kids

Old May 29th 2002, 7:20 pm
Rg

Default kids

I've got question about kids. How oz people do about looking after kids when both
parents work (educate etc). This is an important question since I have
4 . Is it expensive ? other tips, hints etc.

thanks Raymond

Old May 29th 2002, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Pommy Sheila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: kids

If the kids are school age, most (if not all) schools have after school care, with reasonable fees.
Old May 30th 2002, 1:32 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Interested in this as well - what about the holidays? Thanks and all the extra days they seem to have off!
Old May 30th 2002, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hi All
We have friends who live north of perth they have two kids and they both work . They put the kids in playscheme type thing over xmas holidays she said it was amazing they go from about 8 till 6 mon - fri and she said it cost about £80 for 4 weeks for the two of them ( god £10 a week brillant ) but the plus was she said the kids loved it , they go on outings and do so much it was heaven , the best holidays the kids said they ever had, that says something.
Joanne
Old May 30th 2002, 9:21 am
Seehion

How about chidcare centre? I have two kids, 5 and going to 2.

thanks "Pommy Sheila" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > If the kids are school age, most (if not all) schools have after school care, with
    > reasonable fees.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 7th 2002, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

paulap is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm interested in this too. I've read on other sites (unfortunately I'm having difficulty finding them again) that there is 24hr childcare available which would be great for all us shift-workers.
However, there was no mention of cost for this, how prevalent it is, waiting lists etc.
Does anyone else have any further info?
Thanks
Paula
Old Jun 8th 2002, 12:56 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

http://www.abclearningcentres.com/

Hope this may help - ABC Child care are the only ASX stock exchange listed child care group. They are the biggest operator in Australia (in a very fragmented market) and their website may be of interest. They should be able to answer any questions.
Old Jun 9th 2002, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

timsorrell is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a thought.. I know if we were in the position of both working and needing the kids to be looked after, we'd prefer to have a nanny / au pair rather than the kids being away from home all the time in child care centres. Actually those holiday activity places are very good for older children but would probably prefer them to be there for just 1 to 2 weeks.

So regarding au pairs, I believe the going rate is something like $150 -$200 per week.... plus of course their food and living expenses. Also consider other costs... for example if you are going on holiday it would be nice to take them with you.... and also assuming you would prefer they didn't drive your car, you might get a cheap runaround for them to use. We know it's possible to get au pairs for $100 if not done through an agency.... it's more like pocket money for them and they get the experience of living as part of a family while doing cooking, bathing and a bit of cleaning too.

Friends of ours have a German student and it works very well and they treat her as one of the family; however I do know there are also families who take advantage and expect lots and lots of work from their au pair, treat them like a slave, are bossy and constantly telling off - and then go away on holiday leaving them all alone... with strict rules like no friends to visit etc. Our nice friends have had their friend's au pair over in tears for this kind of reason, but when they try to speak to her employers about improving the situation, they effectively get told that they are ruining it for others by being too soft! Of course we hate that approach and hope if you get an au pair, you'll treat them really well and therefore enjoy each other's company. The same thing happened to my sister when she was an au pair in France about 15 years ago...leaving her alone in a ski lodge on Christmas day....there are some nasty families out there so if you get an au pair - please be really nice to them!!!!

Cheers
Tim http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au