Wikiposts

LAFHA - what's the deal?

Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:42 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Question LAFHA - what's the deal?

decisions, decisions

we've had a few dips of toes into the job market in Aus as we've been (slowly) sorting out our 136 visa.

I'm 32 so we've got another 18+ months to go before we lose 5 points, so we do have some time available to us.

Some of the emplyers wouldnt pay for housing rental if we had a PR visa, but would if we arrived on a different (eg 457 visa).

Is this because of something called LAFHA? and can anyone give me more info on this?

cheers
OS
Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:59 am
Banned

esku has a spectacular aura aboutesku has a spectacular aura aboutesku has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: LAFHA - what's the deal?

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
decisions, decisions

we've had a few dips of toes into the job market in Aus as we've been (slowly) sorting out our 136 visa.

I'm 32 so we've got another 18+ months to go before we lose 5 points, so we do have some time available to us.

Some of the emplyers wouldnt pay for housing rental if we had a PR visa, but would if we arrived on a different (eg 457 visa).

Is this because of something called LAFHA? and can anyone give me more info on this?

cheers
OS
OS,
It the Living Away From Home Allowance, and is only payable if your permanent country of residence is outside Australia and therefore by being in Australia on a TEMPORARY visa you're living away from home. I was in Australia in 2000-2002 and got it paid (tax free) and certainly makes a difference, but if you're a permanent resident you're not eligible.
Hope this helps.
Steve.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 2:26 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esku
OS,
It the Living Away From Home Allowance, and is only payable if your permanent country of residence is outside Australia and therefore by being in Australia on a TEMPORARY visa you're living away from home. I was in Australia in 2000-2002 and got it paid (tax free) and certainly makes a difference, but if you're a permanent resident you're not eligible.
Hope this helps.
Steve.
Steve, thanks. Can I be cheeky and ask how much ($$) of a difference it made to you? (PM me if you would rather not post openly).
Thing is we have every intention of staying all the way through to citizenship, so at some point we would need to pass through the PR route. Also if we wait until after I turn 35, then we need 5 extra points which we would probably get by having to do the investment sum. That's why I'm being cheely and asking "how much". Hope you dont mind - if you do, just reply & say "no way nosy"!
thanks
Old Jan 21st 2006, 3:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Steve, thanks. Can I be cheeky and ask how much ($$) of a difference it made to you? (PM me if you would rather not post openly).
Thing is we have every intention of staying all the way through to citizenship, so at some point we would need to pass through the PR route. Also if we wait until after I turn 35, then we need 5 extra points which we would probably get by having to do the investment sum. That's why I'm being cheely and asking "how much". Hope you dont mind - if you do, just reply & say "no way nosy"!
thanks

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to focus so hard on the "benefits" of LAHFA under a 457 visa without considering the extra costs of having this visa.

Not only additional healthcare and education costs, but what about the financial impact of having much less bargaining power with your employer if things go sour. Or not being able to take up a new job with better opportunities because you are not a permanent resident.

If you plan on having children or purchasing a house in Australia, being on a 457 means you (and children) miss out on a lot of financial and other benefits.

Jeremy
Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:35 pm
Banned

esku has a spectacular aura aboutesku has a spectacular aura aboutesku has a spectacular aura about

thanks
OS,
To be honest I can't remember how much the LAFHA was, sorry.
I'd agree with JAJ, in that being a temp resident presents more problems than the LAFHA solves. Although we didn't need to take out medical insurance as the reciprocal agreement between Aus and UK meant we got Medicare with no issues. We didn't have children at the time so education costs weren't relevant. Getting credit can be an issue while being temporary, although we did get HP for a new car, this was easier than interest free credit on a washing machine!! We were turned down for that? I couldn't get a credit card until my employer referred me to his bank. And I lost my job and the visa with it, you get 7 yes seven days to inform DIMIA of your intentions and then 30 days from then to leave Australia, try getting a new job and agreement to sponsor in a little over a month, I failed and we had to come home.
PR has to be the way to go...
Steve.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

stokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant future

decisions, decisions

cheers
OS
I was told by my employer that I was not entitled to LAFHA because I had talked about the possibility of becoming a PR. They have said that could lose their 'priviledged' position with the government if there is even a suspicion that it is being abused. So don't mention anything about PR.

I'm a bit gutted to be honest because I won't get any of the benefits of LAFHA or PR. Priority number 1 when I get there is to nag the company into sponsoring my PR visa.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 9:04 pm
womble

thanks everyone! that reconfimrs my thoughts/ideas/research into this topic since I first posted. we'll carry on waiting for our skills to be assessed......(ho-hum - twiddles thumbs )