British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Joining my family, After I complete my degree. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/joining-my-family-after-i-complete-my-degree-794463/)

JPaull Apr 18th 2013 9:32 pm

Joining my family, After I complete my degree.

So the situation is, I am on the way to completing my degree, however I am a long way off, and it will be some time in 2016 when I finish. My family's (Mum, Dad and brother) intention is to move to Australia before then, and (although at the beginning) they are looking into the visa process, and which visas they are eligible for.

My problem arises when I complete my degree and if I can actually move out there with them. I will be 23 when I finish, and they want me to be able to move out there with them if they do actually go ahead with this.

Will I still be a dependent? chances are coming out of uni straight away I will not have a job or a means of being able to support myself for an extended period of time, chances are I will have to rely on them for a time. I believe that being younger than 25, and still relying on my parents classes me as a dependent? but I can't be too sure.

Can I be put onto their visa application? I have been told with some visas I could go to Australia with them, and come back into the UK temporarily to finish my degree, how true is this, and is it even viable?

Thanks in advance - Joe :)

Tuxtrip Apr 18th 2013 9:49 pm

Re: Joining my family, After I complete my degree.

If you are fully dependent on them now, it would be preferable to be included on their application. Once activated, you have up to 5 years to make the permanent move, so that would fit in with your timescales. There are a lot of factors to this though so it would be a good idea to have a chat with a migration agent to get the full story.
Other than that, there is always the WHV or your own skilled visa.

JPaull Apr 18th 2013 10:28 pm

Have thought about using my degree, to get my own skilled visa. But in the end its down to whatever is easiest and will cause me the least problems down the line. :)

Tuxtrip Apr 18th 2013 11:46 pm

If you are able to be included in your parents application, that is the easiest and cheapest option for you.

Bermudashorts Apr 20th 2013 4:15 am

Originally Posted by JPaull (Post 10666945)
So the situation is, I am on the way to completing my degree, however I am a long way off, and it will be some time in 2016 when I finish. My family's (Mum, Dad and brother) intention is to move to Australia before then, and (although at the beginning) they are looking into the visa process, and which visas they are eligible for.

My problem arises when I complete my degree and if I can actually move out there with them. I will be 23 when I finish, and they want me to be able to move out there with them if they do actually go ahead with this.

Will I still be a dependent? chances are coming out of uni straight away I will not have a job or a means of being able to support myself for an extended period of time, chances are I will have to rely on them for a time. I believe that being younger than 25, and still relying on my parents classes me as a dependent? but I can't be too sure.

Can I be put onto their visa application? I have been told with some visas I could go to Australia with them, and come back into the UK temporarily to finish my degree, how true is this, and is it even viable?

Thanks in advance - Joe :)

Get the visa with them, take a holiday to validate it and then you have five years to make the permanent move which will be long enough to finish yor degree in UK. Easy peasy.

pumpkin blossom Apr 20th 2013 9:20 am

Just make sure it is a permanent visa that they go for straight off, not a temporary one.