Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

June/july 2007 applicants heading for Adelaide?

June/july 2007 applicants heading for Adelaide?

Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: June/july 2007 applicants heading for Adelaide?

Originally Posted by mollybailey
hi there
sending our 136 application on tuesday next week and we are applying for adelaide too, had our TRA done which was ok! now we have to wait, my partners a plasterer and we have twins aged 5yrs, have friends who live there, but there is so much to take in, dont know weather to look at schools, houses /renting/buying, dont want to tempt fate just in case! have looked at some areas,heard the north not too good to live but its such a big area! be good to here what you have found out.
molly

I live in the North, it's not as bad as pople would have you believe

There does seem to be a really big North/South issue (from people here that is), I can't see why The only difference between the North and South is that the North is older and more established (therefore more things like shopping centres etc).

Don't forget there is also the East and West The West is coastal, and the East is Hills.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

boothy6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ozzy Fever
Hi can we join you, 136 visa application went off last week and we are hoping to be in Adelaide feb/march 08. We have just sold the house (mad or what) but we did think that it would take ages to sell, trouble is people that have bought want to be in by 31 July We are going to try and find rented just 2 bed flat as only me, hubby and daugher and when or if we get the visa we are ready to go.

We are never been to Adelaide just like the sound of it, we were looking at Bunbury WA but the house prices just seem too expensive, not able to do a visit as not flushed with the pennies so like other folks we are taking a gamble.

It would be great to all keep in touch and have a meet up if or when we get to Adelaide.

Good luck to everyone on this roller coaster ride

Nicky and the gang
Hi Ozzy fever

wondered if you could or anyone else in this thread help me with the one question I've gone brain dead on for the 136 visa, I have posted this question on another thread as well as the visa is ready to go tomorrow once I have this answer. Number 120 on the visa application asks ' Is this application for a Skill matching visa? yes or no. I immediately thought no as I didin't complete the Skills Matching Database section in but does this mean something else? If you tick no it says the application will be returned unassessed (why) and if I say yes then I sign a declaration for an independent regional (provisional) visa which isn't the 136 independent skilled visa is it? Please help so that I can still have this picked up tomorrow.

thank you
Helen
Old Jun 25th 2007, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boothy6
Hi Ozzy fever

wondered if you could or anyone else in this thread help me with the one question I've gone brain dead on for the 136 visa, I have posted this question on another thread as well as the visa is ready to go tomorrow once I have this answer. Number 120 on the visa application asks ' Is this application for a Skill matching visa? yes or no. I immediately thought no as I didin't complete the Skills Matching Database section in but does this mean something else? If you tick no it says the application will be returned unassessed (why) and if I say yes then I sign a declaration for an independent regional (provisional) visa which isn't the 136 independent skilled visa is it? Please help so that I can still have this picked up tomorrow.

thank you
Helen
Have you got the right form? (They are updated every now and then)

Question 120 on this one http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/47sk.pdf is for people applying for an onshore visa, so unless you're applying from Australia you don't need to fill that one in.

The question about skills matching visa's on the one above is 118, but if you are applying for any other visa then you need to pay for it before you apply so the answer to question 117 would be yes, which then tells you to skip to question 119. Then next thing you need to sign is then question 122.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

boothy6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Have you got the right form? (They are updated every now and then)

Question 120 on this one http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/47sk.pdf is for people applying for an onshore visa, so unless you're applying from Australia you don't need to fill that one in.

The question about skills matching visa's on the one above is 118, but if you are applying for any other visa then you need to pay for it before you apply so the answer to question 117 would be yes, which then tells you to skip to question 119. Then next thing you need to sign is then question 122.
Hi Wendy

thank you for that I told you that I was brain dead, the form has been updated and I have the up to date one from the immigration website but the format is the same as you said the question before does say to miss no. 120 if your answer is yes re: payment.

I think I look at these forms too long and should learn when enough is enough and look the next day or get the fantastic help from everyone on this wonderful website.

Helen
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Tarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant future

Hi There

Just to let you know that there was also a large group of applicants for Adelaide in the April applications especially on 495 Visas and also nurses. There is a thread going on that one.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...92#post4964992

Just might be worth a look to see how those applications are going (mine going nowhere at the moment!)

http://www.freewebs.com/britishexpats/index.htm

Personally I think Adelaide is about to have a 'Brit Invasion' so we should certainly try and get some meets going (both before and after moving).

Cheers

Tarnee22
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by boothy6
Hi Wendy

thank you for that I told you that I was brain dead, the form has been updated and I have the up to date one from the immigration website but the format is the same as you said the question before does say to miss no. 120 if your answer is yes re: payment.

I think I look at these forms too long and should learn when enough is enough and look the next day or get the fantastic help from everyone on this wonderful website.

Helen

I know what you mean I was just the same, my agent was sick of me ringing her
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=sallyclaire;4962765]
Originally Posted by Ozzy Fever
Hi can we join you, 136 visa application went off last week and we are hoping to be in Adelaide feb/march 08. We have just sold the house (mad or what) but we did think that it would take ages to sell, trouble is people that have bought want to be in by 31 July We are going to try and find rented just 2 bed flat as only me, hubby and daugher and when or if we get the visa we are ready to go.

We are never been to Adelaide just like the sound of it, we were looking at Bunbury WA but the house prices just seem too expensive, not able to do a visit as not flushed with the pennies so like other folks we are taking a gamble.

It would be great to all keep in touch and have a meet up if or when we get to Adelaide.

Good luck to everyone on this roller coaster ride

Nicky, Thanks for the post & welcome!
What skills are you all going for the 136 on?
Lucky you to have sold your property quickly. Can be a real sticking point for people from what I've read. I see you are in Weymouth, we are near Salisbury so perhaps we could arrange to meet up sometime? I'll put up a thread to see if any more people around here heading for Adelaide and we could perhaps organise something.What do you think?
Sally
Hi sally
Yes it would be great to have a meet up as Salisbury is not to far from us, would be nice to make some friends that are going to Adelaide, then we would not be billy-no-mates when we get there.
Hubby is a gas engineer/plumber so we are going on his skills.
Nicky
Old Jun 27th 2007, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

magicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nicemagicsprout is just really nice

just come back from an Adelaide reccie this week ive been sat on my application since May just in case either of us didnt like it.
We are both now totally in love with the place it is so beautiful looks alot like cornwall in places. didnt feel homesick at all in fact didnt want to come home.
i would reccommend a reccie to get the feel of the place it was really strange for the first few days looking as a prospective resdient rather than on holiday and i think i would have freaked out a bit if we had landed for good.
people there were so friendly basically saying get yourselves out here now.
visa app is going in today.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 3:59 pm
mollybailey

mollybailey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Hi Molly!
Good luck with application. Are your friends in Aus in Adelaide? Is that why you're headed that way?
Personally, having read through quite a few threads on here and other sites, I think we will rent initially but not until we are over there so that we can actually look around the houses and areas. Internet can be awfully deceiving! Opinions on areas vary but I gather there are some areas in Adelaide to avoid!If your friends are there already, you are lucky to have a local resource! It would be great if you could pass on any info from them as I guess we are all in the same boat, asking the same questions?!
Sally
hi sally
been told of a few areas to avoid angle park,atholpark,ferryden park mansfield,woodvillegdns and woodville north quite a few! our freiends live in aberfoyle park and christies beach and are meant to be nice but until we go i dont think we realize the size of the place. we also will rent but i try not to get too engrossed in it all until we know if we have defo got in! but sometimes you cant help it! sending application on friday so fingers crossed!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

pomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Guys,
We are also off to Adelaide on a 136 im a quality manager and Rachael a hairdresser the little guy is a 9yr old front row bruiser!
We are applying hopefully in July we are waiting the skills assessment return.

Our friends emigrated this time last year to the ozzie police force in Adelaide and they love it so we are going out in OCTOBER to check it out so we will tell you more once we know.

Keeping everything crossed

Matt Rachael n ole'
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:59 am
mollybailey

mollybailey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
I live in the North, it's not as bad as pople would have you believe

There does seem to be a really big North/South issue (from people here that is), I can't see why The only difference between the North and South is that the North is older and more established (therefore more things like shopping centres etc).

Don't forget there is also the East and West The West is coastal, and the East is Hills.
HI
ONLY GONE ON HEARSAY AND NEWSPAPERS, WILL NOT RENT ANYWHERE TILL WE GET THERE AND HAVE A LOOK ROUND FOR OURSELVES, TO BE HONEST IF THE NORTH IS OLDER WE WOULD PROBABLY PREFER THAT ANYWAY ,WE DONT WANT TO BE COASTAL THE HILLS SOUNDS GOOD BE INTERESTED IN YOUR AREA WHATS IT LIKE?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:28 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

I live north if Adelaide in Evanston Park which is near the country town of Gawler, about 35kms (45 mins) away from the city.
We emigrated (husband and me) 8 weeks ago to South Australia on a TRA sponsored PR visa, the only way we could get enough points was to come to South Australia and under the visas terms we have to stay here for 2 years but then we are moving to Perth and are currently having a house built north of Perth.

Spent quite a lot of time here in and around Adelaide and in Perth and my impressions of the two places are that South Australia is older in general, the state does not seem as wealthy as Perth and they don't seem to invest in infrastructure here. For example, the roads are in poor condition, busier and smaller. There are some geriatric cars in South Australia that I haven't seen since the 1970's but you don't often see small, old cars in Western Australia.

Property is much cheaper in Adelaide, we are in a rented property, a 3 bed/2 bath property on a small block worth around $260,000 but in Perth the same distance from the city the same property would be about £380,000+.

The city of Adelaide is more like a large town compared to Perth but both have good restaurants and shopping, Perth is much bigger and more like a city.

There is a huge British/Scottish population north and south of Perth and links to the city are better than equivalent areas in Adelaide, Perth has new trains/roads going in with express trains to the city.

South of Adelaide seems to me to be less built up, new housing estates at Aldinga are nice and near the beach but a bit too remote for me and without the shopping and restaurants etc. Nevertheless if you and your families are beach bunnies then it is ideal and not so expensive the further south you go.

In the north/east it is more a country lifestyle with the plenty of wineries (Barossa Valley) and without the beach but more built up and with more easily accessable facilities.
I guess it depends what type of life you are looking for and your budget.

There are bad areas around Adelaide as there are in Perth.
I think BE Wendy lives at Mawson Lakes which is a nice new area (but more expensive, bigger houses) with good transport links but then some areas further north are not good.
The houses are older, there seems to be petty crime and vandalism. Golden Grove is nice set in the hills north east of the city and has good access to facilities locally and larger shopping areas.

In general, Perth and Western Australia seem to have nicer, better cared for houses and gardens, less graffitti and is newer and therefore has a more tidy, ordered appearance.
Bunbury is also nice and a holiday type destination but a long way south and if you need to be in the city environs for jobs etc then too far out.
Perth suburbs are booming with house building everywhere and tradespeople for building are highly prized so it is easy to get a job, not so easy in Adelaide as the area does not seem to be so prosperous at the moment.

The weather is not as good in Adelaide, I am shocked at how cold it is here!! Night temps are below freezing and we are scraping the frost from the windscreen after leaving all our de-icer in the UK.

There is plenty to do and see in both Perth and Adelaide and surrounding areas for adults and kids.
Finally, Perth is relatively nearer the UK for flights and flights seem more frequent from Perth but bear in mind it is the remotest city in the World!

Hope I have been of some help.
Wish you all the best in your new adventures in Australia..wherever you chose!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mollybailey
HI
ONLY GONE ON HEARSAY AND NEWSPAPERS, WILL NOT RENT ANYWHERE TILL WE GET THERE AND HAVE A LOOK ROUND FOR OURSELVES, TO BE HONEST IF THE NORTH IS OLDER WE WOULD PROBABLY PREFER THAT ANYWAY ,WE DONT WANT TO BE COASTAL THE HILLS SOUNDS GOOD BE INTERESTED IN YOUR AREA WHATS IT LIKE?

The hills are lovely, there are lots of nice area's up there.

I live at Para Hills. As the previous poster said, I did originally go to Mawson Lakes, but the houses are (to my mind) overpriced for what they are. There is no garden and the houses are cramped together. But it is a stunning place, just not quite what we were after.

Para Hills doesn't have a brilliant reputation, but I like it here. The people are friendly, it's within the reach of lots of places. My house is on a large 911 meter block, with a pool, palm, orange and lemon trees and it only cost me $237k.

Take a good look around when you get here, and don't rush into buying until you are sure you like the area
Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Em76 will become famous soon enoughEm76 will become famous soon enough

Can I join? I am a March applicant, but promise not to rub it in if you let me join in
My OH and I are going for a reccie to Adelaide in August for 3 weeks. Never been to Oz before, but from all we have heard/ read Adelaide seems to be the place for us.
We are (hopefully) going on a 136 as a teacher + bag carrier
Old Jul 1st 2007, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Em76
Can I join? I am a March applicant, but promise not to rub it in if you let me join in
My OH and I are going for a reccie to Adelaide in August for 3 weeks. Never been to Oz before, but from all we have heard/ read Adelaide seems to be the place for us.
We are (hopefully) going on a 136 as a teacher + bag carrier
WELCOME!
Of course you can join in,it will be great for us to have your input, especially if you end up out there before all of us!!!
Let us know how the August trip goes,
Sally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.