Lapsed Visa

Old Jun 4th 2018, 1:18 am
Just Joined

Thermo690 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lapsed Visa

Hi all, I have recently returned to BE after a long time off the forum, I just need to ask a question of the collective brain trust.
When I initially applied to come to Australia, my eldest son was dependent he was included on my visa, which he validated, however at the time he was unable to move to Australia.
I was wondering if there's a way for him to resurrect his lapsed visa. (9 years)
Any help or opinion is most appreciated.

M
Old Jun 4th 2018, 1:29 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lapsed Visa

Originally Posted by Thermo690
Hi all, I have recently returned to BE after a long time off the forum, I just need to ask a question of the collective brain trust.
When I initially applied to come to Australia, my eldest son was dependent he was included on my visa, which he validated, however at the time he was unable to move to Australia.
I was wondering if there's a way for him to resurrect his lapsed visa. (9 years)

M
He could possibly apply for an RRV if you are still living in Australia. I think he has to show reasons why he hasn't been living in Australia, and close ties to the country.

When you say his visa has been lapsed for 9 years is that 9 years since the travel portion expired, or 9 years since it was issued?
Old Jun 4th 2018, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Hi old.sparkles, thank you for the prompt response, I still live in Australia, and I have been here for 11 years. I was under the impression that my son's visa would lapse if he did not take up residency within two years
Old Jun 4th 2018, 2:36 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi old.sparkles, thank you for the prompt response, I still live in Australia, and I have been here for 11 years. I was under the impression that my son's visa would lapse if he did not take up residency within two years
Once validated, current visas last 5 years from date of issue. What visa was he issued?
Old Jun 4th 2018, 3:18 am
Just Joined

He was part of my Skilled Independent visa...
Old Jun 4th 2018, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond repute

M
As a former permanent resident he can apply for an RRV. He will need to demonstrate “substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties with Australia which are of benefit to Australia”. Additionally, as he has been absent from Australia for more than 5 years he must demonstrate “compelling reasons” for that absence.

There are a number of different ways the eligibility criteria work, based on where the application is made and prior trip history, and it would certainly make sense to have an RMA look at your son's specific circumstances to advise on the best way forward and the likelihood of a successful application. At this distance in time, it does become harder to demonstrate that the compelling reasons were compelling enough, but an RRV application is certainly more efficient than starting from scratch again.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 19th 2018 at 11:55 pm. Reason: Please place in a BE sig.