IT Jobs in Melbourne

Old Aug 16th 2002, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

willywh3r3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Jobs in Melbourne

Hi,

How good or bad is it for getting IT jobs in Melbourne?

If you were to job hunt, how long will it take before you start working in IT?

Thanks,
Wil
Old Aug 16th 2002, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: IT Jobs in Melbourne

Originally posted by willywh3r3:
Hi,

How good or bad is it for getting IT jobs in Melbourne?

If you were to job hunt, how long will it take before you start working in IT?

Thanks,
Wil
From what I am hearing, there are about 250+ applicants for each IT job in Melbourne. draw your own conclusions on that.
Old Aug 17th 2002, 2:47 am
Jason Brown

willywh3r3 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    > How good or bad is it for getting IT jobs in Melbourne?
    > If you were to job hunt, how long will it take before you start working in IT?
    > Thanks, Wil

Lots of IT jobs.... u can get one within 2 days of search...

Sizzling hot market in sydney, melbourne, brisbane, and perth.

Some IT positions come with stock options, car/rent allowance, medical
benefits etc...

Old Aug 17th 2002, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

princef is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, what kind of IT jobs are available within such a short period? And who are those incredible IT Recruiters or Employers???

princef

Originally posted by Jason Brown:
willywh3r3 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > How good or bad is it for getting IT jobs in Melbourne?
    > If you were to job hunt, how long will it take before you start working in IT?
    > Thanks, Wil

Lots of IT jobs.... u can get one within 2 days of search...

Sizzling hot market in sydney, melbourne, brisbane, and perth.

Some IT positions come with stock options, car/rent allowance, medical
benefits etc...
Old Aug 17th 2002, 9:07 am
Rob McRory

Devlin, I understand that you are not happy with Oz, and that you have obviously had
some bad experiences, but have you done the maths regarding your estimate that there
are 250 applicants for every IT job? That would mean that for every 100 jobs filled
24900 people would remain unemployed!! If that were the case not only would DIMIA be
refusing to let in any IT professionals, but they would probably be closing down IT
courses at university!

If you are absolutely sure that your figures are accurate could you please quote your
source, as there will be many people reading this post, who are already nervous, who
could decide not to apply; is that decision yours to make?

I value your opinion greatly as you understand the IT market in Melbourne which is
exactly where I hope to end up, but it is only facts that will help me or anyone else
looking to apply.

Thanks

Rob

"Devlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by willywh3r3:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > How good or bad is it for getting IT jobs in Melbourne?
    > >
    > > If you were to job hunt, how long will it take before you start working in IT?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Wil
    > From what I am hearing, there are about 250+ applicants for each IT job in
    > Melbourne. draw your own conclusions on that.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 17th 2002, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Rob McRory:
Devlin, I understand that you are not happy with Oz, and that you have obviously had
some bad experiences, but have you done the maths regarding your estimate that there
are 250 applicants for every IT job? That would mean that for every 100 jobs filled
24900 people would remain unemployed!!

mmmm...so each person can only apply for one job?! That is a law that I am certainly not familiar with. Maybe you should try doing some maths yourself...

I don't say that that figure is scientifically accurate, it is simply the figure that has been mentioned by two of my friends who are IT recruiters in Melbourne and that is specifically for technical jobs, not management.
Old Aug 17th 2002, 5:59 pm
Rob McRory

> mmmm...so each person can only apply for one job?! That is a law that I am
    > certainly not familiar with. Maybe you should try doing some maths
    > yourself...

I didn't actually say anything about one person only being able to apply for only one
job, nor did I make any kind of personal insult to your mathmatical intelligence.

I think I would like to end this thread at this point.

I wish you all the very best

Rob

Old Aug 17th 2002, 6:45 pm
akq
Forum Regular

akq is an unknown quantity at this point

You are the rude one for calling someone an idiot for no valid reason. Devlin's comment about the 250+ applicants is completely unfounded, based on a "couple of IT recruitment friends" offhand comments, not statistics. It wasn't because he was a "scaredy cat" that Rob chose to stop the thread, it was because he appears to be someone with a bit of common sense and decent manners who didn't want to pursue an aimless pointless tangent that had nothing to do with the original question. I suggest you take the time to read through a post thoroughly before calling someone else unkind names.
Tegan
Old Aug 17th 2002, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

rajarajaraja is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys relax!!... I know everyone is frustrated , that is why we are here discussing about it... Lets try to be cool

Peace!!

Originally posted by akq:
You are the rude one for calling someone an idiot for no valid reason. Devlin's comment about the 250+ applicants is completely unfounded, based on a "couple of IT recruitment friends" offhand comments, not statistics. It wasn't because he was a "scaredy cat" that Rob chose to stop the thread, it was because he appears to be someone with a bit of common sense and decent manners who didn't want to pursue an aimless pointless tangent that had nothing to do with the original question. I suggest you take the time to read through a post thoroughly before calling someone else unkind names.
Tegan
Old Aug 17th 2002, 11:15 pm
Jason Brown

princef <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Well, what kind of IT jobs are available within such a short period? And who are
    > those incredible IT Recruiters or Employers???
    > princef
    > Originally posted by Jason Brown:
    > > willywh3r3 wrote in message news:...
    > > > Hi, How good or bad is it for getting IT jobs in Melbourne? If you were to job
    > > > hunt, how long will it take before you start working in IT? Thanks, Wil
    > >
    > > Lots of IT jobs.... u can get one within 2 days of search...
    > >
    > > Sizzling hot market in sydney, melbourne, brisbane, and perth.
    > >
    > > Some IT positions come with stock options, car/rent allowance, medical benefits
    > > etc...
come and see for yourself........ cause u won't believe if I tell you....

Old Aug 18th 2002, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

willywh3r3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your comments on IT jobs availability is on the opposite of what the majority of this forum posters had said.

Was that your personal experience or any of your friend's (get the job in 2 days)?

If it is a general situation (is not one case), I think many people here would say wrongly about IT jobs scarcity.

Originally posted by Jason Brown:
princef <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Well, what kind of IT jobs are available within such a short period? And who are
    > those incredible IT Recruiters or Employers???
    > princef
    > Originally posted by Jason Brown:
    > > willywh3r3 wrote in message news:...
    > > > Hi, How good or bad is it for getting IT jobs in Melbourne? If you were to job
    > > > hunt, how long will it take before you start working in IT? Thanks, Wil
    > >
    > > Lots of IT jobs.... u can get one within 2 days of search...
    > >
    > > Sizzling hot market in sydney, melbourne, brisbane, and perth.
    > >
    > > Some IT positions come with stock options, car/rent allowance, medical benefits
    > > etc...
come and see for yourself........ cause u won't believe if I tell you....
Old Aug 19th 2002, 3:28 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not from, or have ever been to Australia, so I do not profess to be an expert on the job market there. But I imagine that it's very likely that it depends on your IT field and speciality. Some areas of the market may well be flooded with applicants, others may be the exact opposite. For example, if you have skills that suit the latest trend, you may be well in demand, and possibly the only applicant for the job. If you have older, possibly more general skills, there may well be 250+ applicants. Let's not let this degrade into another of those "you're wrong, I'm right" arguments. Perhaps it would be an idea for people to put a brief skillset when they want to know the liklihood of getting a job.
:lecture:
Old Aug 20th 2002, 11:39 am
Just Joined

dlendl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all!
I am quite some time in Perth, and can say only how situation is here. Few r. consultants told me that the same situation is in Mel and Syd.
Currently, here are more than 15000 unemployed IT professionals. Unfortunatly, we dont know how many precisely. ACS is trying to find exact number, and you can visit acs site. So, calculation of 250+ can be true.
There are many ghoust positions on Internet, if not all.
Skils in demand are Java, with 5+ years of experience?!
Dont ask anything alse. Oracle, I have 4+, and there are no interested at all.
Contracts: here in Perth 35-40$. There are no contract Oracle jobs.
Problem is one and only: local experience. If you dont have, dont expect anything. Some of r. consultants told me that I shoud work for free, just to get some local experience :-)
Example 2: For 100 positions in Oracle Co., Brisbane, 10000 applicants. Yes, the number is correct, you can find it in The Australian.
It will be great to build some internet portal for calculating how many of us applyed on every position here...
D.
Old Aug 20th 2002, 8:00 pm
Carlos

Hi there .. for those who have some Australia It job expereience ......WHAT ABOUT THE
CHANCES FOR ADVANCED WEB DESIGNER (FLASH EXPERT) ?????? Do I have any chance to get a
JOb if a I move to OZ ?

Old Aug 20th 2002, 8:05 pm
Carlos

Hi there

For those who knows about IT job situation in OZ ..What about Jobs for advanced web
designer ???' do I have any chance to get a job if I move to OZ ??'

THANKS IN ADVANCE