Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Is laptops and digital cameras cheap in Malaysia?

Wikiposts

Is laptops and digital cameras cheap in Malaysia?

Old Jun 30th 2004, 10:52 am
ige
Forum Regular

ige is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is laptops and digital cameras cheap in Malaysia?

I taught as much that i shouldn't pay tax duty for a personal stuff.
Thx

Originally posted by phin
Yes they are pretty cheap in Msia. And you can find those shops at Sungei Wang Plaza. I bought my IXUS 500 last mth for A$700 including x2 SD Card(32MB), x1 256MB SD Card. A battery would only cost you A$60 extra.

3hrs wld not suffice for a trip down town. Best way is to stay overnight next time. Hope it helps!

Custom do not tax on personal stuff. Have friends carrying 2 laptops thru custom the last time n no problems at all.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:11 pm

Prince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the rough

Yes they are pretty cheap in Msia. And you can find those shops at Sungei Wang Plaza. I bought my IXUS 500 last mth for A$700 including x2 SD Card(32MB), x1 256MB SD Card. A battery would only cost you A$60 extra.

3hrs wld not suffice for a trip down town. Best way is to stay overnight next time. Hope it helps!

Custom do not tax on personal stuff. Have friends carrying 2 laptops thru custom the last time n no problems at all.

HI Phin,

Are u talking about the Australiam Customs or the UK one.??
Old Jun 30th 2004, 9:43 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Customs will be interested and may charge duty on personal items under 12 months old, especially high value items. However a tourist on holiday would not be liable to duty until they return to place of residence.
Check Australian customs website

paul J
Old Jul 1st 2004, 9:29 am
ige
Forum Regular

How will they know if its under 12 months old.?

Originally posted by Jacko1
Customs will be interested and may charge duty on personal items under 12 months old, especially high value items. However a tourist on holiday would not be liable to duty until they return to place of residence.
Check Australian customs website

paul J
Old Jul 1st 2004, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Hans de Visser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ige
How will they know if its under 12 months old.?
Don't know, but if it looks brand new, they might claim that it is, unless you can prove otherwise. So for example, keeping a brand new expensive camera wrapped up and sealed in its original box, might not be the best idea...
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:02 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Jacko1
Don't forget you may have to declare it and pay duty lots of people forget this, which is fine if you are not stopped. If you are migrating you will be checked.

Paul J

We migrated and we were not stopped. We bought a laptop in Singapore and just walked through with it. We did not hide it but then we did not declare it either. Maybe we were just lucky.

Still it was way cheaper than anything we could've bought in Oz even if we had paid duty it would have been cheaper.

Jo
Old Jul 1st 2004, 11:43 pm
ige
Forum Regular

So like how much did the laptop go for?
And what are the configurations?
Thx

Originally posted by joh117
We migrated and we were not stopped. We bought a laptop in Singapore and just walked through with it. We did not hide it but then we did not declare it either. Maybe we were just lucky.

Still it was way cheaper than anything we could've bought in Oz even if we had paid duty it would have been cheaper.

Jo
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 1:55 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by ige
So like how much did the laptop go for?
And what are the configurations?
Thx

It was about 4500 singapore dollars. It is Fujitsu C Series LIfebook. Intel Pentium 4m Windows XP, Memory stick reader, cd writer, dvd player, 4 usb ports, ethernet port, firewire 1394.

It has 512mb physical and 2gb virtual memory. I am not good at this stuff its hubbys expertise so I hope it makes sense.

Jo
Old Jul 5th 2004, 3:16 am
ige
Forum Regular

Thx for the info.
Its very ok.
4500 singapore dollars is like how many USD?

It was about 4500 singapore dollars. It is Fujitsu C Series LIfebook. Intel Pentium 4m Windows XP, Memory stick reader, cd writer, dvd player, 4 usb ports, ethernet port, firewire 1394.

It has 512mb physical and 2gb virtual memory. I am not good at this stuff its hubbys expertise so I hope it makes sense.

Jo
Old Jul 5th 2004, 4:30 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

1,456.72 USD

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi
Old Jul 5th 2004, 4:40 am
ige
Forum Regular

thx
Originally posted by datamile
1,456.72 USD

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi
Old Jul 5th 2004, 1:21 pm

Prince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the rough

Jo
You can get the same configuration at 6000 RM in Malaysia (1 USD=3.8 RM)
Old Jul 5th 2004, 3:27 pm
Pass The Post

Originally posted by Prince1975

I know we saw the one in Malaysia and thought we would try Singapore. However Malaysia was cheaper and we could've kicked ourselves we would have had an uninsured laptop in backpacker places in Malaysia whereas in Singerpore we had 2 nights in a 4* hotel with a laptop locked in the room safe.

Jo
Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:23 am
Just Joined

dundalkspur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by phin

hI THERE,
Can you remember the shop? Do you have a price of just the camera please?
Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:27 am
Just Joined

dundalkspur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Prince1975
Wher can i buy this please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.