British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Job Offer in Melbourne What Visa do I need? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/job-offer-melbourne-what-visa-do-i-need-899926/)

delta72 Jul 21st 2017 9:41 pm

Job Offer in Melbourne What Visa do I need?

Hi Need some help been offered a job in Melbourne but do not know what visa I need.
I am 45 years old and will be going over first then I will bring my wife and kids over.
Its a carpentry/Joiner job for £70,000 a year with tools,overtime and van provided.
Does this job sound to good to be true?And what is the likelyhood of me getting a visa and being able to stay in oz once my visa has run out?

BritInParis Jul 21st 2017 9:45 pm

Re: Job Offer in Melbourne What Visa do I need?

If your potential employer isn't arranging your visa for you then that should give you pause for thought.

delta72 Jul 21st 2017 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12299680)
If your potential employer isn't arranging your visa for you then that should give you pause for thought.

Thats what I thought.

carcajou Jul 22nd 2017 1:55 am

Does the employer know that you are not an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident?

If yes, and they are not offering to sort your temporary work visa - this is not a road that you want to go down. If you are caught working illegally in Australia, you will be deported and receive a ban.

If the company is not going to be forthright and do your visa properly, what else are they not going to be forthright and proper about?

verystormy Jul 22nd 2017 5:29 am

Even if they do arrange a visa, it would be a 457 visa which is a temporary visa with a lot of catches and because of your age, you would not be eligible to stay beyond as the age cut off has now reduced to 45

quoll Jul 22nd 2017 6:23 pm

Ditto re the visas - unless they are going to get you a temporary visa for you and the whole family, forget it.

I assume you mean $70k not £ in which case that's a very ordinary wage and is that inclusive of superannuation? A family is going to struggle on that and be aware that you would get no help with child care at all on a temp visa and your wife could struggle to find work as the dependent of a temporary visa holder.

Take the promise of overtime and bonuses with a large pinch of salt, they often don't materialise and some folk have discovered to their cost that they never get beyond their probation period and have to leave.

I would be viewing this one with a good deal of caution tbh