Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Job losses in Australia reality of GFC bites

Wikiposts

Job losses in Australia reality of GFC bites

Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold
Default Job losses in Australia reality of GFC bites

Well they have been talking about the GFC (Global Financial Crisis) and its estimated effect on Australia and today was one of those days where it spelled disaster for a few friends of mine.

My company who employs about 400 people announced that at this time it has decided to make redundant 10% of its workforce, the company claim that it believes that it has no choice but reduce the number of roles that they say are non-essential to the running of the business.

Roles affected

Accountants
clerical staff
IT (slashed)
SAP team (no longer)
Account managers
less skilled Engineers.

In all about 40 people but they reckon that its a first and last move for this year at least without compromising the service to its clients.

Personally my team and I are not affected

A few of the senior managers are saying this is going to the trend with many companies throughout the year. Also on the news the reckon that the jobless rate could reach double figures.

Just wondering how this will affect immigration??
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job losses in Australia reality of GFC bites

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse

A lot, probably.

And not just in Australia.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Well according to 2GB on the radio this morning they reckon that the jobless rate is going to rise which means more people are going be searching for a job here in Australia..... the point is any new permanent residents cannot claim centrelink for 2 years so they better be coming with a job offer or plenty of cash.

Thats Probably why Chris Evans prioritized ENS because those applicants will hit the road running with out searching for a job for months on end..... followed by CSL getting the people who are required in ceratin areas.

Last edited by man_called_Horse; Jan 15th 2009 at 3:59 pm. Reason: p.s
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well according to 2GB on the radio this morning they reckon that the jobless rate is going to rise which means more people are going be searching for a job here in Australia..... the point is any new permanent residents cannot claim centrelink for 2 years so they better be coming with a job offer or plenty of cash.
Same as normal then - those with a job offer and/or plenty of cash will always have an easier start.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:07 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well they have been talking about the GFC (Global Financial Crisis) and its estimated effect on Australia and today was one of those days where it spelled disaster for a few friends of mine.

My company who employs about 400 people announced that at this time it has decided to make redundant 10% of its workforce, the company claim that it believes that it has no choice but reduce the number of roles that they say are non-essential to the running of the business.

Roles affected

Accountants
clerical staff
IT (slashed)
SAP team (no longer)
Account managers
less skilled Engineers.

In all about 40 people but they reckon that its a first and last move for this year at least without compromising the service to its clients.

A few of the senior managers are saying this is going to the trend with many companies throughout the year. Also on the news the reckon that the jobless rate could reach double figures.

Which jobs were affected in IT?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Which jobs were affected in IT?
well that dept. was reduced by 50% they were just the standard IT analysts.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:19 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Software developers or purely analysts?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:21 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

But its an ill wind as they say, this will lead to more outsourcing to companies like mine. Managed infrastructure services tend to expand during times like these.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice

Roles affected

Accountants
clerical staff
IT (slashed)
SAP team (no longer)
Account managers
less skilled Engineers.

It is sad to hear so. I thought Australia is safe from GFC.

I hope it will be over by the time I reach Tasmania.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

grantvt is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ahmadj
It is sad to hear so. I thought Australia is safe from GFC.

I hope it will be over by the time I reach Tasmania.
I dont think anywhere is safe from the GFC. It really just depends how quickly the markets can recover.

Australia may be in a good position to recover being a 1st world country with strong local and international trade as opposed to other larger countries or 3rd world countries.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:14 am
Just Joined

jacarandas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grantvt
I dont think anywhere is safe from the GFC. It really just depends how quickly the markets can recover.

Australia may be in a good position to recover being a 1st world country with strong local and international trade as opposed to other larger countries or 3rd world countries.
I agree. I actually do have a few friends who have been made redundant in Australia and are having problems getting a new job. So, even though my PR has just been approved, I am probably going to stay put where I am for a year or two.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:50 am
Just Joined

Darren_Leake is an unknown quantity at this point

Its very much crystal ball gazing at this time I'm afraid.

There was another discussion on this issue here;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=584691

In particular this article was being discussed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv...50F1SK20090116
Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice
Post Re: Job losses in Australia reality of GFC bites

This is real and really sad ... those skilled migrant (like in sub-class 176) outside ENS, CSL, MODL stand zero chance of landing a decent job when they move down.

Keeping my hope high that the Telecomm Industry won't be badly hit by GFC in Australia.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sram466
This is real and really sad ... those skilled migrant (like in sub-class 176) outside ENS, CSL, MODL stand zero chance of landing a decent job when they move down.

Keeping my hope high that the Telecomm Industry won't be badly hit by GFC in Australia.
CSL and MODL are no guarantee that an applicant will get a job, its up to the employer's discretion wether to hire hire someone or not.

Just because the country is short on skills does not mean that companies will hire anyone, it's easy to hire someone who is useless but very difficult to get rid of them.

Anyone who has spent any considerable time living in Australia would know that there are plenty of immigrants who would have had to have some sort of skill to satisfy migration requirements and are working at something totally different because they find it difficult obtaining a job in their specified field. Instead they are doing other occupations such as working in

Driving Taxi's
Petrol stations
Fast food
7-11 convenience stores.

It does not matter if you are on a 175, 176, or what ever. It's when you are sitting in a interview in front of 3 suits is what counts.

No visa not even ENS is any guarantee to getting/keeping a job if you are not suited to what an employer is looking for in a candidate.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice

CSL and MODL are no guarantee that an applicant will get a job, its up to the employer's discretion wether to hire hire someone or not.

Just because the country is short on skills does not mean that companies will hire anyone, it's easy to hire someone who is useless but very difficult to get rid of them.

Anyone who has spent any considerable time living in Australia would know that there are plenty of immigrants who would have had to have some sort of skill to satisfy migration requirements and are working at something totally different because they find it difficult obtaining a job in their specified field. Instead they are doing other occupations such as working in

Driving Taxi's
Petrol stations
Fast food
7-11 convenience stores.

It does not matter if you are on a 175, 176, or what ever. It's when you are sitting in a interview in front of 3 suits is what counts.

No visa not even ENS is any guarantee to getting/keeping a job if you are not suited to what an employer is looking for in a candidate.
Hey, appreciate your frank and honest comments bet you're saying these from your own experience or seeing some real situation ones.

I'll keep my hope high and will remember to secure a job before making my big move downunder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.