Wikiposts

Just got home from my IELTS test

Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all
Default Just got home from my IELTS test

For those who are doing it soon, its not something to take to lightly.

Its a long day, especially the morning, where yo are non stop for 3 hours.

Now the 13 days wait to see of I have passed.

Happy to answer any questions, where I can.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just got home from my IELTS test

Agree with you that its not something to take lightly. The assumption that its easy is to be made at the sitters peril!

Best of luck with the results

Niki
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

I sat mine today too, your right its a long day if your not expecting it but the exam is not too bad I think, really it's more a case of did I make any silly mistakes.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by edie209
I sat mine today too, your right its a long day if your not expecting it but the exam is not too bad I think, really it's more a case of did I make any silly mistakes.
How do you think you got on?
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seat151
What is the written part like and how does it work? Is there a speed reading exercise?
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
What is the written part like and how does it work? Is there a speed reading exercise?
You do the listening test first, 40 questions in 40 mins. It gets progressivly harder towards the end of it. Then the question paper is collected and you go into the reading exam. Again, starts of easy and gets harder. No speed reading test.

Finally, the written test, 2 to write, one was a letter, the other was abalanced argument.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

You do the listening test first, 40 questions in 40 mins. It gets progressivly harder towards the end of it. Then the question paper is collected and you go into the reading exam. Again, starts of easy and gets harder. No speed reading test.

Finally, the written test, 2 to write, one was a letter, the other was abalanced argument.
Thanks for that. My fear is my hand writing. Its rubbish. So it will take me longer. I tend to drop off in concentration aswell when listening to recordings so I guess I'll be drinking plenty of coffee. (do you get toilet breaks)
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Just 1 other question, is there a practice website you used that most resembles the exam you took today?
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Thanks for that. My fear is my hand writing. Its rubbish. So it will take me longer. I tend to drop off in concentration aswell when listening to recordings so I guess I'll be drinking plenty of coffee. (do you get toilet breaks)
The three hours is straight through. If you want to take a loo break you'll need to do it in the exam time I'm afraid. Your best bet is to take a break at the end of the reading section as that is the section you are most likely to have spare time on - listening (1st section) you have no spare time on, then reading (where you may well have time - I finished the reading section in 15 minutes then twiddled my thumbs & went to the loo!), then writing. You get monitored on loo breaks, so can't dash off for a coffee

With listening make sure you put no more the required number of words (not 3 of they ask for 2 etc). You get marked down for more, but not if you put less than the required number of words. On the reading section, particularly on the true/false/not given part make sure the answer is based on the information given. You may know something to be true, but if the answer isn't given, then put not given.

Get one of the books nige, it gives you practise material, or if you search on BE there are some links somewhere. Its not a tough exam if you familiarise yourself with the technique, but you do need to get used to the layout, style, and what they are looking for.
Best of luck
Niki
Old Jan 12th 2008, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

ausdreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Just got home from my IELTS test

For those who are doing it soon, its not something to take to lightly.

Its a long day, especially the morning, where yo are non stop for 3 hours.

Now the 13 days wait to see of I have passed.

Happy to answer any questions, where I can.
i'm sure you done fine. could you tell me how much it costs and how many extra point you get cheers
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ausdreamer
i'm sure you done fine. could you tell me how much it costs and how many extra point you get cheers

It costs £100 .

I currently have 110 points, by passing the exam, this gives me 10 additional points.

Last edited by seat151; Jan 12th 2008 at 7:54 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

It costs £100 .

I currently have 110 points, by passing the exam, this gives me 15 additional points.
15? For a native English speaker you get 15 automatically (UK/Irish passport holder) but you get 25 for passing IELTS, ie 10 points extra.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NikiL
15? For a native English speaker you get 15 automatically (UK/Irish passport holder) but you get 25 for passing IELTS, ie 10 points extra.
Post edited...blame the man flu I have!
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Post edited...blame the man flu I have!
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

I found it quite straight forward and will have only failed if I have made stupid mistakes

I think ANYONE taking this exam who has been born and breed in an english speaking country should be able to pass it quite easily buy the practise book that IELTS sell any you will be fine because my exam was almost exactly the same as the questions in the book I bought ( smae structure just different questions)

seat151
Quote:
Originally Posted by knockoff nige View Post
The listening test I took was 1 hour I have just checked the book and its says one hour there too. I think the trick for this exam is DON'T PANICK if you miss a question be ready for the next. I read somewhere to always listen for two questions at a time and I think that is really good advice.

Originally Posted by knockoff nige View Post
The listening test was in 4 parts with a 30 second break inbetween each to check your answers so its no one big long exam, don't worry you will be fine, just relax. As for toilet breaks you were allowed to go to the toilet during the exam only but not in between or when there is only 5 minutes left, you don't get any additional time though be warned..

Oh and one last thing MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE GENERAL TEST NOT THE ACADEMIC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.