I've just flown into serious panic mode!!!

Old Mar 16th 2004, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default I've just flown into serious panic mode!!!

I am applying as spouse on my husbands PR. We are aready in Adelaide and today we got our meds and police check requests through.

I have just struck a potential big problem that hadn't occurred to me until DIMIA pointed it out.

My birth certificate says my original name, but my marriage certificate states the name i took whilst living with my ex for 16yrs. They want written proof of name change. I don't have written proof because back then it was legal to just change your name to that of your partner providng you did so on everything including your driving licence, passports, bills and all other correspondence.
I am scared stiff this is gonna ruin eveything as i have no way of proving it!!!

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:57 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've just flown into serious panic mode!!!

Dear PP,

You should send a statutory declaration to this effect in. You could also include certified copies of passports, drivers licenses etc from the period.

This is not an uncommon situation for DIMIA and generally doesnt wont cause a refusal.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 9:21 pm
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]I don't have written proof because back then it was legal to just change your name ..... providng you did so on everything including your driving licence, passports, bills and all other correspondence.

Has anyone else had this problem?
I beleive it is still one of the ways to name change, deed poll being the other.
The less formal method can/does lead to complications but it is not illegal
Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Podgy, my husbands name on his birth certificate is different to the one on his passport (when he was a child his Mum married her new husband and they just starting calling my husband by her new surname, it was never done 'properly').

We just did a Stat Dec, provided copies of his drivers licence etc, which showed that the name on his passport was the one he has always lived by, and our visa came through, no problems.

good luck, adelaidegirl
Old Mar 17th 2004, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

jodie is an unknown quantity at this point

Podgy

dont panic same thing happened to my fiance, we supplied a stat dec and the visa was then granted the same day !

good luck

jodie

Originally posted by adelaidegirl
Podgy, my husbands name on his birth certificate is different to the one on his passport (when he was a child his Mum married her new husband and they just starting calling my husband by her new surname, it was never done 'properly').

We just did a Stat Dec, provided copies of his drivers licence etc, which showed that the name on his passport was the one he has always lived by, and our visa came through, no problems.

good luck, adelaidegirl
Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jodie
Podgy

dont panic same thing happened to my fiance, we supplied a stat dec and the visa was then granted the same day !

good luck

jodie

Thanx for your help everyone. I managed to speak to my case officer today and she told what you guys said, so i am back to being my calm and aimiable self