Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Leading-firefighter- Office Manage? OR study to migrate

Wikiposts

Leading-firefighter- Office Manage? OR study to migrate

Old Feb 24th 2004, 10:40 pm

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leading-firefighter- Office Manage? OR study to migrate

I am desperately keen to migrate. I'm nearly 36 and have no formal qualifications. I need to assess whether to study (maybe an Australian Online IT related Degree or AQF Diploma) and then get some work experinece or to see if there is any way my current role at work could fit an office manager from ASCO list.

I have a father is Australia so could be sponsored, and $AUS100000 to invest. My wife has no skill either. It's going to take a few years but which direction to persue. Below is a rundown of my current position. I could of course jack it all in, get another job and study. But that seems a bit dramatic at this stage. Any help would be really appreciated.

I am currently a crew manager in the fire service. I could force myself forward to watch manager. With a HNC or HND could I qualify as an Office manager as per the Asco description below.
At present I perform many of the tasks on the watch manager rolemap. Loads of office admin, decision making, delegation of resources, documentation for pay purposes, planning training and personnel development. Probably more responsibility than many 'office managers' working in offices that I know.

I have include links to the role maps for watch manager. It's on the Scottish Fire School web site but is broadly the same, it's just that scotland are a bit ahead in publishing the info.

If I could gain the experience in my current job, and study on my days off it would be a really easy way forward, if it's feasible.

http://www.scottish-fireschool.gov.u...Management.pdf

3291-11 Office Manager

Organises and controls the activities of an office including administrative systems and office personnel.

Skill Level:
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Diploma or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.

Tasks Include:
develops and maintains recording and information systems
oversees and controls office functions
arranges office accommodation
liaises with other departments in the organisation
ensures compliance with occupational health and safety regulations
trains and supervises staff
may deal with inquiries from outside the organisation, particularly complaints
may deal with salary, termination and other employment matters
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:46 am
Just Joined

suffolkdino is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Leading-firefighter- Office Manage? OR study to migrate

Originally posted by stevereed
I am desperately keen to migrate. I'm nearly 36 and have no formal qualifications. I need to assess whether to study (maybe an Australian Online IT related Degree or AQF Diploma) and then get some work experinece or to see if there is any way my current role at work could fit an office manager from ASCO list.

I have a father is Australia so could be sponsored, and $AUS100000 to invest. My wife has no skill either. It's going to take a few years but which direction to persue. Below is a rundown of my current position. I could of course jack it all in, get another job and study. But that seems a bit dramatic at this stage. Any help would be really appreciated.

I am currently a crew manager in the fire service. I could force myself forward to watch manager. With a HNC or HND could I qualify as an Office manager as per the Asco description below.
At present I perform many of the tasks on the watch manager rolemap. Loads of office admin, decision making, delegation of resources, documentation for pay purposes, planning training and personnel development. Probably more responsibility than many 'office managers' working in offices that I know.

I have include links to the role maps for watch manager. It's on the Scottish Fire School web site but is broadly the same, it's just that scotland are a bit ahead in publishing the info.

If I could gain the experience in my current job, and study on my days off it would be a really easy way forward, if it's feasible.

http://www.scottish-fireschool.gov.u...Management.pdf

3291-11 Office Manager

Organises and controls the activities of an office including administrative systems and office personnel.

Skill Level:
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Diploma or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.

Tasks Include:
develops and maintains recording and information systems
oversees and controls office functions
arranges office accommodation
liaises with other departments in the organisation
ensures compliance with occupational health and safety regulations
trains and supervises staff
may deal with inquiries from outside the organisation, particularly complaints
may deal with salary, termination and other employment matters
Old Feb 25th 2004, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

chriso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leading-firefighter- Office Manage? OR study to migrate

Steve, you will need to have your qualifications assessed to see if they are equal to the Australian requirements for that post. If you have the proof and experience required you may be allowed to apply under that position. Also look at building inspector or safety inspector they may be close to what you are qualified to do.

I have sent off my Grads and a diploma in FP to have assessed as Safety Inspector.

Chris :-
another firefighter looking for a way in.