Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Leaving australia on a different passport than entered

Leaving australia on a different passport than entered

Old Jun 17th 2010, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

alexa7 will become famous soon enoughalexa7 will become famous soon enough
Default Leaving australia on a different passport than entered

I'm going to Europe soon but can't find my british passport (which has au visa in it and entry stamp), i have another passport from different country (it doesn't have australian visa in it), can i leave australia on that passport? will they ask me at the border how i entered without a visa? (i of course can explain i have lost my passport), but won't it somehow interact with my leave-enter stamps? I assume they can look me up on their system when i entered etc but my passports also have 2 different names in them (i entered on my married name but would leave on my maiden name). Emailed immigration but not sure how quick they'll get back and it's impossible to get through the phone!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Leaving australia on a different passport than entered

Would the bigger problem be getting back in to Australia when you return if your other passport does not have a visa attached to it?
Old Jun 17th 2010, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shellyj
Would the bigger problem be getting back in to Australia when you return if your other passport does not have a visa attached to it?
I'll have to get a new british passport in UK or alternatively - aus visa in my other passport...
Old Jun 17th 2010, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexa7
I'll have to get a new british passport in UK or alternatively - aus visa in my other passport...
Not forgetting the name on your passport should match that on your airline ticket - immigration/check in desks can start getting funny about that one also
Old Jun 17th 2010, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Not forgetting the name on your passport should match that on your airline ticket - immigration/check in desks can start getting funny about that one also
yep, will probably have to buy a ticket on my maiden name, just a bit worried they won't let me out of the country complitely cos i don't have a visa there... maybe i could obtain police report about lost passport and that'd help?
Old Jun 17th 2010, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure you are not the first person to have lost a passport so there must be a way of dealing with this properly, i.e. not by using another passport.

They do stamp us in and stamp us out again so I really would not recommend turning up at the airport and hoping they would accept the different passport unless you have it agreed with somebody in the know in advance.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

dream208 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd suggest to go to the british embassy to issue you a new passport.
If this is not appllicable to you, maybe you can get any official papers supporting your case like a paper stating your name in the british passport and its number, so they can look it up at the airport.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I have wondered this too as I have two British Passports with different numbers, dates etc (all quite legal - you can get two passports if you travel alot for business).

I leave and enter Oz on my 'visa' one, but enter UK on the other one..well actually don't use any at all because I use the IRIS scan system, but that is linked to my other non-Oz visa passport at the end.

They defo look at your movements in and out of Oz according to your passport when you leave and enter. The code that they write on your landing card when coming back in is to do with this, so customs know how regular a traveller you are.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 10:22 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Leaving australia on a different passport than entered

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
I use the IRIS scan system,
THIS sounds interesting - can you tell us more?

BB
Old Jun 17th 2010, 12:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dream208
I'd suggest to go to the british embassy to issue you a new passport.
If this is not appllicable to you, maybe you can get any official papers supporting your case like a paper stating your name in the british passport and its number, so they can look it up at the airport.
Going to the British High Commission won't get you a new passport, they are now done through Australia Post and are sent to New Zealand for processing.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=609751
Old Jun 17th 2010, 2:18 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

They do stamp us in and stamp us out again
You know the landing cards and the departure cards that you fill in? There must be millions. I once asked a friendly looking customs officer on my way out of Oz if they ever married them up. And yes folks, there is a department where they do that and they marry them, quote, "Eventually".
Old Jun 17th 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
THIS sounds interesting - can you tell us more?

BB
All here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/tr...euk/usingiris/

I had my iris scan done some time ago when living in UK and it is valid until the expiry of the passport I used to register it against.

At passport control, you step in to a glass cubical, look in to the machine, if it recognises your iris, it opens the door and lets you through. Other systems I have seen around teh world reply on you scanning your passport and then verifying with finger print etc, but teh UK system is solely on iris, you do not show your passport.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

it's just going to take ages for new passport to arrive and i was thinking to go in 3 weeks...
Old Jun 18th 2010, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Cuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant future

How does an arse scan help in this situation?
Old Jun 18th 2010, 7:00 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Leaving australia on a different passport than entered

Originally Posted by Cuppa10
How does an arse scan help in this situation?
It is the same as an iris scan but the viewer is bigger and lower down.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.