Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Leaving australia on a different passport than entered

Leaving australia on a different passport than entered

Old Jun 18th 2010, 7:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving australia on a different passport than entered

You won't get back in to Australia unless you have your British passport with visa in it or an Australian passport. Your current visa is linked to the passport you've lost so the system won't link a new passport up to your visa. If you get a new British passport whilst in the UK, you won't (I'm fairly sure) be able to get a new visa sticker put in it in the UK as they don't do a replacement visa service at AHC.

They possibly won't care what passport you leave the country in but could give you a hard time wanting to know how you're in the country without a visa even if you are leaving especially if they ask for further proof of ID and you can't show them easily that your maiden name is linked to your married name.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You won't get back in to Australia unless you have your British passport with visa in it or an Australian passport. Your current visa is linked to the passport you've lost so the system won't link a new passport up to your visa. If you get a new British passport whilst in the UK, you won't (I'm fairly sure) be able to get a new visa sticker put in it in the UK as they don't do a replacement visa service at AHC.
http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/visaevid.html

But it is probably a lot of hassle and may involve a delay while they confirm things.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

alexa7 will become famous soon enoughalexa7 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

They possibly won't care what passport you leave the country in but could give you a hard time wanting to know how you're in the country without a visa even if you are leaving especially if they ask for further proof of ID and you can't show them easily that your maiden name is linked to your married name.
I have australian driving license on my married name and marriage cerificate to proove the change of name... I wsh immigration would harry up and reply to me already, i need to buy a ticket and don't know which name to buy it on! arghhhh