Just submitted EOI - how long now?

Old Dec 3rd 2013, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

netts03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just submitted EOI - how long now?

Hi,

We have just submitted our EOI for the 189 visa, having spent the last 6 months getting all our professional qualifications assessed (Chartered Accountant and Teacher). I was just wondering how long it would normally take before (fingers crossed) we got offered a visa?

I appreciate that this is likely to vary massively with each application. I just wondered if anyone had been through this and could tell me how long it took them?

Many thanks.

Old Dec 3rd 2013, 12:36 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just submitted EOI - how long now?

Originally Posted by netts03
Hi,

We have just submitted our EOI for the 189 visa, having spent the last 6 months getting all our professional qualifications assessed (Chartered Accountant and Teacher). I was just wondering how long it would normally take before (fingers crossed) we got offered a visa?

I appreciate that this is likely to vary massively with each application. I just wondered if anyone had been through this and could tell me how long it took them?

Many thanks.

So the first thing you need is an invitation to apply for a visa. There are 2 rounds of invitations a month. For December it is the 2nd and the 16th. Invitations are issued to those with the highest points totals first and reports published on skill select - http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

If you receive an invitation, you have 60 days to lodge an application, and customer service levels advise processing times of around a year, but every case is unique
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for explaining that to me.

If we don't receive an invitation to apply for this month does our application role over to the next month? Or is that it?

We believe we have 80 points (you need 60 points for the visa).
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 12:52 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for explaining that to me.

If we don't receive an invitation to apply for this month does our application role over to the next month? Or is that it?

We believe we have 80 points (you need 60 points for the visa).
An EOI will stay on the system for 2 years. It will also be removed if you receive 2 invitations but do not apply. If you have 80 points though, you will likely receive an invitation soon looking at past reports
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 12:58 pm

Before you get an invitation, can I ask how you got to 80 points and what occupation codes are you using?
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

We used the occupation codes: Accounting General and Secondary Teacher.

Points we are trying to claim are as follows:

Age (33-39 yrs) = 25
English Language Ability - IELTS 8 or equilivalent = 20
Level of education - At least a Bachelor degree = 15
Years of experience in nominated occuption - equal to or greater than 8 = 15
Partner Skills - threshold criteria met for skilled migration visa = 5
Total = 80

If we have made some terrible mistake please let me know!
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 1:42 pm

Hi,

We used the occupation codes: Accounting General and Secondary Teacher.

Points we are trying to claim are as follows:

Age (33-39 yrs) = 25
English Language Ability - IELTS 8 or equilivalent = 20
Level of education - At least a Bachelor degree = 15
Years of experience in nominated occuption - equal to or greater than 8 = 15
Partner Skills - threshold criteria met for skilled migration visa = 5
Total = 80

If we have made some terrible mistake please let me know!
No, I think I had it figured out around there - the bit I wasn't sure of was occupations really, as both need to be in same list for partner points, and yours are both schedule 1.

There is a rule that if you overclaim points and get an invitation, but then can't match the claim, you could be subject to 3 year exclusion. As I said though, with 80 points you should be good for the invite - accountants are no where near occupational ceiling, and the 18 November round issued invites to 60 point EOI's lodged on 18 Nov
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Many many thanks for explaining that to me! I feel more confident now. I don't know about the 3 year exclusion. That seems a little scary.

We only submitted it after getting some very good advice from this website about not submitting the EOI until after you get your qualifications etc... approved by the relevant professional bodies. So glad we listened as it took from September to December to get the Chartered Accountancy one approved.

What is the occupational ceiling?

Old Dec 3rd 2013, 2:16 pm

Many many thanks for explaining that to me! I feel more confident now. I don't know about the 3 year exclusion. That seems a little scary.

We only submitted it after getting some very good advice from this website about not submitting the EOI until after you get your qualifications etc... approved by the relevant professional bodies. So glad we listened as it took from September to December to get the Chartered Accountancy one approved.

What is the occupational ceiling?

There is a limit on the number of invitations that can be issued to each occupation group, so that there are invites to all groups on the wanted list. You can find the info on the skill select site, under the reports tab, and then expand occupational ceilings - http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

They group the occupations on the first 4 numbers of the ANZSCO code, and for Accountants, they will offer a max of 9720 invitations, of which 3432 have already been issued.