Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Landing card issue. Any advice greatly appreciated

Landing card issue. Any advice greatly appreciated

Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:38 am
Just Joined

jayletz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing card issue. Any advice greatly appreciated

Dear members,
I was wondering whether I may be able to ask for some advice please?

In 2008 I applied for an Australian visitors visa which was rejected due to immigration learning that I had previously lied on 3 landing cards whilst entering the country in 2005
I have a criminal record for possession of cannabis dating back 20years which I received small fines for. I was also charged with affray over 10 years ago which I was sentenced to 9 months custodial but served 10 weeks.

For over 10 years now I have been a very hard working and well behaved individual running my own business with a shop premises, just wish I could turn back the clock and know I was young and stupid.

I would very much like to reapply again this year as my brother is about to be an Australian resident with his wife and 2 small children. Do you think I may have a better chance now since time has past?

Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by jayletz; Jan 13th 2013 at 6:58 am.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:33 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of
Default Re: Landing card issue. Any advice greatly appreciated

There is usually a 3 year exclusion period when you are refused a visa so you should have a reasonable chance of getting a visitors visa, the 2008 refusal should have expired in 2011.
just make sure you fully disclose everything at Australia house in London when you apply for the visa or the tangled web will get worse.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.
Immigration didn't actually put a 3 year ban on the reapplying so hopefully that's a good thing right? X
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:39 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Its a good thing as long as they said words to the effect "we are denying your application AT THIS TIME due to ........."
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:50 am
Just Joined

To be honest I can't remember the words they mentioned, I think they did say something along the lines of we are refusing your visa at this time. I used an agency called visas for Australia and they did seem to think it was a good thing not to impose conditions. The application went to a visa department in Hobart and they were the ones that refused it after waiting about 6 months for a decision.
I do wonder though whether I should just apply at Australia house in London this time and try and get an interview. Not sure. :-(
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:01 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

Originally Posted by jayletz
I do wonder though whether I should just apply at Australia house in London this time and try and get an interview.
IMHO.. hell yes. fronting up at Australia house will probably increase the chances about 10% or so as you can go the whole nine yards, in a suit, clean and fresh. not some impersonal application half a world away.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure you are totally honest!
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Yes I will be totally honest. Honesty is the best way now and don't want to mess things up ever again!
I think it is an E676 visa I need to apply for, shall I do this online or try and make an appointment at Australia house with an up to date ACPO cert so they can meet me in person instead?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 1:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I will be totally honest. Honesty is the best way now and don't want to mess things up ever again!
I think it is an E676 visa I need to apply for, shall I do this online or try and make an appointment at Australia house with an up to date ACPO cert so they can meet me in person instead?
Australia House does not as a rule make appointments or carry out interviews on demand like this. You would be better off just applying and then waiti9ng for a response which will tell you if they want to interview you.
It will almost certainly be sent to Hobart again as I understand most character issues are dealt with there.

Only other thing I can suggest is that you talk to a registered migration agent who can go through the new application with you and present it in the best light possible.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Finally got my visa with no restrictions! it pays to be honest as things can come back and bite you one day and make the whole situation worse..
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Finally got my visa with no restrictions! it pays to be honest as things can come back and bite you one day and make the whole situation worse..
Glad to hear you got the visa! Have a good trip
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Great news - enjoy your trip x