and nothing much to do now anyway (just finishing up minor reporting now). I needto give 4 weeks notice as well.

Problem is with DIAC whic states this in my offer letter:

Visa Validity
The permanent residence visa, that you have been granted, includes a return travel
facility. In addition, to allowing you to remain in Australia permanently, this visa will
enable you to make any number of journeys and to re-enter Australia as a
permanent resident within five years of the date you were granted permanent
residence. You will also need to ensure that your travel document is valid for this
period, if you wish to travel.
Please note that under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme if your
employment ceases within two years your visa may be subject to cancellation.

I will be in employment for at least 20 months before I leave and can't leave it at the last minute to look for a job since I have a family to take care and mortgages to pay! Given a ratio of 6months to land a job, I need to start applying by April 2012. Problem is what can I do if I get a decent job within 3 months!??
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

dsugums is a jewel in the roughdsugums is a jewel in the roughdsugums is a jewel in the roughdsugums is a jewel in the roughdsugums is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Leaving RSMS 119 earlier from fixed term contract

Bumped
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you are looking for? You already have the relevant details, your visa is subject to cancellation if you do not comply with the terms.

In reality, I have never heard of anyone having a RSMS visa cancelled, but I would not want to risk being the first.

It surely does not take 6 months to find a job in engineering? Why not apply a little nearer to the end of your contract and tell the new employer you have a contract ending on X/X/X and will be available the following Monday.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:28 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dsugums
Bumped
Have a look at number 13.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Not sure what you are looking for? You already have the relevant details, your visa is subject to cancellation if you do not comply with the terms.

In reality, I have never heard of anyone having a RSMS visa cancelled, but I would not want to risk being the first.

It surely does not take 6 months to find a job in engineering? Why not apply a little nearer to the end of your contract and tell the new employer you have a contract ending on X/X/X and will be available the following Monday.
+1.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
Have a look at number 13.

+1.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Are you 100% sure you will not have a job after October with your current employer? You need to speak to them and ask the question, you are assuming that because the contract runs out they will not renew it. You just say they haven't mentioned anything, it is possible they do intend to renew it and do not realise you are feeling insecure.

Communication with your current employer should be your first step.